Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

{Solved} Unofficial vs Official ISO Question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
DarthMole

{Solved} Unofficial vs Official ISO Question

#1 Post by DarthMole »

Hello! First thank you for any time and help you spend on this post, it is very much appreciated. Second, while I have installed a couple different distros so far, on different machines, and can fumble around until I get done what I need to I'm still very much a newb. I'm currently dual booting MX Linux on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13inch. While it runs pretty well I feel that Debian's reputation of being rock solid is better suited to my needs.

So I went to download the distro, and after watching a few YouTube videos came across the existence of the non-free unofficial ISOs to help with hardware compatibility. I found those no problem and was about to download the ISO linked here:

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... 4/iso-dvd/

When I noticed that the official ISO linked here:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/

Had two more ISO files than the unofficial. I admit I was confused because I figured the non-free, with what I assumed to be more hardware support, would be larger than one that didn't, aka the official. I'm not sure if I'm assuming incorrectly, am in the wrong folder, or what but any clarification or help, as mentioned above, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Last edited by DarthMole on 2020-11-26 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Unofficial vs Official ISO Question

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Read the non-free firmware section on the pages to which you have linked. That's the only difference between the images and the firmware packages are so small that they make no practical difference to the size. You can use the second & third official ISOs with the non-official image if you need the extra software and do not have an internet connection. Please read the Debian CD FAQ before asking any more questions.
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Those extra files are DVD2 and DVD3 which contain extra software packages only really useful if you don't have an internet connection. Normally software packages are installed from the online repositories. The unofficial non-free image contains only extra firmware to help with hardware compatibility. If you don't have internet, DVDs 2 & 3 can be used to install extra software packages including if you used the non-free image.

Snap HoaS! Posting anyway as I don't like wasting all this typing. :D
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

DarthMole

#4 Post by DarthMole »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Read the non-free firmware section on the pages to which you have linked. That's the only difference between the images and the firmware packages are so small that they make no practical difference to the size. You can use the second & third official ISOs with the non-official image if you need the extra software and do not have an internet connection. Please read the Debian CD FAQ before asking any more questions.
Thank you very much for the clarification. If I ever find a FAQ that can dynamically answer my specific questions/clarifications, regardless of its initial content, I'll make sure I don't waste that forum's time. Hopefully I won't need to ask anymore questions here as it seems that my way of thinking, and the questions it may spawn, doesn't fit well with this community's mods. Have a nice day.

DarthMole

#5 Post by DarthMole »

sunrat wrote:Those extra files are DVD2 and DVD3 which contain extra software packages only really useful if you don't have an internet connection. Normally software packages are installed from the online repositories. The unofficial non-free image contains only extra firmware to help with hardware compatibility. If you don't have internet, DVDs 2 & 3 can be used to install extra software packages including if you used the non-free image.

Snap HoaS! Posting anyway as I don't like wasting all this typing. :D
Thank you for the clarification and information.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: {Solved} Unofficial vs Official ISO Question

#6 Post by sunrat »

We do expect people to do a little searching before posting but sometimes information is a little hard to find. You are welcome to ask questions here if you can't find the information you are looking for. That's what the forum is for. :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!