Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install tails on debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
username1100

install tails on debian

#1 Post by username1100 »

how can i install tails services in debian , do i just have to download the packages one by one, onion circuits . tor .. etc ? is there a way to install all package dependencies without installing them 1 by 1

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: install tails on debian

#2 Post by arochester »

Tails is derived from Debian. It is not a part of Debian.

You would normally install Tails on a USB stick and reboot into it.

https://tails.boum.org/install/expert/u ... ex.en.html

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

arochester is correct but their is an alternative, the Tor Browser. The Tor browser is essentially Firefox configured for security and flushed through the Onion router system. Tails uses Tor as its centerpiece.

username1100

#4 Post by username1100 »

arochester wrote:Tails is derived from Debian. It is not a part of Debian.

You would normally install Tails on a USB stick and reboot into it.

https://tails.boum.org/install/expert/u ... ex.en.html
Yes I am aware. I use it via live usb.

What I am asking is if its possible to install all it's programs / or merge it with my Debian system

username1100

#5 Post by username1100 »

Bulkley wrote:arochester is correct but their is an alternative, the Tor Browser. The Tor browser is essentially Firefox configured for security and flushed through the Onion router system. Tails uses Tor as its centerpiece.
I want the onion circuits to route all traffic through for and then use a VPN on top of that. To create a tunnel chain.
If I install the onion circuit from the Debian package centre will it be the same as on tails or is there more tweaking to be done ?
I don't like booting between usb's so id like to merge tails with Debian if possible

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

It's been a while since I've played with that but I think you can install Tails to an hard drive if you want. Consider doing a fresh install with Tails as a replacement for Debian. This would be most useful on a laptop that you travel with.

An alternate to Tails is Liberté Linux. It's a bit out dated though.

Several years ago Debian User Forums had several long threads about secure Internet browsing. It might be worth a search.

For most of us Internet risks are mostly a nuisance. In some parts of the world Internet risks include death. When your browser or cell phone disclose your location to the wrong people things can get really nasty.

By the way, ipleak is a good tool to check out how your browser looks to the Net. Down at the bottom there are tips on blocking links.

The Tor setup that I linked to above uses a customized Firefox with the NoScript extension. On my system I use Firefox-esr with the NoScript extension but I exported the Tor NoScript settings and use them in my Firefox. There are lots of tricks like that you can do.

Unnecessary security can slow your browsing. For most of us there is a balance.

username1100

#7 Post by username1100 »

it must be possible to install all packages that are on tails on debian seeing as tails is built on debian.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#8 Post by arochester »

it must be possible to install all packages that are on tails on debian seeing as tails is built on debian.
No.

Start with Debian. Add something. Take something away. Change something. The end result is not Debian. It is something else, in this case Tails. Tails has things which are unique to Tails and are not found in Debian.

The point of installing it to a USB is anonymity at your end. When the USB is removed from your computer there is no trace whatsoever left on your computer by Tails - like booting from a LiveCD. If you install it to your Hard Drive who knows what traces will be left behind?

sgosnell

#9 Post by sgosnell »

There is no point in using Tails on your home computer. Tails is designed to be installed on a USB drive, which is used to boot a public or non-secure computer, run a session, and leave no evidence on the host computer that it was ever run. Doing this on your home computer is useless. If your concern is anonymous browsing, run Tor on your Debian computer. If your concern is having someone find incriminating data on your computer, use Tails from a USB drive. But running Tails as an OS on your desktop just makes no sense. That's not what it's for.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.