Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen after succesful install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
SivMonkey

Black screen after succesful install

#1 Post by SivMonkey »

Hello, im relatively new to linux, I messed around with it years ago, heard about buster and wanted to try it out.. Never had an issue with installing a Linux OS, but when i installed debian buster 10.3 it reboots and goes straight ito black screen after initial startup sequence. No login screen.. Nothing. straight to black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. not a mouse cursor.. text, a caret. Pretty sure i didnt have to explain that.. whatever but through my research i have found only fixes for ubuntu black screen issues but i've tried everything to my limited "knowledge" of a linux os. but im pretty positive it is an issue with my nvidia graphics card... but i cant get to anything inside the os itself to install the driver package... and i cant find a distro that offers the software package in the installation media itself. I've consulted the wiki and know i need buster-backports but have no idea have to achieve getting to it without being in the OS. So if someone could please lend a hand to a down on his luck simple windows pal, to have i can achieve installing debian and being able to boot into the OS having the drivers i need.

I have Nvidia RTX 2070..
Thanks.

SivMonkey

Re: Black screen after succesful install

#3 Post by SivMonkey »

Thanks it looks like you are on to something with that link and I was trying to execute it but couldn’t most likely because of the mirror that I chose in installation so I went to reinstall deb and now grub boot loader is opening into bash terminal... something went wrong but did everything the same and even just completely formatted partition and did fresh install... now I’m trying to figure out how to fix this. Any ideas? Thank you though for the link as well the link you posted looks like it’s for amd cards or that’s just all that he mentioned and it’s for any recent graphics cards because as I mentioned I have Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070.

Again thank you for the link!

Chrisdb

#4 Post by Chrisdb »

You should really get to the point with your posts. They're really bloated with irrelevant info. Tip: use paragraphs.

What are your system specs? Is your system using bios or UEFI? The partitioning probably screwed up your installation.

How did you partition your drive?

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

SivMonkey wrote:the link you posted looks like it’s for amd cards or that’s just all that he mentioned and it’s for any recent graphics cards because as I mentioned I have Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
My linked guide applies to all AMD cards, any Skylake or newer Intel cards and any NVIDIA cards not using the proprietary drivers (if you didn't install them yourself then you're not using them).

EDIT: and it just so happens that I do identify as male but I still prefer an impersonal pronoun (ie, "they mentioned"). Thanks.
deadbang

SivMonkey

#6 Post by SivMonkey »

it’s fine man. I’ll figure it out. Thanks tho

sarahk99

#7 Post by sarahk99 »

SivMonkey wrote:the link you posted looks like it’s for amd cards or that’s just all that he mentioned and it’s for any recent graphics cards because as I mentioned I have Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
My linked guide applies to all AMD cards, any Skylake or newer Intel cards and any NVIDIA cards not using the proprietary drivers (if you didn't install them yourself then you're not using them).
You may also want to take a look here https://pro-academic-writers.com/blog/h ... c-abstract
EDIT: and it just so happens that I do identify as male but I still prefer an impersonal pronoun (ie, "they mentioned"). Thanks.
could you share some info about this "proprietary drivers”??
are they any better than normal ones?
Last edited by sarahk99 on 2020-11-08 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

mrkapqa

#8 Post by mrkapqa »

i am having same issue on a
fresh install debian 10.6 on a a SSD with legacy+uefi hybrid mode.
whole ssd is for debian,
but after installation just black screen; graphics card is gtx 1650.

debian installer could detect the graphics card and suggest to install the driver, for newbies like me, if otherwise there is no desktop?

mrkapqa

#9 Post by mrkapqa »

it seems the error with the black screen does occur only when debian is installed in UEFI mode;
when i boot from USB Installer in legacy mode, then after installation i would get a usable desktop;

nouveau (for nvidia) would state "unknown device" but atleast one can start into desktop and then from there install the (non-free)nvidia drivers;

don't know if there are any downsides of not using UEFI with a modern motherboard; but atleast this way, using legacy mode, one is able get into a working desktop with newer nvidia-graphics-card.