Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HDMI audio not working after system suspend

Need help with peripherals or devices?
manuelmagic

HDMI audio not working after system suspend

#1 Post by manuelmagic »

Hi,
On my Debian 11 with XFCE I usually use the HDMI audio output for sounds, since there are a couple of small speakers on it.
Everything works fine, until I suspend the system. After that I can only play sound on the internal speaker of my PC (it is a small thinkcentre desktop), sometimes any audio output is available.
In order to get the HDMI audio output again I have to restart my pulseaudio deamon with:

Code: Select all

$ pulseaudio -k
$ pulseaudio --start
Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times to get the HDMI audio output available again.
Since I usually suspend my PC instead of switching it off, this work-around is getting boring.

You can see a couple of images of my notification area here:

- just after the system is wakened (after a suspend)

- after the pulseaudio deamon restart

How can I solve this issue?

I tried to duck the web for this issue but I couldn't find any solution. I also tried to search on the forum archive, without success.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sgosnell

Re: HDMI audio not working after system suspend

#2 Post by sgosnell »

Do you really need to suspend? That's really only necessary on a laptop running on battery power. For a machine running on mains it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Be that as it may, I haven't seen that issue before. Check dmesg piped through tail when the suspend is resumed and see what error messages you see.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

In pavucontrol, go to the Configuration tab and switch the profile for the the device you are not using to "Off".
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

manuelmagic

#4 Post by manuelmagic »

Hi and thank you both for your replies.
sgosnell wrote:Do you really need to suspend? That's really only necessary on a laptop running on battery power. For a machine running on mains it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.
Well, with suspend I can keep all my programs open, otherwise I'd have to save and close everything and then reopen all my stuff every time.
sgosnell wrote:Be that as it may, I haven't seen that issue before. Check dmesg piped through tail when the suspend is resumed and see what error messages you see.
I tried to reproduce the problem suspending my PC a few times, but the issue wasn't happening: I still didn't managed to understand which conditions cause it.
I'll keep the suggestion when it will happen again, thank you.
sunrat wrote:In pavucontrol, go to the Configuration tab and switch the profile for the the device you are not using to "Off".
I'm not sure if this solved my issue or if it was a positive consequence of this guide https://wiki.debian.org/Xfce-power-mana ... leshooting that I followed in order to be able to auto-suspend the PC after a few minutes of inactivity without having to insert the root password, but for the time being the issue did not happen again.

I also tried to suspend the system manually and for inactivity a few time since I was curious tu understand what was the problem, looking also to dmesg output, but I wasn't able to pinpoint the root cause since there is no configuration that always reproduce the issue and a configuration where it never happens.

For the time being it seems solved. In your opinion having two different audio output enabled could cause it? Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manuelmagic wrote:On my Debian 11 with XFCE
There is no "Debian 11".
deadbang

sgosnell

#6 Post by sgosnell »

There is no "Debian 11".
Not yet, but soon.

sgosnell

#7 Post by sgosnell »

Perhaps we are not using suspend in the same context. Suspend means (at least to me) to write the contents of RAM to disk and put the system to sleep. If you have power connected full time, then it's simpler to just put the display to sleep and keep the system running. This is not the same as suspend.

manuelmagic

#8 Post by manuelmagic »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
manuelmagic wrote:On my Debian 11 with XFCE
There is no "Debian 11".
You are correct, I was referring to Debian Bullseye, currently in testing.

manuelmagic

#9 Post by manuelmagic »

sgosnell wrote:Perhaps we are not using suspend in the same context. Suspend means (at least to me) to write the contents of RAM to disk and put the system to sleep. If you have power connected full time, then it's simpler to just put the display to sleep and keep the system running. This is not the same as suspend.
I usually select "suspend" when I'm going away from my PC:

And I selected "suspend" in the Xfce Power Manager:

What you are referring is called hibernate.

From https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com ... ystem.html:
Sleep (suspend or standby)
This mode is also known as the standby, suspend, or suspend-to-ram mode. In this mode, Linux saves the current state of the system into the RAM and cuts the power supply of all devices except the RAM.

Hibernate
This mode is also known as the suspend-to-disk. In this mode, Linux saves the current state of the system into the hard disk and shuts down the power supply of the system. Since the current state is saved in the disk, the saved stated does not depend on the battery or external power supply.
I use suspend and not simply put the display in stand by indefinitely simply because it consumes less energy (I can hear the fan stop spinning completely) and the power status LED starts blinking on my PC instead of staying always on.

sgosnell

#10 Post by sgosnell »

Yes, my bad. Suspend just cuts power, that's what I do with my laptop. If saving a small amount of power is important to you, go ahead.