Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install hangs at "discover (amd64)" - unrecognized hardware.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Tonto

Install hangs at "discover (amd64)" - unrecognized hardware.

#1 Post by Tonto »

Two years ago I purchased a Qotom MiniPC and successfully installed Debian 8.2, subsequently upgraded to 10.1.

I've just purchased a second Qotom of the same model (Q190N). However, 10.1 failed to install, as does the latest 10.6. Both hang after reporting "Installed discover (amd64)".

Further investigation revealed:

1. PCLinuxOS live disk and install also hang at what appears to be the same point: hardware discovery.
2. Puppy Linux runs fine.
3. System Rescue CD 5.3.0 (Gentoo based) runs fine, as does the latest SRCD 7.0 (Arch based).
4. ArchBang Linux installs cleanly and runs fine.

From this I conclude that the hardware is OK, but the Debian and PCLinuxOS hardware discovery utilities have not yet advanced to the hardware I am using.

The hardware lister (lshw) in SRCD reports the following:

1. Same in both:
a) BIOS: AMI.
a) CPU: Intel Celeron J1900 1.99GHz.
b) Host Bridge: Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Driver: iosf_mbi_pci.

2. Earlier Qotom:
a) BIOS version: CLBTM210.
b) CPU version: 6.7.8.
c) Host Bridge Version: 0e.

3. Later Qotom:
a) BIOS version: 5.6.5.
b) CPU version: 6.7.9.
c) Host Bridge Version: 11.

It may be that the required upgrade is already in the queue, perhaps in "testing" or "unstable". However, I've never used either and am unsure how to incorporate them during the installation process if this can solve the problem.

I'd be most grateful for any assistance in resolving this issue as I cannot use my new box until it's fixed.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Install hangs at "discover (amd64)" - unrecognized hardw

#2 Post by Bloom »

The ony thing I can think of is that the kernel you're using doesn't recognize the cpu.
To see if that's the problem, you could try the Testing release:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... onfree.iso

This is Debian Testing Live Edition with non-free or closed source firmware and an XFCE desktop suitable for systems with limited memory.

Try that and see if it still stalls.

Tonto

#3 Post by Tonto »

Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Since you've already tested with other distros, you could also test MX Linux AHS or KDE 19.2, since it already has those backports on top of Debian 10 for exactly your new hardware situation (it has the 5.6 kernel, new firmware, newer Mesa, etc.) Even if you don't like it,at least it would confirm that buster plus backports will work,and you can run Quick System Info from its menu and give us a much better idea of your hardware than "cpu version 6.7.9". Thanks!
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-10-22 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Tonto

#5 Post by Tonto »

Many thanks! Spot on topic and problem! Had seen MX at the top of Distrowatch but hadn't got around to investigating.

Give me a day and I'll post back.

Tonto

#6 Post by Tonto »

Well, that was REMARKABLY painless. Perhaps the quickest, cleanest and best presented installation process I've followed.

I've never liked SystemD and tried to support Devuan when they started, but ... getting a new distro going is a slow process, and they never quite seemed to know where they were headed. Lost patience, though I wish them well.

OTOH MX seems to have brought together a talented and competent team with a clear vision of what they're about, and perhaps even more importantly they seem to cooperate harmoniously and productively. I've therefore decided to make MX my base distro, since what I've seen on their website is much in line with my own ideas and preferences.

To complete this thread, here's the relevant output from Quick System Info:

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: AMI model: Aptio CRB serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 5.6.5 date: 02/25/2019
CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Celeron J1900 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Silvermont
family: 6 model-id: 37 (55) stepping: 9 microcode: 90C L1 cache: 224 KiB L2 cache: 1024 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 16000
Speed: 1333 MHz min/max: 1333/2416 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1333 2: 1333 3: 1333 4: 1333

Most grateful to stevepusser for his suggestion. I've long been wanting a Debian-based distro that better suited my needs than Deb itself, and may at last have found it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Tonto wrote:10.1 failed to install, as does the latest 10.6. Both hang after reporting "Installed discover (amd64)".
Which installer did you use? There are three (or more if you count the "advanced" versions) — the curses & GUI implementations of the traditional Debian installer (accessed from the boot menu) and the new Calamares installer (accessed from the live environment).

