Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

getting rid of dead keys

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
morgon

getting rid of dead keys

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

I run testing and have a german keyboard with "dead keys" used to input accented characters, a feature I don't need.

So I want to get rid of them.

One way that works is to run "setxkbmap de nodeadkeys" within X, but I always thought the proper way to do such a thing is via "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration".

So I ran that and selected a layout with no dead keys - but that did not change anything.

So my questions are: Why does ""dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" not work (am I doing something wrong?) and what would be the proper way to get rid of dead keys systemwide?

Please note: I do not run a DE (GOME or KDE may have dialogs for such things) but only run i3.

Many thanks!

reinob

Re: getting rid of dead keys

#2 Post by reinob »

From what I can tell you configure /etc/default/keyboard.
In my case I have

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS="compose:caps,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

BACKSPACE="guess"
Then the systemd keyboard-setup.service calls /lib/console-setup/keyboard-setup.sh, which in turn calls "setupcon -k", which does the actual work.

morgon

#3 Post by morgon »

I have this in my /etc/default/keyboard:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
I believe this content comes from running "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration".

However I still have dead keys (even after a reboot). Something is missing...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

morgon wrote:Something is missing
Check localectl(1).
deadbang

morgon

#5 Post by morgon »

When I run localectl without arguments I get this:

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
                  LANGUAGE=en_US:en
       VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: de
       X11 Model: pc105
     X11 Variant: nodeadkeys
But I have dead keys.

When I run "localectl list-keymaps" I get

Failed to read list of keymaps: No such file or directory

morgon

#6 Post by morgon »

I still have my dead keys and would be thankful for futher ideas on how to disable them.

Many thanks!

reinob

#7 Post by reinob »

Just to make sure we're not missing anything.
Can you check that you have "console-setup", "console-setup-linux" and "keyboard-configuration" installed?
(I guess at least keyboard-configuration is installed, since you mentioned using dpkg-reconfigure..)

Also, you say you run i3 and not a desktop envionment.
Do you run X manually (startx) or use some sort of login/display manager? (lightdm or such).
(I use lightdm with openbox, so no DE but a DM).

Other than that, maybe it's really something to do with testing (I use stable).
You could report it is a bug in keyboard-configuration and hope that someone either tells you what you've done wrong or can fix the bug if it is one.

As a workaround, if you use a DM, you can add your "setxkbmap de nodeadkeys" to your .xessionrc :)
(if no DM, then to .xinitrc if I remember correctly..)

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

reinob wrote:As a workaround, if you use a DM, you can add your "setxkbmap de nodeadkeys" to your .xessionrc :)
(if no DM, then to .xinitrc if I remember correctly..)
~/.xsessionrc also applies if 'startx' is used.

And ~/.xsession should be preferred over ~/.xinitrc:
man startx wrote:Note that in the Debian system, what many people traditionally put in the .xinitrc file should go in .xsession instead; this permits the same X environment to be presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to start the X session.
But those files are not needed at all because 'startx' will automatically launch whatever is set as /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager (or /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager if nothing supplies x-session-manager) if there is no ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc
deadbang

morgon

#9 Post by morgon »

Yes, "console-setup", "console-setup-linux" and "keyboard-configuration" are all installed.

I run lightdm and i3.

What is really stange to me (but then I don't really understand how this stuff works) is that even though in /etc/default/keyboard there is an explicit entry "XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
I have dead keys not only in my X-terminals but also on the virtual text-consoles (if that is the proper term).

reinob

#10 Post by reinob »

Then it looks like it may be a bug in testing (which is good, as that is the whole point of testing testing :)

I have the exact same config, but instead of testing I use stable, and instead of i3 I use openbox.
nodeadkeys works as expected.

(I also map the "Caps Lock" to "Compose", so that I can still enter some characters not available on the keyboard).

morgon

#11 Post by morgon »

reinob wrote: Can you check that you have "console-setup", "console-setup-linux" and "keyboard-configuration" installed?
I have now upgraded these packages to the newest version and ran "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" again.

I my virtual consoles the dead keys are gone now so that's good.

Unfortunately in the terminal-windows under X I still have dead keys.

I really don't get this...