Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

'iconbar mode' in Fluxbox [Solved]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
tpprynn

'iconbar mode' in Fluxbox [Solved]

#1 Post by tpprynn »

The toolbar in Fluxbox seems either still buggy or eccentric in how it works to the point of being hard work.

I've tried using the 'icons and 'noicons' setting chosen from the toolbar menu but it seems either the program disappears from the desktop or from the toolbar, and can then only be found by looking at the workspace icons. I had found this before in both Debian and Ubuntu and possibly Manjaro so I'm not thinking it's something I did. It seems a bit long-winded. Is this a bug? Fluxbox is essentially an abandoned project isn't it? I'm quite keen to stick with Fluxbox but this issue has stated to stand out now. (Can Fluxbox be used without its toolbar, substituting lxpanel or something?)

Thanks.
Last edited by tpprynn on 2020-10-22 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: 'iconbar mode' in Fluxbox

#2 Post by oswaldkelso »

Fluxbox is essentially an abandoned project isn't it?
Well the dev mailing list was answering questions last mouth so it seems very much alive. Though the Debian version is very old. There are many projects that are to all intent and purposes "completed" but by no means "Dead" Even some that are no longer developed upstream. Their users won't let them die. Openbox, evilwm could be labelled as such and my favourites, Rox-Filer & spacefm. Best gui file managers bar none!

If you think you have a real bug file it. If it get's fixed in Debian, chances are it will be fixed everywhere.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

tpprynn

Re: 'iconbar mode' in Fluxbox

#3 Post by tpprynn »

Apologies, I think. I had thought the iconbar mode menu had distinct sections regarding the toolbar and workspaces but I can see that the default was 'workspaces' which having now reselected that has restored sanity, to the desktop and me... The toolbar is behaving. I don't know if this thread should be deleted, maybe others will be as clumsy as me and my mistake will be a help, if clumsiness is what it was. If a mod feels this is a waste of space and should be deleted that's fine.

I appreciate having my attention drawn to the things you mentioned there though. I liked DWM when I tried it, and all low tech-looking, minimalist stuff is appealing to me, especially if there is no splodgy, gaudy gtk3 theme. Spacefm is very handsome and I'd never tried it.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: 'iconbar mode' in Fluxbox [Solved]

#4 Post by oswaldkelso »

No need. Reading back I could have sounded less abrupt. Glad you fixed it.

To answer your other question, yes you can run another panel. I have tint2 in my fluxbox running fine though it uses as much ram (2.9MB) as fluxbox it's self! The killer feature for me in fluxbox is tabs, it all depends on how you like to work.

I to like minimal systems and normally run icewm, evilwm and notion4. I like all of them better than a full DE but notion4 is so easy and complete OOTB. I've not even needed a status bar or other workspaces in general use. I guess I'd set one up specifically for the gimp or a set project. But damn it's nice. (boring but efficient) If you like dwm then you may like it.

They don't generally delete threads here. No such thing as a stupid question and all that. I'm sure there are many of my posts I'd like to remove but better to help others when they search the same questions.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian