Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub fwsetup

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
saratoga

Grub fwsetup

#1 Post by saratoga »

I just installed debian 10.6. This is my first experience with debian. I have used Ubuntu in the past. When I start up the PC I get a screen that says "GNU Grub version 2.02" and a prompt "grub>". Thru trial and error it appears that inputting "fwsetup" is the correct response. This gets me to a screen that gives me "F9 Boot Device Option". So, I press F9 and I get to a screen for the boot manager. Here I see a choice for Ubuntu, which was the operating system replaced by debian, and a choice for debian. I choose debian and and the PC boots up to debian. This seems like an incredibly long and awkward process. Ubuntu was not this difficult. What am I doing wrong?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grub fwsetup

#2 Post by p.H »

Looks like an HP computer. Some have broken UEFI firmware.
The first GRUB prompt is Ubuntu's.
What is the output of the following command at the grub prompt :

Code: Select all

echo $cmdpath
What is the output of the following command in a Debian shell :

efibootmgr

saratoga

#3 Post by saratoga »

You are correct, it is a HP 15 TouchSmart, 2014 vintage.

From the grub command echo $cmdpath I got (hd0,gpt1)/EFI/ubuntu

I opened a MATE terminal, typed in efibootmgr, and the output is below

jeff@Laptop2:~$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,3000,0002,2001,2002,2003
Boot0000* ubuntu
Boot0002* debian
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3003* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

When you installed Debian, you kept the existing EFI partition instead of reformating it or recreating a new one, so Ubuntu's GRUB was not wiped.

$cmdpath=(hd0,gpt1)/EFI/ubuntu shows that the machine boots using Ubuntu's normal boot entry, not the fallback loader in /EFI/Boot.
Bootorder= shows that Ubuntu is first in the EFI boot order, and Debian is 3rd after an internal drive.

In order for Debian to boot first, you can change the boot order manually with efibootmgr (see man page) or try to reinstall GRUB with

grub-install
Note that you can boot directly with Debian by pressing F9 when you start the computer.

saratoga

#5 Post by saratoga »

I used efibootmgr -b 0 -B to delete the Ubuntu Grub. I verified this by typing in efibootmgr and looking at the output. When I restarted the PC I was back at the Grub command prompt. I typed in echo $cmdpath and got "error: can't find command (hd0,gpt1)/EFI/ubunt". Pressed F9 and got to the boot manager which still showed Ubuntu. I got to debian, opened a Xterm window, typed in install-grub and got an error message "bash install-grub command not found". Do I have any other options?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

Yes : type the right command.

saratoga

#7 Post by saratoga »

p.H. -

I have no knowledge of grub or efibootmgr, this is my first exposure. I have been learning by trial and error. After reading the man page I used the command "efibootmgr -A -b 0", and I was able to inactivate the Ubuntu grub and successfully boot into debian. You may consider this the "correct command", but I do not. I do not because it does not solve the root problem, the Ubuntu grub is still there. I attempted to delete the inactive with "efibootmgr -b 0 -B", however at the next reboot the Ubuntu grub became active and I was back at the starting point.

I will figure this out myself. With a graduate degree in engineering, two professional engineering licenses, seven years college teaching experience, and forty years industrial experience I solved many technical problems; and I will attack this one with the same tenacity. If for some reason I can not, then I will live with it; it's not the end of the world.

I thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

p.H wrote:In order for Debian to boot first, you can change the boot order manually with efibootmgr (see man page) or try to reinstall GRUB with

grub-install
saratoga wrote:I got to debian, opened a Xterm window, typed in install-grub and got an error message "bash install-grub command not found". Do I have any other options?
p.H wrote:Yes : type the right command.
Hopefully grouping these closely together will reveal your error...

saratoga

#9 Post by saratoga »

During the installation process I chose the option to erase all data from the partitions. Then I continued with the installation process. The system now boots normally in to debian.