Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to compare two partitions?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
hack3rcon

How to compare two partitions?

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
In Windows OS, a tool like "WinHex" can compare two disks together? How about Linux? Any tools?

Thank you.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: How to compare two partitions?

#2 Post by arochester »

Did you find any useful results by searching for: linux how to compare two partitions

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

I apologize to for putting out this idea!

To cut to the end, if this is related to comparing your 'switch' OS disk to the copy attempts, then I think you will not find a difference in the user space of the disk. You'll be lucky if the difference is in the boot sector. If it's not, then screwed.

I suggested in that post, the difference does not have to be in the user space. It's called proprietary, contact the manufacturer of the 'switch'. If no love there, the manufacturer of the disk may have a utility that will help. Get ready for whatever OS usage, like bios tools, the availability is narrow and short lived.

'dhex' maybe...

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

I do not know this tool "WinHex".
What do you mean exactly by "compare" .? There are many ways to compare things together.
Disks or partitions ? This is not the same at all.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote:What do you mean exactly by "compare" .?
I didn't use WinHex either but FindandMount and HxD. With many hex editors you can open a device, I assume dhex can. So open two and page through or search, long process even when you know what you're looking for. PageUp is the first sector, PgDn to the last sector, you see it all. This all happens outside a 'mounted' filesystem and is the 'disk', including all partitions - OR just a partitions - same thing. If you know the markers, like MZ to start and the particular end of file markers - then from the hex editor you copy and paste into an empty file, name it correctly, and it opens! There is the file system stuff and meta data you can look through, but I still think the op's magic isn't to be found there...

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

You are not seriously suggesting to compare the contents of two disks or partitions with a hexadecimal editor by sight, are you ?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

I have no idea what OP's question even means.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

Me neither, this is why I asked for clarifications.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote:You are not seriously suggesting to compare the contents of two disks or partitions with a hexadecimal editor by sight, are you ?
Done it.
It's forensics.
Lately, data loggers that lose power and don't close a file. Scrambles things, so I know what to search and find a 2k segment that has a multi meg tail of data, I copy the data sector range to a file. The mounted filesystem shows that file, well, as 2k! So don't use the file system...I have recovered from damaged disk doing it 'by sight' yes, but only when I know what we want. I wouldn't just go fishing...But yes, that is how it can be done. You learn to read it after awhile, as good as a mime-type app at least...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote:I have no idea what OP's question even means.
I may have read right through the question and inferred from hack3rcon's other thread detailing a failure to duplicate some devices OS disk...These would be the two disk to compare!

Bail me out hack3rcon!

So with that in mind, my response, and my comment that hack3rcon will not find it. I don't know what device is in question, but do know industrial like things don't follow pc standards! The magic is elsewhere.

hack3rcon

#11 Post by hack3rcon »

p.H wrote:You are not seriously suggesting to compare the contents of two disks or partitions with a hexadecimal editor by sight, are you ?
Yes.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by p.H »

Well then go ahead.
Otherwise I would have suggested to simply use cmp to compare two files or block devices. I use it to verify a USB drive after writing an ISO-hybrid image to it.