Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

High CPU usage on playing video files

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bester69

Re: High CPU usage on playing video files

#21 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Vainfo said their hardware didn't support vp9 hardware decoding, but should h.264.

VLC should support vaapi automatically, so the user should download some hidef h.264 video to test in VLC from the terminal to see if that works.

VLC can also play Youtube URLs, but YT may have broke it for Debian's as they do so often. I just sent up a patched 3.11.1 to MX repos to address that problem (I get the current youtube.lua file from VLC's github and make that into a patch).
Strange, VLC's YT has never broken in Stretch unless ive no been realised.. Ive never ever had any trouble wathing youtube vids in VLC...indeed, I always wondered why youtube.dl broke so often and VLC's not.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Debian's Chromium builds for Stretch and Buster have never supported vaapi, and neither have official Ubuntu builds. Read the changelogs and look at the patchsets before claiming that.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

VA-API is unsupported by the Chromium developers: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=137247

Use at your own risk :D
deadbang

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian testing version supports vaapi via a patch, and I left it in for the MX 19 backport. Works so far, and no complaints about it so far from those here using my port from the OBS repo. I have a money-back guarantee, of course. :mrgreen:
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

I don't see any problem with high CPU usage for browser videos as long as they play. Good to give CPU some exercise so it grows strong muscles. :mrgreen:
If I want vaapi, I'll download the video and play it with MPV.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!