Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Migration

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
millpond

Migration

#1 Post by millpond »

My Debian 10 system is on an ancient Seagate 320Gb drive that started clanking the other day (but is OK for now).
Time to change drives.

I have a 2Tb Hitachi formatted as:
100Gb Ext2 (Bootg)
~1.89 Tb Ext4 (Main - I do not separate /usr and /Home)
10Gb Linux Swap.

While I do have migration software, they do have a tendency to create identical partitions sizes - something I particularly do not want.

I am physically copying over the working drive to the 2TB using mc. Working off the old Seagate drive.

Some files will not copy. When I get to them, I will probably finish the job off of a Live DVD bootup. I am copyting over millions of files so want a usable system while that goes on.

This an an ancient C2D using MBR with no UEFI.

SO my question is: Is there a FAQ on this type of issue?
Do I need to fire up grub to set the MBR? Do I need to manually set the Swap partition in fstab? Any other 'issues' I should be aware of?

Is there a size issue with /Boot? I want it to be large, since I want to experiment with alot of different kernel compilations. As well as use it as temp storage as it can be seen from my Win7 boot (Ext4 does not seem to work there).

Reinstalling is a non-starter. The system is highly customized and should remain as-is outside of new drive size.
Last edited by millpond on 2020-12-25 23:58, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Migration

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I would use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rs ... tem_backup to copy the system over to the new drive then correct /etc/fstab & grub.cfg and install GRUB to the MBR of the new disk. If you use grub-mkconfig to generate grub.cfg then you would have to chroot into the backup with the API filesystems bind mounted[0] then run update-grub.
millpond wrote:Is there a size issue with /Boot? I want it to be large, since I want to experiment with alot of different kernel compilations. As well as use it as temp storage as it can be seen from my Win7 boot (Ext4 does not seem to work there).
Why on Earth would you want to use /boot (not "/Boot", there is no directory by that name in the FHS) as a shared partition with Windows? That's just weird. I wouldn't bother with a separate /boot partition at all, it seems like a lot of bother for no benefit.

[0] The arch-chroot command from the arch-install-scripts package will do that for you automatically.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I wouldn't bother with a separate /boot partition at all, it seems like a lot of bother for no benefit.
One benefit with old broken BIOS and large drives is to make sure that /boot contents and any metadata required to access it do not extend beyond the addressable capacity.

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

Instead of using /boot (which is fat32) to share with Windows, why not make a data partition formatted as NTFS? It probably wouldn't need to be large, but only you would know the needed size. Windows can certainly see and work with that, and so can Linux, if you have ntfs-3g installed.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

Where do you see that /boot is FAT32 ? According to the OP, it is ext2.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

I have just lost my lengthy reply, due to this boards odd insistence of not remembering the login when going to post!

In short:

The drive is fully copied over with mc.
Does ryync provide any extra capabilites I amy have missed?

Indeed it is /boot and not /Boot!

The basic steps from what I understand so far:
1. Set MBRwith Grub with chroot.
2. Set fstab with /boot (if used as separate partition), main, and swap partitions.
3. Is boot flag needed? Do not see this option in gparted!

And most of all:
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

PostScript:
The reason for the /boot sector partition is that was how the Debian DVD set up the system. I was not sure whether this was a new requirement, as Linux seems to be ever shifting these days, to the point where older FAQs are often no longer usable! I may go without it, as if it is a simple security enhancement, I can probably forego it on my single user system.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

millpond wrote:I have just lost my lengthy reply, due to this boards odd insistence of not remembering the login when going to post!
When that happens, log in again and then go back in the browser history two pages, to the page with your long post, and press post again.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:I have just lost my lengthy reply, due to this boards odd insistence of not remembering the login when going to post!
Most boards I use have a session time-out too. This one is not the shortest.
When this happens, open a new tab and log in again. Then refresh/resubmit the previous tab.
millpond wrote:The drive is fully copied over with mc.
Does rsync provide any extra capabilites I amy have missed?
I don't know what mc does. Does it copy all attributes (not only standard permissions but filesystem attributes, ACLs, capabilities...), preserve hardlinks... ?
millpond wrote:1. Set MBRwith Grub with chroot.
Actually you do not need chroot to install GRUB on the target drive. You can run grub-install with proper --boot-directory option from the source system. You only need chroot to run update-grub and generate grub.cfg (alternatively you can edit grub.cfg by hand like you do with fstab).
millpond wrote:3. Is boot flag needed? Do not see this option in gparted!
Neither GRUB nor Linux need it. But some broken BIOS may require it in order to consider a drive bootable.
I would be surprised that Gparted does not have the option to set the boot flag, but you can use any other partitioning tool (parted, fdisk...).

millpond

#9 Post by millpond »

mc is Midnight Commander. I use it to manage the filesystem. It copies everything that I know of (hidden, symlinks, etc).
Except, of course for /proc and possibly parts of /sys which I assume a bootup would fix anyway.

