Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

OpenGL replacement for KVM?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kerryhall

OpenGL replacement for KVM?

#1 Post by kerryhall »

I recently upgraded from Debian 8 to Debian 10, but in the process noticed that VirtualBox is no longer supported.

I managed to convert the VDI for my windows test VM over to qcow2, and it seems to work.

However, there is a small issue: OpenGL no longer works.

I don't need anything fast, I just need OpenGL windows to not render either a black or white screen.

Specifically, one of my main use cases here is confirming that I can open Reaper projects in Windows, with all the plugins working correctly. (Cross platform audio projects)

The plugin in question is Dragonfly Reverb, and unfortunately the GUI uses OpenGL for rendering.

So the plugin loads, but the GUI is simply a white window.

(I have a few other misc use cases that require OpenGL also, so I would like to try and solve this problem for the general case)

I'm guessing I either have to: 1. Set up some sort of hardware passthrough for the video card or 2. Install some sort of software OpenGL driver for windows.

Is 1 even possible with KVM? Seems like the preferable option at least.

I didn't see any reference to OpenGL here:

https://wiki.debian.org/KVM

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: OpenGL replacement for KVM?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It is possible to enable OpenGL under QEMU/KVM by using the virtio video drivers, for example:

Code: Select all

kvm -m 4G -drive file=/path/to/image.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=none,if=virtio -soundhw hda -vga virtio -display gtk,gl=on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#virtio
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

^ That is for Linux guest only.
I don't know the status of virtio/qxl for newer windows, but I don't think it's there yet.
An additional gpu is the way to go with kvm. Quadro drivers will accelerate the 3D in a QXL driven vm on the host gpu if you'd prefer not use the direct output of the necessary extra gpu, it's slow still. 'Looking Glass' may mature, a similar render back to the host from a secondary gpu approach. MxGPU with amdgpu could kick but but it's vaporware in FOSS, and needs SR-IOV. There is no equivalent 'kvm-guest-graphics-additions.deb' as with that other virtualizer.

kerryhall

#4 Post by kerryhall »

Is there a solution for Linux host + Windows guest?

kerryhall

#5 Post by kerryhall »

Still wondering if this is possible. Any options?

kerryhall

#6 Post by kerryhall »

Clarification: I have the video card set to "Virtio", 3d acceleration enabled.

Display Spice set to listen type none, OpenGL box is checked.

When I try and boot the vm, it just closes virt-manager entirely.

Everything boots fine if that OpenGL box is unchecked, but of course I don't have 3d acceleration in Windows.

kerryhall

#7 Post by kerryhall »

Unfortunately this is still an issue...is there any fix for this?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

kerryhall wrote: 2022-04-05 01:40 Unfortunately this is still an issue...is there any fix for this?
The same as I stated the first time. You should be watching drivers available for your Windows flavor of choice, that is where the change is needed. I don't pay much attention since I still use additional gpu's, and XP, for which I don't expect any advancement.

I parted out my mxGPU boxes, it may never mature in the open amdgpu version either.