Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windowed software changing video settings of entire screen

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kerryhall

Windowed software changing video settings of entire screen

#1 Post by kerryhall »

Running into a very strange issue.

Certain software seems to be changing either the brightness or the gamma of my entire screen.

Culprits include xscreensaver, zandronum, and various games. xscreensaver runs full screen, but I run most of my games in windowed mode, and the brightness/gamma is changed on the entire screen somehow.

To change the brightness/gamma back to normal, I just have to run "nvidia-settings" and not change anything. Simply running that and closing it does the trick.

I would rather not have to do this 50 times per day, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Debian 10, nvidia-driver 418.152.00-1.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Windowed software changing video settings of entire scre

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kerryhall wrote:is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Have you tried the nouveau driver?

Otherwise just throw that crappy NVIDIA card away and buy something decent that actually co-operates with the Linux graphics stack :mrgreen:
deadbang

Scorpion

#3 Post by Scorpion »

Do you change some setting with nvidia-settings?

You can make a script and add it to the system so you can launch it also from the terminal.
And you can add a keyboard shortcut and a launcher.

After I exit my games the brightness is reset to normal.

Debian 10, nvidia-driver 418.152.00.

Gusikowski

#4 Post by Gusikowski »

Press Alt+Enter while you’re playing a full-screen game to enable windowed mode. You can press the shortcut again to switch out of windowed mode and re-enable full-screen mode, too.

This keyboard shortcut doesn’t work in every PC . It’s up to the game’s developer to support it, but it does work in a wide variety of games—both modern PC games and older Windows PC going back to the 90s.
If this keyboard shortcut doesn’t work in the game you’re currently playing, you’ll need to open the PC game’s graphics settings window and choose full-screen or windowed mode instead official site

This keyboard shortcut even works in some applications that aren’t games. For example, in Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, and the new Windows Terminal, you can press Alt+Enter to toggle between full-screen and windowed modes for your terminal.