If I am incorrect about this:
I have lookied into debbootstrap, but am concerned that it is not appropriate as it appears to try to use the repo to add files.
Not acceptable here.

I did find that the boot flag is avaialble under gparted, but not on the main menu (where I am used to finding such things!).
I've set it.

BUT....
In going over fstab I noticed its mutated from what I am used to. The main partition is not listed as such, and is apparently as /dev/mapper. Also it has a lvm flag. To be on the safe side I have put an lvm (as well the previously noted *boot* ) flag on the new drive.

For the forum, I guess I just need to copy replies before pasting.
And hope somebody gets around to fixing timeouts.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:mc (...) copies everything that I know of (hidden, symlinks, etc).
I am sure it does. But does it copy all the properties such as extended attributes, ACLs, capabilities ?
Also, does it preserve hard links ? This means that if multiple pathnames in the source share the same inode, then the pathnames in the destination also share the same inode instead of having independent inodes.
millpond wrote:I have lookied into debbootstrap
debootstrap is for installing a new Debian system, not moving an existing one.
millpond wrote:The main partition is not listed as such, and is apparently as /dev/mapper. Also it has a lvm flag.
LVM is the Logical Volume Manager. This means that the filesystem is not in a plain partition but in a logical volume.
If you want to use LVM on the new drive, there are several ways :
- Create a new physical volume (LVM partition) and volume group on the new drive, create new logical volumes inside the new group, format them, copy the data, change logical volume names in fstab.
- Or create a new physical volume (LVM partition) on the new drive, add it to the existing volume group and move the existing logical volumes to the new physical volume and remove the old physical volume. Then you can extend the volumes to their new sizes.
millpond wrote:I have put an lvm (as well the previously noted *boot* ) flag on the new drive.
As most partition flags, the "lvm" flag is only informative. It does not turn a partition into an LVM physical volume.

millpond

#11 Post by millpond »

Is there a way to get rid of the entire LVM system.
I do not need it, do not want it, do not like it!

The migrated paerition will partially boot, even into X, but breaks at networking and a bunch ofother things. Apparently an LVM thing.
I cannot get to the net for repairr tools. Not saying I even knwo which ones to use.
Butt at least grub installs and the system can boot to my Win partition.

Somehow, some way it buggered up the original Seagate system. Same problem, though I did not putz around with grub or partitions with it. While testing the new drive the old one was *offline*. Weird.

The drives tested fine both in fsck and HDSentinel (low level testing). In fact it comes up at first saying the main LVM system drive is OK.

There are plemty of FAQS for removing drives from LVM (and they dont seem to work here), but noting about removing LVM itself.

Edited to add:
blkid is:
tretch:~# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="0db01b73-2b29-4381-9245-c7372d1a8e49" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="456b9605-01"
/dev/sda5: UUID="Ge1cEg-kpPA-U2QL-zct2-DCn4-UJjy-Mz10jL" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="456b9605-05"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="01D3E5B2406CAE00" TYPE="ntfs" PTTYPE="atari" PARTUUID="0002961b-01"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="1608BE2508BE0431" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="000acd9a-01"
/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root: UUID="92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-swap_1: UUID="7e135e6a-3a24-4be9-8a2b-787e9b166b50" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdd1: UUID="78bd93ca-75d9-d601-709d-91ca75d9d601" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-01"
/dev/sdd2: UUID="fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-02"
/dev/sdd3: UUID="703a0cd0-b294-40e7-b545-1b53f9452dc8" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-03"

It is /dev/sda5 that is the bugger.
Its got a non-standard UUID that is not in grub.cfg

I would want it removed totally from LLVM and assigned to its rightful place as /dev/sda2

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by p.H »

Please explain what is each drive sda, sdb, sdc, sdd.

sgosnell

#13 Post by sgosnell »

Removing the LVM setup you have involves reformatting the partitions and reinstalling the OS. It's certainly possible. When you do the reinstallation, do not choose to use LVM, and it won't be used.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

millpond

#14 Post by millpond »

OK. To recap:
OLD *SEAGATE* system 200Mb EXT2 /Boot, typically /dev/sda1 ; 320 Gb Ext4 as LVM on /dev/sda5 (from /dev/sda2) Swap also LVM
NEW *HITACHI* system 1.8TB Primary on /dev/sda2 (/boot merged into main partition) . Separate 10Gb /swap.

