Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Accesing windows shares through dolphin

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
pythagorasmk

Accesing windows shares through dolphin

#1 Post by pythagorasmk »

I have some windows machines on my network. I am trying to access windows share through dolphin. Server is listed under smb shares, but when I try to access it's shares dolphin returns "The file or folder smb://<Server>/ does not exist".
I can mount the share with mount -t cifs //Server/share /mount-point, but I don't want to search for IP address of the server. How can I access the share through dolphin.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Accesing windows shares through dolphin

#2 Post by CwF »

I don't know dolphin, but if the system is working check

Code: Select all

/var/run/user/*your id*/gvfs/
for the mount...

pythagorasmk

#3 Post by pythagorasmk »

CwF wrote:I don't know dolphin, but if the system is working check

Code: Select all

/var/run/user/*your id*/gvfs/
for the mount...
There is no gvfs sub-directory in /var/run/user/<my-id>/

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

pythagorasmk wrote:There is no gvfs sub-directory in /var/run/user/<my-id>/
There are multiple ways it seems, so your DE is part of this mess...
I use gigilo to perform the mount using gvfs-fuse and gvfs-backends. You will then have a mount listed there you can use in odd-compliant file managers. Some FM's will pick up the mount and use some linking, gnome bookmarks or something...the link at this location will be smb-share:domain= and so on...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

I'll add since you didn't mention release...I just tried in current bullseye as of now and my suggestion does not work, there is the directory, gigolo times out...So I'll check up on this...Something changed, or is broke.
During the test a few other stretch's and buster's work fine.

Side note, samba is not required but if you need extra settings, gigolo does parse etc/samba/smb.conf.

never mind...
#752190 [m| | ] [gigolo] [gigolo] missing dependency 'gvfs-backends' makes gigolo support only 'unix devices'
Thanks for the loop! Now I know...now more to add...
This loop has sent me to the archives. I have a tree of vm images all spawned from one. Since I use the solution I gave but rarely I discovered I had a flawed current image, and I can't find the issue. It manifest in a strange way - gigolo 5.1 in bullseye does work, however something is amiss. Access method matters and it shouldn't? Thunar doesn't work either - it can browse the smb share, read file details, but cannot copy from, or click into whatever default action. I get backend errors, even some gstreamer errors. However, since thunar has given troubles in the past I had SpaceFM configured also and in the same session it works fine! I traced the issue all the way back to 1932, that is week 32 of 2019, around buster is stable time. Some derivatives work, some don't. This covers bullseye too. I did lots of testing yesterday, some gigolo doesn't even work. Maybe kernels, maybe I don't know!

So, I have a current buster working fine, and many derivatives doing fine with what they do but can't browse smb. They don't need to but I'll scrap them anyway, it's trivial for me to plant a new tree...