Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XFCE4: disable extended screen with monitor not used

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
teus

XFCE4: disable extended screen with monitor not used

#1 Post by teus »

I boot my laptop to linux, with the lid closed and with an external display on the HDMI port. The system now decided to set up the monitors with extended displays, even though the lid is closed. I can only access the right display, and can't find a way to disable the internal (left) display. I can launch the display settings, but it only shows on the left display. On Windows theres some trickery to drag an application that's not visible by using the keyboard, but I don't find it for XFCE4.
xfce4-display-settings allows a --display flag, but I believe an extended display is only accessible as :0.0.

I see you can install a program or a script to solve it, but was wondering if there's a more convenient way to deal with this... either to disable the extended display, or launch xfce4-display-settings on a certain screen.

Dai_trying

Re: XFCE4: disable extended screen with monitor not used

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I had the same problem with a laptop that had a broken screen, I used the shortcut key to disable the primary display which forced everything to the second screen. I can't recall the shortcut and am working from a tablet at the moment so cannot check but I think it was Alt+d but please check before trying. If you use the keys Alt-Tab you should be able to make out which letter is underlined in the small preview window that shows.

teus

#3 Post by teus »

Dai_trying wrote:I had the same problem with a laptop that had a broken screen, I used the shortcut key to disable the primary display which forced everything to the second screen. I can't recall the shortcut and am working from a tablet at the moment so cannot check but I think it was Alt+d but please check before trying. If you use the keys Alt-Tab you should be able to make out which letter is underlined in the small preview window that shows.
that's funky. with alt-tab I don't see any underlined text.
I looked up alt-tab key combinations, and then saw Alt + F7 allows you to move a window with the keyboard arrows

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

If you have the display settings running on the primary screen (which you can't see) pressing Alt+Tab should allow you to switch applications, on my Xfce machines I can see a "preview" of the running application and if the display settings is one of them you can see (if you look closely) the underlined letters of Resolution, Refresh rate etc, which are the shortcut keys for that setting. some of the settings do not seem to do anything which I think is because there are multiple options, the option you want could be "use this display" and can be toggled. that reminds me it could be Alt+U???