Grub updated, fstab set with drive uuids for main and boot partitiobns. root, and swap.
On Hitachi (new) system it now is trying to boot but totally fails after erroring with trying to find 'stretch-vg' LVM group. I deleted the group with the LVM utilities.
And grepping -i -r both /boot and /etc can find no reference it it. Grub.cfg seems happily pointing to the main drive.

There is a reference while booting to a /scripts dir, but cannot seem to find it .

On the older Seagate things are just as grim. I haven been putzing with it, but it too seems unable to find its LVM drive. Right now I just want be be able to access the darn thing, copy it (perhaps with dd) and reformat it entirely.

So it looks like I need to be able to access an LVM drive from another machine, or at least restore its full functionality. On the OLD Seagate system,.
Plus utterly remove LVM bindings and associations on the new Hitachi drive. I have taken LVM out of /init.d there.

millpond

#15 Post by millpond »

p.H wrote:Please explain what is each drive sda, sdb, sdc, sdd.

dev/sda1: UUID="0db01b73-2b29-4381-9245-c7372d1a8e49" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="456b9605-01" Old Seagate Boot Drive
/dev/sda5: UUID="Ge1cEg-kpPA-U2QL-zct2-DCn4-UJjy-Mz10jL" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="456b9605-05" Old Seagate Main Drive
/dev/sdc1: UUID="01D3E5B2406CAE00" TYPE="ntfs" PTTYPE="atari" PARTUUID="0002961b-01" 1Tb NTFS drive
/dev/sdb1: UUID="1608BE2508BE0431" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="000acd9a-01 500GB Win7
/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root: UUID="92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33" TYPE="ext4" ???
/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-swap_1: UUID="7e135e6a-3a24-4be9-8a2b-787e9b166b50" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdd1: UUID="78bd93ca-75d9-d601-709d-91ca75d9d601" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-01" (Original 100Gb 'Boot' for New Hitachi - Now NTFS)
/dev/sdd2: UUID="fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-02" (Main partition (now with \boot) for Hitachi)
/dev/sdd3: UUID="703a0cd0-b294-40e7-b545-1b53f9452dc8" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="66ee5d26-03" (Hitachi Swap partition)

Dont really understand what /dev/mapper is about.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:OLD *SEAGATE* system 200Mb EXT2 /Boot, typically /dev/sda1 ; 320 Gb Ext4 as LVM on /dev/sda5 (from /dev/sda2) Swap also LVM
NEW *HITACHI* system 1.8TB Primary on /dev/sda2 (/boot merged into main partition) . Separate 10Gb /swap.
Both drives cannot be /dev/sda. Which one was "Old Seagate" and which one was "New Hitachi" in your previous post ?
millpond wrote:Grub updated
How exactly ?
millpond wrote:On Hitachi (new) system it now is trying to boot but totally fails after erroring with trying to find 'stretch-vg' LVM group.
What do you mean by "totally fails" and what are the exact and complete error messages ?
Did you check /boot/grub/grub.cfg ?
Did you rebuild the initramfs ?
millpond wrote:I deleted the group with the LVM utilities.
What did you do exactly ?
millpond wrote:On the older Seagate things are just as grim. I haven been putzing with it, but it too seems unable to find its LVM drive.
I don't understand "putzing".
Didn't you delete LVM from "Old Seagate" by mistake ?

millpond

#17 Post by millpond »

OK. Les concentrate on the 'new' Hitachi system, where the /boot and /root of the old Seagate system were merged into /dev/sda2.
I idd set up a 'Boot' partition as a 100GB /sda1, but as that did not help, I formatted it to NTFS, and am now squarely working with /dev/sda2.

I cannpt do anythiong with it. It insists on looking for a stretch-vg at bootup, and will hang after it gives up. It will not even permit me to try to boot with grub, as it will insist on the darn stretch-vg there too.

