Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to start X in tty7,without DE & DM?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
miltonx

How to start X in tty7,without DE & DM?

#1 Post by miltonx »

I am using debian 10.6 with lightdm and awesomeWM, set to autologin. I hope to remove lightdm and successfully tried the method in this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=123694.
However, it starts x in tty1, or tty2-6 by changing settings, but not in tty7 as lightdm does. Tty7 does not show prompt line and cannot login.
How can i make it work on tty7 as lightdm by default does?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to start X in tty7,without DE & DM?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

If the 'startx' (or 'xinit') command is used then the graphical desktop must be started on the same TTY from which the command is run in order to maintain a working login session. So if you want to have the graphical desktop on TTY7 (why?) then you will have to enable TTY7 in /etc/systemd/logind.conf and get 'startx' to run from there. I can't be bothered to investigate how to make TTY7 the default for logins so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
deadbang

miltonx

#3 Post by miltonx »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:If the 'startx' (or 'xinit') command is used then the graphical desktop must be started on the same TTY from which the command is run in order to maintain a working login session. So if you want to have the graphical desktop on TTY7 (why?) then you will have to enable TTY7 in /etc/systemd/logind.conf and get 'startx' to run from there. I can't be bothered to investigate how to make TTY7 the default for logins so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
Fair enough to know that tty7 would take extra settings. Just curious how lightdm does it. If it is unrealistically cumbersome, i wont bother either. Thank you!

Hartford56

#4 Post by Hartford56 »

Most DE's etc will be well behaved and will add a selection for themselves to ... On Debian, even without a DM, startx already calls up a lot of startup stuff ... or put them in ~/.profile if you want them to apply for tty sessions too PupilPath Login