Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Libre Office will not open after installing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
conclave

Libre Office will not open after installing

#1 Post by conclave »

I have used LIbre Office on Debian 8 and 9 with no problems opening the different included programs: Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Base. With Debian 10 cannot open any of these programs after installing the programs through the Synaptic Package Manager and also tried the Software on-ine option, although troubleshooting find LibreCad does work okay. After installing either way I get this message when attempting to open any of the programs: "Libre Office 6.1 - Fatal Error, The application cannot be started. {context= "bundled"} caught unexpected com.sun.star.deployment.DeploymentException: Extension Manager: failed to read data entry in backend db: file:///home/stephenlponpod/.config/libreoffice/4/user/extensions/bundeled/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.help.PackageRegistryBackend/backenddb.xml". Have no idea what all this means or how to correct this problem and get LIbre Office working. The Calligra Suite and AbiWord work fine.

I have 4 different operating systems on this computer: Windows 10, AV Linux 2019, Fedora Design Suite 30, and Debian 10.0 to start yet upgraded to 10.6. Have installed software manually using the Synaptic Package Manager off-line with burned iso discs to DVDs. Used iso discs 1,2, and 3 downloaded and burned for Debian 8 in the past, and purchased from OSdiscs.com the complete repository set for Debian 9.4 and 10.0 (OSdiscs no longer available). Have added entire repository into Synaptic Package Manager, indexed the entire repository set for Debian 9 (worked very well) and Debian 10 (a lot more problems and disappointments).

I seem to have a lot of problems with Debian 10 compared to past use of 8 and 9. File sharing between other computers hooked up through ethernet cables and hub hardware (off-line without modem) rarely work anymore, too often find myself going back to using thumb drives for copying files between computers. Samba used to work connecting between Debian 8 and Windows on other computers using minidlna, yet nothing works anymore with 10. WINE works well with Fedora 30 and 32 yet have never been able to get this working with Debian. Debian has also removed a lot of nice programs for multi-media playing like Amarok and Banshee in version 10. I am keeping Debian 9 on two other older computers, both also have 4 different operating systems. These other computers will upgrade (use latest Fedora Design Suite 32) yet staying with older versions of Debian, do not like what I have experienced on other computer that I have installed Debian 10. I have tried both Mint and Ubuntu as alternatives yet do not like these operating systems as much compared to Debian 9 series.

I'm by no means a developer or engineer and have little programming experience except for years ago 1980's in college computer science courses such as using Pascal and Basic as an Accounting major. Over the past 15 years use computers intensely for graphic arts design, my personal on-line art gallery web site and listening to music while painting,drawing and doing other things. Have picked up on the use of Linux through books I have purchased such as "Linux Bible" and "Linux All in One for Dummies". I lot of what I have mentioned as problems have caused me hours of trying things on my own using book reference yet cannot solve these problems. With this forum thread if anyone could help with the one problem of LIbre Office I would most appreciate your time and consideration.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Libre Office will not open after installing

#2 Post by sunrat »

One issue at a time please. It's unfortunate you are having multiple problems but reading through a wall of text to find half a paragraph which is relevant makes it difficult.
If LO has never worked, delete (or better, rename) the config folder /home/stephenlponpod/.config/libreoffice/ and try launching it. If that fails, delete it then reinstall.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

conclave

#3 Post by conclave »

Apology for my writing being too long, not an active user on this forum. Have used Linux off-line with no internet connection or communication for many years in the past, library use when necessary. Due to problems created by Covid 19 recently hooked up to internet.

Anyway, tried your suggestions and nothing works to correct the problem. Not too big an issue here since the alternatives work Calligra Suite and Abiword when using this operating system. I simply hoped someones attention to this problem might be useful for people developing, at least in this book "Linux for Dummies" they suggest participating and communications with support community would help by bringing problems to the attention of people that may be able to correct problems.
Libre Office on this same computer works fine with Windows 10 and Fedora Design Suite 30 in any situation where I need to use it.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Have used Linux off-line with no internet connection or communication for many years in the past, library use when necessary. Due to problems created by Covid 19 recently hooked up to internet.
Which begs the question, where did you get Libre Office? How did you install it? While I'm at it, where did you get Debian 10? Install disks are always out of date so (now that you are connected to the Internet) do as root :

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
. Does Libre Office now work? If not, do as sunrat says and reinstall doing

Code: Select all

apt install libreoffice

If that doesn't solve it, post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list .

conclave

#5 Post by conclave »

I have solved the problem and have Libre Office running properly. The solution was not exactly anything easy, reinstalled the operating system. Lost a lot time consuming work, forgot about something that was important on the operating system and did not move the stuff somewhere else.

I hope this time no such problems arise. Beginning to get frustrated with all the problems facing the use of Linux. Years ago getting into Linux I was lead to believe this operating system was better than Windows, I am beginning to have my doubts about that belief.

sgosnell

#6 Post by sgosnell »

Some people are just better off staying with the Windows they know. Learning new things can be more effort than they are willing to expend.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.