Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Full kernel builds using only the pre-built DVD iso images

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
xl600

Full kernel builds using only the pre-built DVD iso images

#1 Post by xl600 »

I’m in a bit of a bind. My employer only provides me the ability to download the pre-built iso DVD images for Debian. These are actually mirrored internally on special servers which house the only software authorized for use within the company (no exceptions).

This hasn’t generally been an issue as the vast majority of packages I’ll ever need are contained on the first three dvds. The only exceptions are specific dependencies needed for building kernels and the kernel sources for pae and the real time build.

Can I suggest the notion that it would be very helpful if these could be included within the first three ISO images? There must be ways to squeeze these into those iso images. Almost everything is already there, so it makes sense to ensure those images also have enough to completely build kernel images.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Full kernel builds using only the pre-built DVD iso imag

#2 Post by arochester »

As the name of the forums says, we are Debian users.

If you want to suggest what should be on the ISOs you will need to contact Debian developers. They don't come here (as far as we know.)
Debian Development
If you have questions that are more development related, there are several development mailing lists in Debian that you can use to contact our developers.

The general development mailing list is debian-devel: you can subscribe to it and then send e-mail to debian-devel@lists.debian.org.
Source - https://www.debian.org/contact

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

So, your employers won't budge even if you explain your mysterious (to us) absolute need to rebuild your own kernel?

If you're accessing the Net with outdated Debian packages, that policy seems stupid, frankly.
MX Linux packager and developer

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

I've read, that the order how Debian install disks are built is the result of popcon popularity contest.
That means the most installed programs goes to disk 1.

Installer asks if you want to participate.