Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(Solved) Vanilla Debian 10 install on newer tower hardware?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
globetrotterdk

(Solved) Vanilla Debian 10 install on newer tower hardware?

#1 Post by globetrotterdk »

I am trying to install Debian Buster on a tower computer with newer hardware. Unfortunately, I can't even get the USB 2 stick to boot. Here are the basic hardware specifications:

Motherboard: AsusTek Prime Z390-A
Processor: 8-core Intel Core i9-9900KS Kaby Lake
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Is this project at all feasible?
Last edited by globetrotterdk on 2021-01-01 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Vanilla Debian 10 install on newer tower hardware?

#2 Post by arochester »

Have you changed the BIOS or Boot Order, so it will boot from USB first, before the Hard Drive?

What happens? What do you see?

How did you put Debian on the USB stick?

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

globetrotterdk wrote:I can't even get the USB 2 stick to boot.
Why not? What happens when you try?

Please also provide the exact URL from which you downloaded the image and post the exact command(s) you used to transfer the image to the USB stick.
globetrotterdk wrote:Processor: 8-core Intel Core i9-9900KS Kaby Lake
I think that may be too new for Debian buster's two year old kernel. Not sure about that NVIDIA card either, nouveau is the stock driver and it might not work for that card.
deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

From a few reports, Debian will support 9th gen hardware with the 4.19 kernel, and I think the stock 418 proprietary driver supports the 2080, but not nouveau. So probably they just need the non-free repo for wi-fi firmware and the Nvidia driver.
MX Linux packager and developer

globetrotterdk

#5 Post by globetrotterdk »

stevepusser wrote:From a few reports, Debian will support 9th gen hardware with the 4.19 kernel, and I think the stock 418 proprietary driver supports the 2080, but not nouveau. So probably they just need the non-free repo for wi-fi firmware and the Nvidia driver.
Many thanks for the replies from everyone. There is no problem with the install media, as I just installed Debian Buster on an oldish laptop. The USB system exits to a command line before the install process starts. Perhaps it is because my hardware is too modern for the graphic install mode? I will try tomorrow and see if the ncurses install interface starts OK when I boot the install USB...

globetrotterdk

#6 Post by globetrotterdk »

Ncurses install went smooth. After install, system booted into command line prompt. Installed the correct driver and everything worked fine until I installed the latest Liquorix kernel, where I lost the GUI again (KDE Plasma), despite confirming that the correct Nvidia driver is still installed. boot.log contained the following:
[^[[0;1;31mFAILED^[[0m] Failed to start ^[[0;1;39mLoad Kernel Modules^[[0m.
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -b
System:    Host: Artlink Kernel: 4.19.0-13-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME Z390-A v: Rev 1.xx serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: 1502 date: 02/21/2020 
CPU:       8-Core: Intel Core i9-9900KS type: MT MCP speed: 5002 MHz min/max: 800/5000 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 418.152.00 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.152.00 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e 
           Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: N/A 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.09 TiB used: 33.94 GiB (0.8%) 
Info:      Processes: 278 Uptime: 7m Memory: 62.83 GiB used: 2.05 GiB (3.3%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
The plan was to use the Liquorix kernel instead of running a realtime implemented kernel for jack(2), but if the Liquorix kernel problem proves not to be recoverable, my fallback would be how to uninstall the Liquorix kernel and set the Debian kernel as default...

$ sudo dpkg --list | egrep -i --color 'linux-image|linux-headers'
ii  linux-headers-4.19.0-13-amd64                 4.19.160-2                          amd64        Header files for Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64
ii  linux-headers-4.19.0-13-common                4.19.160-2                          all          Common header files for Linux 4.19.0-13
ii  linux-headers-5.10.0-4.2-liquorix-amd64       5.10-4.1~buster                     amd64        Header files for Linux 5.10.0-4.2-liquorix-amd64
ii  linux-headers-amd64                           4.19+105+deb10u8                    amd64        Header files for Linux amd64 configuration (meta-package)
ii  linux-headers-liquorix-amd64                  5.10-4.1~buster                     amd64        Linux headers for liquorix on 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-4.19.0-13-amd64                   4.19.160-2                          amd64        Linux 4.19 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
ii  linux-image-5.10.0-4.2-liquorix-amd64         5.10-4.1~buster                     amd64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-amd64                             4.19+105+deb10u8                    amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
ii  linux-image-liquorix-amd64                    5.10-4.1~buster                     amd64        Linux image for liquorix on 64-bit PCs
----