With a LivedDVD I might be able to fix the problem with an update-intramfs : But I cannot chroot into the machine. It absolutely insists on a 'bash not found' error. Even if I mount /usr prior to chrooting . Bash is there. Its a complete filesystem.
I can try update-intramfs from the DVD boot, but it does not seem to do anything.

I used the LVM 'remove group' command to take out the 'stretch-vg' group.

To recap: I cannot boot from grub, nor does chroot work from a boot DVD (either Debian or LMDE).
I am looking for a means to access a massive filesystem, based on Debian 10.

As for the other older Seagate system, still trying to find a way to access an 'orphaned' LVM drive!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:It insists on looking for a stretch-vg at bootup
Please elaborate. What happens exactly ?
millpond wrote:and will hang after it gives up
Please elaborate. What happens exactly ?
Full hang ? initramfs shell ? Emergency shell ?

Showing is better than telling.

millpond

#19 Post by millpond »

I cant get to it now, and cant get a screenshot, but will post more complete error messages later.
Basically, it is looking for the stretch-vg device (drive) multiple times and giving up afterwards.
fstab and grub.cfg have the correct drive UUID listed. Not the LVM drive.
In the error message before it gives up there is a reference to a /scripts/something file, as well as a missing module in /dev/md*? - the globs are in the error message.

From what i can piece together Stretch DVD installed the system as LVM - and I want to remove the LVM components with the system on a new drive with single boot/system arrangement. It is a 2TB drive with 100GB sda1 as NTFS, and rest as EXT4 (/dev/sda2) and a 10GB swap(dev/sda3) . This is an MBR system, if that matters.

Normally it freezes adter giving up looking for the volume group. Though on occasion such as a disk check it will continue, but dump to to an initramfs prompt, where I am clueless how to proceed. And lsmod shows me nothing obvious to rmmod.

I am including the grub.cfg below. Ignore the Xen components. I've been meaning to remove that part.

On the old drive the problem is that the LVM info was accidentally changed in /etc. and even with a /boot backup restored, I cannot access the drive to fix /etc with a backup!

I have not paid much attention to file system 'advances' , always assuming that no one in their right minds would ever create an unfixable file system. Like LVM.

The last resort is to install a 'normal' Buster system (without LVM) or perhaps something like LMDE4, and then clobber it with my backups. Main question would be what directories and /etc stuff to AVOID copying over!
Again, *last resort*.

Code: Select all

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=menu
    set timeout=5
  # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  else
    set timeout=5
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos2'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601
else
fi
insmod png
if background_image /usr/share/desktop-base/futureprototype-theme/grub/grub-4x3.png; then
  set color_normal=white/black
  set color_highlight=black/white
else
  set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
  set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
function gfxmode {
	set gfxpayload="${1}"
}
set linux_gfx_mode=
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
	load_video
	insmod gzio
	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos2'
	else
	fi
	echo	'Loading Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-4-amd64
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos2'
		else
		fi
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos2'
		else
		fi
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos2'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 4.19.0 ...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos2'
		else
		fi
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen hypervisor' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-simple-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos2'
	else
	fi
	echo	'Loading Xen 4.11-amd64 ...'
        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
            xen_rm_opts=
        else
            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
        fi
	multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.gz placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
	module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
	module2	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-4-amd64
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux (with Xen hypervisor)' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
	submenu 'Xen hypervisor, version 4.11-amd64' $menuentry_id_option 'xen-hypervisor-4.11-amd64-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64 and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64 and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.gz placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64 and Linux 4.19.0' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
			module2	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64 and Linux 4.19.0 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.gz placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
		}
	}
	submenu 'Xen hypervisor, version 4.11-amd64.efi' $menuentry_id_option 'xen-hypervisor-4.11-amd64.efi-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.efi and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
			echo	'Loading Xen 4.11-amd64.efi ...'
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.efi placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.efi and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.efi placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.efi and Linux 4.19.0' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.efi placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.efi and Linux 4.19.0 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot2	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.efi placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module2	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
		}
	}
	submenu 'Xen hypervisor, version 4.11-amd64.config' $menuentry_id_option 'xen-hypervisor-4.11-amd64.config-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.config and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
			echo	'Loading Xen 4.11-amd64.config ...'
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.config placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
			module	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
			module	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-4-amd64
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.config and Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.config placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
			module	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-4-amd64
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.config and Linux 4.19.0' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-advanced-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.config placeholder   ${xen_rm_opts}
			module	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
			module	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0
		}
		menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Xen 4.11-amd64.config and Linux 4.19.0 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-4.19.0-recovery-fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601' {
			insmod part_msdos
			insmod ext2
			set root='hd0,msdos2'
			else
			fi
		            xen_rm_opts=
		        else
		        fi
			multiboot	/boot/xen-4.11-amd64.config placeholder  ${xen_rm_opts}
			module	/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0 placeholder root=UUID=fefa2514-76d9-d601-d0fa-251476d9d601 ro single ipv6.disable=1
			module	--nounzip   /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0
		}
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

