Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi for Intel NUC

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Depechie

Wifi for Intel NUC

#1 Post by Depechie »

I have an Intel NUC with following wifi chip Wi-Fi 6 AX201.
So I already installed iwlwifi but Debian still not recognises the hardware, I guess I need to install the correct firmware too from : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html

So: Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz 5.2+ iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz

But what does that Kernel number mean ( sorry a bit of a Linux noob ), do I first need to verify something to be sure this is ok?

Depechie

Re: Wifi for Intel NUC

#2 Post by Depechie »

After some more digging, it seems this driver is only good for kernels 5.2 and up.
This means I need to upgrade my Debian kernel. I noticed some folks stating 5.8 is not that great, so assuming I want to install 5.3, do I need to takel snapshot: http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/linux ... .0-3-amd64 ?

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

The kernel 5.2+ means kernel version 5.2 or higher, which is almost surely available in the buster-backports repository. You have to add that to your sources.list and then install at least kernel 5.2 or higher. Would go with higher, can get whatever firmware or drivers of newer version (if available) from the backports too.

To be honest though, since you're asking this, how you're asking it and very clear at this point you're uncertain of such things, would say install Mx linux, though opt for systemd as the init in the OS, people mistakingly (foolishly) clinging onto SysV are out of touch in many ways. Which hey, Mx offers the choice ...

Anyway, go with something newer user friendlier than Debian proper and then come back to Debian when-if you come to a point where you can appreciate all it has to offer people, which is A LOT, personally now, wouldn't, will never use anything else, given the choice, however started out with something more geared towards new nixers. Debian proper is not so much a hey, easy n peasy, noobz come cut your teeth kind of distro.

Only 2 cents on this. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Depechie

#4 Post by Depechie »

Hey Deb-fan, yeah I know the Linux learning curve is there... but I try to pick it up.
But to provide more details, I'm running the Intel NUC for Home Assistant and Debian is the preferred ( and also for them the supported ) version of Linux to use. So I'm going to ride this one out ;)

Like I said in my other message, I found out I indeed need to upgrade the kernel, after adding the backports, I notice only 5.8 is available. If we take that into account and look on this forum, it seems several users have issues since that version.
So I was wondering if I rather not take a snapshot version ( like for example 5.3 ).

But I can't find much info on how to do a kernel install of a snapshot image... And also what image would be the best?

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Was going to mention that too, wasn't sure if this is new(purchased)hardware etc. Was also going to advise doing as that link advised if you can and contact Intel NUC support, they're sure to be familiar with gnu/Linux and/or does this home assistant thing have anything IT-deptish ? Would hope so, yeppers, seems whoever this is has excellent taste in Nix in favoring Debian stable. Somewhat suggests tech-compentent people.

They don't have a preferred iso for people to use ?

People having issues with whatever really doesn't mean much, newer hardware overall means opt for newer kernel, same for firmware too. Debian stable by nature is lagging in terms of newest hardware support, people can't have all the benefits of long time tested, long term supported etc software and bling of latest, greatest and cutting edge out-of-box. Gnu/Linux period tends to be lagging, even Arch or Gentoo or whichever others are still having to play catch-up to get the best support for newest hardware goodies. That's bound to change though, is changing blahblah. Until there's enough user$, enough intere$t and it's growing.

Anyway, don't know what issues these other people are having. MANY times it's pebcak in nature, refuse to google, refuse to RTFM, shoot themselves in the foot, blame xyz kernel or anything else, shrugs. You say they "prefer", indicates you have a choice, two what seem to be worthwhile avenues then ...

1. There's a global moderator on these forums Head_on_a_stick, one of the green fellows. He has a link to an upgraded install iso in his sigline. That is Debian Buster, only he's smoothed a bunch of the rough edges for folks with newer hardware and Hoas does know his tech + nix. So if Debian stable it should-shall be, seems that's the path of least resistance for you.

2. Mx linux ... ( also seems to get plenty of positive feedback and do much for benefit of users. Stevepusser also is no slouch when it comes to nix imo.) As close to Debian proper as anything I can think of, though with some added benefits for people who can't setup Debian for themselves ...

Also never said Debian proper can't be awesome for whomever, at whichever stage but yep, get ready for reading of F'ing manuals, docs and plenty of quality time spent with Google Inc. :D Learn enough folks can use Debian to make anything out of an operating system they wish. It's not called the "Universal OS" for nothing. That's about all I can think to try to help ya out here. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

sgosnell

#6 Post by sgosnell »

I've had no issues with 5.8 on my NUC. It's not the same version as the OP, but it shouldn't be that different. If 5.8 does give problems, it's easy enough to boot to a different kernel. You can have, and should have, multiple kernels available, just in case. There are several 5-series kernels available in Buster backports, and you can install any of them. You can install via Synaptic or the command line, whichever you prefer.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Depechie

#7 Post by Depechie »

Hey @sgosnell thx for the info! Maybe as reference, what NUC are you using? I'm on a NUC10i5FNK.

Depechie

#8 Post by Depechie »

So I upgraded the kernel to 5.8, deployed the needed intel ucode files in /lib/firmware, but still they are not loaded:

Code: Select all

[    3.772213] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    3.773868] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-56.ucode (-2)
[    3.773873] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-56.ucode failed with error -2
[    3.773883] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-55.ucode (-2)
[    3.773885] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-55.ucode failed with error -2
[    3.773894] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-54.ucode (-2)
[    3.773896] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-54.ucode failed with error -2
I now see that the new debian bulsseye iwlwifi package has the support for AX201 ( https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-iwlwifi ), so what is the course of action now? Can I already configure debian 10 to use this driver too?

Depechie

#9 Post by Depechie »

Alright solved it!
I needed to add all the buster-backports to the dep and with that I could install an updated iwlwifi package that has the support!

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

If you don't want to go to the trouble of adding and then disabling the backports repo, backported firmware debs can be manually downloaded and installed instead: https://packages.debian.org/buster-back ... re-iwlwifi

at the bottom of the page.
MX Linux packager and developer

sgosnell

#11 Post by sgosnell »

My NUC is a BXNUC10I7FNK1, similar to yours, not exactly the same CPU. I have the i7, you apparently have the i5, but not a lot of difference.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.