Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I boot from iscsi over pxe using QNAP

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hgzlp

How can I boot from iscsi over pxe using QNAP

#1 Post by hgzlp »

Background:
I got a computer with harddrive removed and trying to setup this as a diskless computer.
On the computer bios, I setup boot from onboard NIC
I downloaded the installation packages from http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/b ... s/netboot/
I have a QNAP228 can provide DHCP, TFTP and ISCSI service, and it seem I got it setup correctly.
I put untar the netboot.tar.gz and put them in the TFTP root folder
On the dhcp server, I set the TFTP sever ip address and the bootfile to the pxelinux.0
I setup an iSCSI target and thick LUN for 100GB.
boot the computer, I can go to the standard debian installer gui
After it failed detect the local drive, I can continue with no disk and configure iSCSI volumes
Then the installation continue and install the GRUB boot loader to the MBR, then finished.

Problem: Now the problem comes, how can I boot in this newly installed debian on the iSCSI?

following this instruction https://backreference.org/2013/12/23/di ... pxe-howto/ at the PXE session ( I think I already installed debian on the iSCSI drive )
from another computer, git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git , cd ipxe/src; make

edit a file like this as test.ipxe

Code: Select all

#!ipxe
dhcp
#set keep-san 1
#set initiator-iqn iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-xxxx:iscsi.test.xxxxxx
sanboot iscsi:192.168.1.2:::0:iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-xxxx:iscsi.test.xxxxxx
#:rootp
exit
make bin/undionly.kpxe EMBED=test.ipxe

copy the bin/undionly.kpxe to the sftp root
and change the dhcp boot file to this file