I sorted out the problem with the Liquorix kernel by running the following:

sudo apt remove --purge linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
However, it is worth noting that running update-grub did not create the correct Grub menu entries. I had to download Grub Customizer and manually edit the menu, to get rid of the Liquorix kernel entries. I guess this thread can be considered solved.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't think the NVIDIA modules will build under the Liquorix kernel yet. You will have to wait for NVIDIA to pull their finger out of their arse. Good luck with that.
globetrotterdk wrote:I sorted out the problem with the Liquorix kernel by running the following:

sudo apt remove --purge linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
However, it is worth noting that running update-grub did not create the correct Grub menu entries.
I don't think that command will actually remove the kernel images — you have only removed the kernel & header metapackages.

Check:

aptitude search '?narrow(?installed, linux-image)'
If they're still there then autoremove them:

# apt autoremove
Or just use aptitude, that will auto-autoremove.
globetrotterdk wrote:I had to download Grub Customizer and manually edit the menu
Don't bother with that POS. If the Liquorix kernels are still present then new menuentries will be generated for them the next time the kernel is updated.
deadbang

globetrotterdk

#8 Post by globetrotterdk »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't think the NVIDIA modules will build under the Liquorix kernel yet. You will have to wait for NVIDIA to pull their finger out of their arse. Good luck with that.

Check:

aptitude search '?narrow(?installed, linux-image)'
If they're still there then autoremove them:

# apt autoremove
Or just use aptitude, that will auto-autoremove.
Thanks for that. I am pretty sure that I also ran an

# apt autoremove
. At any rate, I opened Muon and visually inspected to see if linux-image-liquorix-amd64, and linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 had been removed, before I edited the Grub menu, and they were no longer installed.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: (Solved) Vanilla Debian 10 install on newer tower hardwa

#9 Post by sunrat »

I'm using Liquorix 5.8.xx kernel with 450.xx nvidia driver from backports and it's fine. I've heard 5.9 will work with the 450.xx nvidia but without nvidia_uvm module so no CUDA or OpenCL. Liquorix 5.10 likely will have to wait for the next driver. I believe 455.xx is in experimental which I've heard works with 5.9 but haven't heard about 5.10 yet.
Bottom line is if you want to use Liquorix with Nvidia drivers, you will need to run a compatible version which will usually be at least one behind current. Removing the linux-image-liquorix-amd64, and linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 metapackages will ensure your Liquorix kernels don't get automatically updated.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

globetrotterdk

#10 Post by globetrotterdk »

sunrat wrote:I'm using Liquorix 5.8.xx kernel with 450.xx nvidia driver from backports and it's fine. I've heard 5.9 will work with the 450.xx nvidia but without nvidia_uvm module so no CUDA or OpenCL. Liquorix 5.10 likely will have to wait for the next driver. I believe 455.xx is in experimental which I've heard works with 5.9 but haven't heard about 5.10 yet.
Bottom line is if you want to use Liquorix with Nvidia drivers, you will need to run a compatible version which will usually be at least one behind current. Removing the linux-image-liquorix-amd64, and linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 metapackages will ensure your Liquorix kernels don't get automatically updated.
Interesting. nvidia-detect gives me the following:

