Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Strange UEFI installation

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Radvan

Strange UEFI installation

#1 Post by Radvan »

My old HD has gone. They gave me a SSD disc, some Samsung. It is NVMe most likely. The Debian 10 netinst CD does not know it in Legacy mode so that I had to switch to UEFI. Now, strange things started to happen.
(1) If I select "Advanced options" -> "Expert install", the installer does not find the disk, even in UEFI mode. It shows a short menu with "verify CD" and so on but with no disk related options.
(2) If I select "Install" , the installation runs. It seems to run OK to the end. Then the comp is rebooted and crashes with "Operating system not found". The end.
(3) Nevertheless, if I start the comp and invoke the boot menu (F12), and select "UEFI boot" -> "Debian", the installed Debian is found and runs.
(4) If I shut down the runnig Debian and then power on the comp again, I get "Operating system not found" again. I have to reboot and click on F12 until I get boot menu. Then select UEFI Debian.
(5) I also tried rescatux (0.73). It does not find the disk.

What should I do? I would like to get rid of the boot menu every time I start my comp. I would like to understand the nonsense above a bit. Any ideas?

It is Dell Inspiron 7720 (i7) so that the BIOS settings are rather none. The netinst ISO was Debian 10.6 .

Radvan

Re: Strange UEFI installation

#2 Post by Radvan »

Answering myself: I need to switch off not only Secure boot but also Legacy ROM suppert. Debian now starts without need to select it from the F12 menu.

Q: After switching off Legacy boot support in BIOS settings (F2), all boot options (CD, etc.) vanished. Survived only UEFI Debian and UEFI Network. Does it mean that I have to reenable the support before booting from a CD? For example, my Debian has crashed seriously for some reason and I need to reinstall...

[Edit] New feature has been discovered: Now, I cannot suspend the comp. Once suspended, the comp never wakes up. I have to powe off and power on. Is it possible to enable suspending now?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Strange UEFI installation

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Radvan wrote:I need to switch off not only Secure boot
Debian buster supports Secure Boot but some UEFI implementations require that the loader is marked as "trusted" from the firmware ("BIOS") menu.
deadbang