Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gcc-10 packages in debian 10.6

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
habibie

gcc-10 packages in debian 10.6

#1 Post by habibie »

I just migrated one of my computers from ubuntu 20.04 to debian 10.6 and found out there isn't any gcc-10 package in the debian 10.6 repository. Can anyone here please tell me if there is any 3rd party that supports gcc-10 for debian 10.6?

sgosnell

Re: gcc-10 packages in debian 10.6

#2 Post by sgosnell »

Migrating from Ubuntu 20.4, based on Debian Unstable as of spring 2020 is not a great idea. A new installation would be better. There will be many package conflicts. The gcc-10 package is available in both Sid and Bullseye. Your best bet is to just remove it from your Buster machine. It's only use is for compiling programs, and if you aren't doing that, it's not necessary. The earlier version in Buster, gcc-8, will work just as well if you really need it.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

sgosnell wrote:Migrating from Ubuntu 20.4, based on Debian Unstable as of spring 2020 is not a great idea. A new installation would be better. There will be many package conflicts. The gcc-10 package is available in both Sid and Bullseye. Your best bet is to just remove it from your Buster machine. It's only use is for compiling programs, and if you aren't doing that, it's not necessary. The earlier version in Buster, gcc-8, will work just as well if you really need it.
Yes, this. ^^^^

I hope you don't have the notion that getting gcc-10 in Buster will mean that you can magically run Ubuntu 20.04 packages in Debian. It doesn't work that way.

I have done gcc-8 for the Stretch-based MX Linux 18 experimental repo for certain programs that required it, so am familiar with the process and amount of work involved (a lot). Maybe you don't really need a newer gcc--tell us what you need it for.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-12-07 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

habibie

#4 Post by habibie »

sgosnell wrote:Migrating from Ubuntu 20.4, based on Debian Unstable as of spring 2020 is not a great idea.
I see your point now. Unfortunately, I just don't think ubuntu 20.x is a great idea, too. With ubuntu 20.x, it randomly crashes my computer. The memtest86+ run from boot menu also randomly crashes. Both this memtest86+ Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz) package (download link) and the one from debian 10 package run perfectly find to confirm no defect found in the RAM of my computer. Perhaps, I should try Mint Linux.
The gcc-10 package is available in both Sid and Bullseye.
I wonder when will gcc-10 be fully ported to debian 10.

habibie

#5 Post by habibie »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe you don't really need a newer gcc--tell us what you nedd it for.
Yes and I really need gcc-10. Recently, I bought some C++ 20 books and try to learn C++ 20. AFAICT, gcc-8 only supports up to C++17.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

habibie wrote:I wonder when will gcc-10 be fully ported to debian 10.
Never.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sgosnell

#7 Post by sgosnell »

If you really need gcc-10, you can upgrade to Sid. IME Sid is more usable than Testing, and breaks less often but is fixed more quickly if it does. Debian Stable is called Stable because it never changes. New packages are not added, only updates and security updates. Or you can wait for Debian 11, Bullseye, to be released in the spring of 1021.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

A newer llvm toolchain supports c++ std 17 (and c++ std 20) and has been backported to Buster by several parties.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-12-08 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

habibie

#9 Post by habibie »

sgosnell wrote:Debian Stable is called Stable because it never changes. New packages are not added, only updates and security updates.
Thank you for the above clarification. Now, it makes more sense to me why you made this Migrating from Ubuntu 20.4, based on Debian Unstable as of spring 2020 is not a great idea remark. And, now it also makes more sense to me that why debian 10 rel still contains all older versions of development libraries and/or tools.
Or you can wait for Debian 11, Bullseye, to be released in the spring of 1021.
I believe you meant 2021. If debian 11 will have gcc-10 and all development libraries and/or tools upgraded to the latest, I don't mind to wait. For instance, right now qt6 has just been released. Trying to compile qt6 on debian 10 rel is NOT possible, AFAICT. It requires cmake v3.18 or newer version while debian 10 rel still has cmake 3.13.4.

Looks like I will have to look for other Linux distro. Since I have a rather old 4-core Dell Inspiron 3252 computer with 4 GB RAM, I should probably try linux Mint.

sgosnell

#10 Post by sgosnell »

Yes, the 1021 was a typo. Bullseye should be released in 3 to 4 months or so. Debian release dates are never set in stone, new versions of Stable are released when they are ready, and not before. Personally, I prefer Debian Sid far more than Mint or anything else, but that's just my preference. Many distros based on Sid are available.
Bullseye has gcc-10, but will never have any later version. Stable does not change, and never gets newer versions of packages. So if you're concerned about using gcc-11 or higher at some point, then Stable may not be your best choice. The thing about Stable is that it never breaks. But insuring that it never breaks means never introducing newer software versions. It's a trade-off, and you should choose based on your needs. I keep one machine running Stable, just as an emergency backup, but most of my computers run Sid. It has new and shiny, and while it might break once in awhile, I haven't seen it in years. If an update does break things, it will be fixed quickly. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sgosnell wrote:Bullseye should be released in 3 to 4 months or so
Unlikely — the full freeze won't start until after March and it usually lasts about six months.

Reference: https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html
deadbang

sgosnell

#12 Post by sgosnell »

I could well be behind. I don't keep up that closely, and my memory can sometimes be faulty.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

If you want to practice coding, can't you just run testing/Sid/Ubuntu or whatever in a virtual machine/chroot/schroot/systemd thingy?