$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] [10de:1e04] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.
What Nvidia driver would I need from backports to be compatible with the Liquorix kernel?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

globetrotterdk wrote:What Nvidia driver would I need from backports to be compatible with the Liquorix kernel?
You need the nvidia-driver package, there is only one, currently 450.80.02-1~bpo10+1
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... dia-driver
I can vouch that works with Liquorix kernel 5.8, not sure about 5.9, and it probably won't work with 5.10.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

globetrotterdk

#12 Post by globetrotterdk »

sunrat wrote:
globetrotterdk wrote:What Nvidia driver would I need from backports to be compatible with the Liquorix kernel?
You need the nvidia-driver package, there is only one, currently 450.80.02-1~bpo10+1
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... dia-driver
I can vouch that works with Liquorix kernel 5.8, not sure about 5.9, and it probably won't work with 5.10.
Thanks. So, to summarize the process, it would look something like this (please correct me if I am wrong):

First

$ sudo curl 'https://liquorix.net/add-liquorix-repo.sh' | sudo bash
$ aptitude search linux-image
Second (necessary to prevent the default buster nvidia-driver from being installed with the new kernel, which will fail)

$ sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-driver
$ sudo apt remove --purge linux-image-4.19.0-13-amd64 linux-headers-4.19.0-13-amd64
Third

$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.8.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-5.8.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64
Fourth

$ sudo apt install -t buster-backports nvidia-driver
$ uname -r
Sooo. How do you manage the Liquorix kernel and the backports nvidia-driver, to prevent them from upgrading when you upgrade your system?

$ sudo apt remove linux-image-5.8.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-5.8.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64
??? I have never tried this before.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

You don't need to remove nvidia-driver or the 4.19 kernel. Just remove the Liquorix 5.10 kernel first, then install the 5.8.
They won't upgrade automatically if the metapackages are removed.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

globetrotterdk

#14 Post by globetrotterdk »

sunrat wrote:You don't need to remove nvidia-driver or the 4.19 kernel. Just remove the Liquorix 5.10 kernel first, then install the 5.8.
They won't upgrade automatically if the metapackages are removed.
For me, the stock nvidia-driver has to be removed or the Liquorix kicks back error messages during install. However, after installing the backports nvidia-driver, it can be used both for the Liquorix kernel, as well as the older stock kernel for Buster. Interestingly, trying to install a newer Liquorix kernel than 5.7.0-19.1-liquorix-amd64 does not work on my tower computer.

Regarding the meta packages, it looks like the only relevant ones are linux-image-amd64 and linux-headers-amd64. So I just need to run:

$ sudo apt remove linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64
??

and then run a:

$ sudo apt autoremove
?

Any upgrading of the kernel later on would just be a matter of running:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.9.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-5.9.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64
??

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Running an outdated kernel version is unwise, new vulnerabilities are published regularly. You should really just throw that NVIDIA card away and buy an AMD card instead — they contribute to the open source graphics stack directly and so integrate very well indeed.
deadbang

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

The latest revision of nvidia-driver in Sid and testing say they have support for 5.10 kernels, but nobody's backported it to buster-backports yet.

nvidia-graphics-drivers (450.80.02-2) unstable; urgency=medium

* libcuda1: Add Provides: libcuda-11.1-1{,-i386}.
  * Use a version=4 watch file.
  * Bump Standards-Version to 4.5.1. No changes needed.
  * Backport drm_prime_pages_to_sg_has_drm_device_arg and get_dma_ops changes
    from 455.45.01 to fix kernel module build for Linux 5.10.
MX Linux packager and developer

globetrotterdk

#17 Post by globetrotterdk »

stevepusser wrote:The latest revision of nvidia-driver in Sid and testing say they have support for 5.10 kernels, but nobody's backported it to buster-backports yet.

nvidia-graphics-drivers (450.80.02-2) unstable; urgency=medium

* libcuda1: Add Provides: libcuda-11.1-1{,-i386}.
  * Use a version=4 watch file.
  * Bump Standards-Version to 4.5.1. No changes needed.
  * Backport drm_prime_pages_to_sg_has_drm_device_arg and get_dma_ops changes
    from 455.45.01 to fix kernel module build for Linux 5.10.
Thanks for the information.