millpond

#20 Post by millpond »

The actual error message is:
Cannot Process volume group "stretch-vg"
volume group "stretch-vg" not found
cannot process volume group "stretch-vg"
mdadm: mo group arrays found in config file or automatically
Gave up boot args (cat/proc/cmdline)
missing modules /proc/modules ls/dev
/dev/mapper/stretch-vg-root does not exist

At this boot, intramfs came up. (Else it repeats and hangs).

This is the grub for this (original) system which has the actual LVM drive:
(The new system cannot recognize the drive its grub is on, and I simply need a means to stop looing for volume groups! And see its drive. The error messages are very similar )

So:
Aim for:
Old drive system- recognize LVM drive and boot.
New drive system - Disable LVM and recognize the standard drive that /boot is sitting in.

Code: Select all

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
set root='lvmid/s3CRu7-hxTk-OYyg-FEoB-yFfX-3Qq8-SZtemj/ZI9I4C-rGDW-6pFU-VhAb-LUc2-50Gd-TaoHtO'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='lvmid/s3CRu7-hxTk-OYyg-FEoB-yFfX-3Qq8-SZtemj/ZI9I4C-rGDW-6pFU-VhAb-LUc2-50Gd-TaoHtO'  92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=menu
    set timeout=5
  # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  else
    set timeout=5
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
insmod part_msdos
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
set root='lvmid/s3CRu7-hxTk-OYyg-FEoB-yFfX-3Qq8-SZtemj/ZI9I4C-rGDW-6pFU-VhAb-LUc2-50Gd-TaoHtO'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='lvmid/s3CRu7-hxTk-OYyg-FEoB-yFfX-3Qq8-SZtemj/ZI9I4C-rGDW-6pFU-VhAb-LUc2-50Gd-TaoHtO'  92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33
fi
insmod png
if background_image /usr/share/desktop-base/futureprototype-theme/grub/grub-4x3.png; then
  set color_normal=white/black
  set color_highlight=black/white
else
  set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
  set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
function gfxmode {
	set gfxpayload="${1}"
}
set linux_gfx_mode=
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
	load_video
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos1'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  0db01b73-2b29-4381-9245-c7372d1a8e49
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0db01b73-2b29-4381-9245-c7372d1a8e49
	fi
	linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
	initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0-4-amd64
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-advanced-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  0db01b73-2b29-4381-9245-c7372d1a8e49
		else
		fi
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-4-amd64-recovery-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro single ipv6.disable=1
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-1-amd64-advanced-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64 ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-1-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0-1-amd64
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-1-amd64-recovery-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64 ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-1-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro single ipv6.disable=1
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0-1-amd64
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-advanced-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.19.0-recovery-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro single ipv6.disable=1
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.18.0-3-amd64' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.18.0-3-amd64-advanced-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 4.18.0-3-amd64 ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.18.0-3-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro ipv6.disable=1 quiet crashkernel=384M-:128M
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.18.0-3-amd64
	}
	menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.18.0-3-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.18.0-3-amd64-recovery-92afb13b-f740-4b15-98f6-e37f6b066a33' {
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Loading Linux 4.18.0-3-amd64 ...'
		linux	/vmlinuz-4.18.0-3-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/stretch--vg-root ro single ipv6.disable=1
		initrd	/initrd.img-4.18.0-3-amd64
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Windows 7 (on /dev/sdb1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-1608BE2508BE0431' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ntfs
	set root='hd1,msdos1'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1  1608BE2508BE0431
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1608BE2508BE0431
	fi
	parttool ${root} hidden-
	chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change