Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Struggling to get Intel Wireless 7260 Adapter working.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Epeon

Struggling to get Intel Wireless 7260 Adapter working.

#1 Post by Epeon »

I have installed Debian via usb iso. I have run the lspci -nn command and have determined that my wifi adapter is Intel Wireless 7260 [8086:08b1]
I currently cannot connect to my wifi router and a search in the setting brings up the prompt: 'No wifi adapter found'. After some digging I have found that I need a firmware package, I believe iwlwifi. I have no idea how to get it working. I have a second laptop I can use to download the package and a usb to move files.

arzgi

Re: Struggling to get Intel Wireless 7260 Adapter working.

#2 Post by arzgi »

Yes, firmware-iwlwifi is the package you need, it is non-free.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Epeon wrote:After some digging
Your digging skills are poor...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142808

I mean, really — did you not search the forums before posting? Or read the official installation guide?
deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

At the risk of piling on, just searching the forum for "7260" shows the same exact question for the same adapter was asked and answered here last week!
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

PILE ON, KILL THE NOOBZ !!!!

Errr, just being a dork. :) Ummmm though for real, RTFM or die. More kidding. :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Jeesh, you'd think that they'd teach kids some search-fu in schools today. Or is that not a thing?

And you kids stay off my lan!

Epeon

#7 Post by Epeon »

All I am asking is how to install the package without access to the internet from the laptop. But now I get piled on because im new to debian. Wow. I spent all of yesterday figuring out the package and searching on how to get it to work. From scratch. I am extremely confused as to the process, but people dont help, they just insult me.

Epeon

#8 Post by Epeon »

I searched the forum, for network and for wifi adapters. I tried to find something. All of yesterday. I tried. But no. I must be an idiot.

Epeon

#9 Post by Epeon »

Ill just figure it out by myself. Thanks A LOT.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Epeon wrote:how to install the package without access to the internet from the laptop
Download the .deb package using another machine then transfer it to a USB stick, copy it to your Debian box and install it.
Epeon wrote:But now I get piled on because im new to debian.
No, you "get piled on" for starting a totally unnecessary thread. If you had bothered to read the official installation guide then you would have used the ISO image that already supplies the non-free firmware.
Epeon wrote:they just insult me
Not yet, Tinkerbell :mrgreen:
deadbang

Epeon

#11 Post by Epeon »

I did read the forum and the installation guide. Did I mention I was new to this? I tried to install debian 3 times before I got it working. But instead of simply being redirected and corrected, I get chastised for seeking help.

" copy it to your Debian box and install it."

I did say I don't know how to install it. :mrgreen: Mind explaining? The article on it doesn't help.

"No, you "get piled on" for starting a totally unnecessary thread. If you had bothered to read the official installation guide then you would have used the ISO image that already supplies the non-free firmware."

I did read both the forum and the installation guide, but I did say that I AM NEW TO THIS. I had to install Debian three times before I got it working. And now my lack of knowledge on how debian drivers work has lead me here. I don't get redirected and pointed in the right direction no, take a guess what happens. I did search the forum. Searching Network does not bring anything useful up, and searching wifi brings up a dude who already has it (the one from last week) but can't see the wifi hotspots. But no I overly lazy and didn't bother did I. Not for two days (one for research and initial iso download, 2nd for installing and getting it to work.) . To set up debian. Only to get chastised for asking for help, after trying my very best to find the answer first. What a great, helpful community.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Epeon wrote:I did say I don't know how to install it. :mrgreen: Mind explaining?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=728787#p728787
deadbang

Epeon

#13 Post by Epeon »

Thank you for the quick reply, I'm trying it now.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

So you didn't even search the forum for "7260" like I did and suggested you also do in my post? You have to be more specific in those type of searches than "wi-fi adapter", otherwise your search-fu will always be weak! At least we're not whacking you with bamboo poles like the kung-fu master in a training montage!
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-10-17 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Epeon

#15 Post by Epeon »

Mission success guys. Thank you for the help.