EDIT: *shakes fist at stevepusser for stealing a user* :mrgreen:
deadbang

Tonto

#8 Post by Tonto »

> Which installer did you use?

Initially the slang (or whatever) terminal-screen one, being my preference. Then went to the advanced options and got a working installation without X prior to desktop installation.

i doubt that the installer has any bearing on it since they're just "different faces" to the same behind-the-scenes processes.

I don't "blame" Debian for this. It has a monster job to do maintaining and developing perhaps the largest suite of FOSS repositories in existence, and ensuring that they are comprehensive and robust enough to serve as the basis for many others. That's quite enough of a challenge without expecting that it should always be up-to-date.

My own needs are somewhat different from any hypothetical "average" or "median" User. As a private individual I've never liked the trend towards corporate and commercial Users that began when GRUB2 took over from GRUB: frankly, GRUB2 is so different that I regard it as an imposter. Nor do I like or need UUIDs in /etc/fstab; I always replace them with device names. And the less said about SystemD the better.

But with such huge and varied User bases, the big distros must make appropriate choices. Us small fry must make shift as best we can, and finding a smaller distro that meets unique needs is always an unexpected blessing.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Tonto wrote:10.1 failed to install, as does the latest 10.6. Both hang after reporting "Installed discover (amd64)".
Which installer did you use? There are three (or more if you count the "advanced" versions) — the curses & GUI implementations of the traditional Debian installer (accessed from the boot menu) and the new Calamares installer (accessed from the live environment).

EDIT: *shakes fist at stevepusser for stealing a user* :mrgreen:
They can always use Debian in a virtual machine on MX! Shoot, if you count chroots running on my machine right now, Debian outnumbers MX four to one!

Though I'm still a little mystified by how recent that Celeron CPU is. The BIOS date seems to be right after the Buster freeze, so a newer kernel may have been enough, like on your own Debian backports respin.

I'm not sure if more users are always a good thing. Right now, there seems to be a new group that wants the whole Deepin DE packaged and added to the MX repo, but wants me or another packager to do all the work. :roll:
OTOH MX seems to have brought together a talented and competent team with a clear vision of what they're about, and perhaps even more importantly they seem to cooperate harmoniously and productively.
[Cue spit take.]

Tonto

#10 Post by Tonto »

I've been using Lx for two decades and have always been amazed at its achievements. Perhaps the most remarkable social creation of any age, but don't expect any recognition of this from the MSM or the corporate sector. I've also admired the ability of those involved to cooperate as they do, given my experience as a hardware design engineer (thankfully now retired).

Yep, I'll BET there's any amount of arguments, infighting and endless compromises. But I remain deeply grateful for what they've done.

The Celeron's an old core. I'm surprized it's still around, but continue to favour it because it's good enough for my needs and one less source of possible hassles. However, it's continually re-buried in new surroundings, which seems to be where the problems arise - the bridges, new GPUs etc. More difficult now that the Chinese are so endlessly innovative, since you DON'T expect English docn, but I've had very few hassles, esp considering the complexity of the whole shebang. Remarkable technology.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

The MX dev team* actually gets along pretty well, and we all pretty much agree on our goals, so there's very little, if any, infighting.

If there are any questions, I just have to explain why I'm always right, and they almost always agree. /s :mrgreen:

