Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PCI-e Passthrough with KVM/QEMU & LSI IT Mode SAS card

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
PlunderingPirate9000

PCI-e Passthrough with KVM/QEMU & LSI IT Mode SAS card

#1 Post by PlunderingPirate9000 »

I'm trying to get an LSI SAS card (flashed for IT mode) working with a KVM based VM.

I am using lib-virt to manage the VM.

This is something I am quite new to so I don't have much experience in this area. I've been vaguely following this source...

https://mathiashueber.com/pci-passthrou ... l-machine/

I believe I have a problem with my configuration, because for some reason the RAID superblocks are "dissappearing" when I reboot the hypervisor machine.

Also, when I reboot the hypervisor, before starting the VM, all the drives connected to the SAS controller appear on the desktop as icons as if they were regular drives to be mounted.

I don't think this is the expected behaviour. But maybe I'm wrong?

The main issue I have is I don't know how to test my configuration, and I don't know what I should be looking for. Any help / advice / pointers in the right direction greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the somewhat vague question.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PCI-e Passthrough with KVM/QEMU & LSI IT Mode SAS card

#2 Post by CwF »

If you are passing the controller there is no need to have valid modules load up to use it in the host! ? So they would not appear on the desktop if you blocked or unloaded those!

But, to do so, get the drives serial;

Code: Select all

# udevadm info /dev/sdx
....stuff
E: ID_REVISION=CC46
E: ID_SERIAL=ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9
E: ID_SERIAL_SHORT=9VPBXMK9
E: ID_TYPE=disk
more stuff...
Create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-hide-partition.rules with the long serial with udisks2:

ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
...and they go away.

On the host with only vfio, the guest should be able to grab the controller bios, yes? Some controllers like to have the bios file loaded in the guest xml. I have not passed a storage controller for a few generations, I'm sure vm types matter and they have changed.

PlunderingPirate9000

#3 Post by PlunderingPirate9000 »

CwF wrote:If you are passing the controller there is no need to have valid modules load up to use it in the host! ? So they would not appear on the desktop if you blocked or unloaded those!
Sorry I don't quite understand the point being made here. What are the "valid modules" you are refering to here?
But, to do so, get the drives serial;

# udevadm info /dev/sdx
....stuff
E: ID_REVISION=CC46
E: ID_SERIAL=ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9
E: ID_SERIAL_SHORT=9VPBXMK9
E: ID_TYPE=disk
more stuff...
Create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-hide-partition.rules with the long serial with udisks2:

ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="ST31000528AS_9VPBXMK9", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
...and they go away.
Is this something I should or should not be doing? If so why? What does this do?
On the host with only vfio, the guest should be able to grab the controller bios, yes? Some controllers like to have the bios file loaded in the guest xml. I have not passed a storage controller for a few generations, I'm sure vm types matter and they have changed.
Again, I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you're saying here...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

PlunderingPirate9000 wrote:Is this something I should or should not be doing? If so why? What does this do?
Good question. keep thinking!

PlunderingPirate9000

#5 Post by PlunderingPirate9000 »

Bumping incase anyone wants to actually contribute some helpful information.