* Does not equal forum moderators, I didn't even know HOAS left over the matter of his sig, and support BLM. :? Though I am in liberal California, Santee is a regressive backwater (Santucky), and there are a lot on conspiracy nuts I overhear every day, even buying into "libruls are sucking andenochrome out of tortured children and getting high on it in their secret underground lairs!" in spite of the fact that the drug is already legal, inexpensive, and has no psychedelic effects at all.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Tonto wrote:i doubt that the installer has any bearing on it since they're just "different faces" to the same behind-the-scenes processes.
The installers available from the boot screen use the same backend but the version in the live environment is completely different.
stevepusser wrote:how recent that Celeron CPU is
I think it's quite old actually: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 2-ghz.html ← that says Q4, 2013.
stevepusser wrote:I'm not sure if more users are always a good thing
Amen to that, I'm trying to keep SharpBang's userbase as small as possible. At the moment all my users are awesome, which is nice.
stevepusser wrote:HOAS left
Well I'm sure the MX forums can manage just fine without my half-hearted, low-level troll posts :mrgreen:
Tonto wrote:SystemD
It's spelled "systemd" actually... :x
deadbang

Tonto

#13 Post by Tonto »

> ... gets along pretty well, and we all pretty much agree on our goals

Your website reflects that.

> I just have to explain why I'm always right

Have the same problem with my own underlings.

> the version in the live environment is completely different

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

> I think it's quite old actually

Thanks for the comment and esp the link. Yes, it's venerable bordering on ancient. Anyone aware of the ugly truth of the i3, i5, i7 suite (selected die flaws) knows that engineering aesthetics were defenestrated with their introduction. What's wrong with steam power, anyway?

> It's spelled "systemd" actually...

The King always insists on Deeply Meaningful Capitalization. I ALWAYZ pays me respekts to Hiz Majesty.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stevepusser wrote:how recent that Celeron CPU is
I think it's quite old actually: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 2-ghz.html ← that says Q4, 2013.
Old is relative. My daily is a Core2Duo E8500 released Q1 2008. Works great running siduction, or multi-boots with Buster, AVL (Stretch), or Win7. Somewhat slower than my i5 6500 production system though. :D

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stevepusser wrote:HOAS left
Well I'm sure the MX forums can manage just fine without my half-hearted, low-level troll posts :mrgreen:
I was going to comment on this before but desisted as it was going to be harsh. I'll temper it and just say the forums are the worst part of MX. Mods treat everyone like children (although many deserve it), "Qualified Forum Guides" often give random incorrect solutions to posted issues.
Devs are generally cool and do some great work, although I saw dolphin_oracle and anticapitalista post directly contradicting information within a few posts of each other today. Good distro especially for noobs, bad forums.
There I said it, softly. Sorry for continuing OT.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Tonto

#15 Post by Tonto »

For those who missed the Quora post and are wanting more ammunition to harrass and antagonize the Slimy Degenerates who favour that Sodding Dog of a Startup Disaster, SystemD, HERE BE TREASURE! Prime yer muskets and draw yer swords, me hearties, and slorter the scurvy scum! Aaargh!

Q: Why do some people bash systemd? Is there really something terribly wrong with it?

A: To get an idea, at a very high level, of how insanely large and complex systemd actually is, run the following on a Linux system that uses systemd:

systemd-analyze dot --user --order | dot -Tsvg > systemd-user.svg

This will give you a graph (in svg format) of the system dependencies in systemd. So, now you want to view it. I hope you have a really high resolution video system, because the level of complexity-the number of modules and dependencies between them is almost mind-bending. Here's a shot of part of the graph:

This is expanded to the point that (at least on my monitors) the labels are just barely readable-and at that size, it's much too large to fit on my pair of 1440p monitors-looks like it would probably fit on three of them though. If you wanted to view it all at once and expand it to the point that it was easily readable...you'd better have a big desk. I'd guess at least three 30 inch 4K monitors would be a reasonable starting point in that endeavor.

UNIX Version 7 was a complete, production-quality operating system written in about ten thousand lines of code.

Systemd uses about 1.3 million lines of code just to do initialization!

Tonto

#16 Post by Tonto »

For Head_on_a_Stick:

Yes, I know. It's spelled "slaughter". And I DO know what it means.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

@Tonto this topic seems to have left the rails many posts ago. Apologies for contributing to it's decay. There are dedicated systemd bashing topics of many pages elsewhere in the Discussion section, please take further comments there.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Tonto

#18 Post by Tonto »

Agreed. Willdo.