Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian 10 installer not detecting SSD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
debolot

debian 10 installer not detecting SSD

#1 Post by debolot »

Long time Debian user, first time asking here.
I'm trying to install Debian 10 from USB on my new laptop. The laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
The installer does not recognize the internal hard drive (SSD).
I tested a number of things I found on all kind of forums (sorry I can't reference, I couldn't track them all). Installing from the Debian live version, preparing the USB installation media with UNetbootin and Rufus. With and without secure mode booting doesn't help either.
Just in case it helps for you to evaluate,
  • I am able to install Debian 10 from the installation media to an external USB stick.
    I am also able to install Fedora 33 to the internal hard drive.
    I am not able to re-install the original W10 (because of the same reason, the W10 does not recognize the internal SSD), but this is at the moment of no concern here.
I would really appreciate any help or suggestions to install Debian 10 on the internal SSD hard drive.
Best regards

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: debian 10 installer not detecting SSD

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Make sure the drive doesn't have "RAID" mode enabled in your firmware ("BIOS") options, it should be set to "AHCI" mode instead. You may have to change Windows' configuration to allow it to keep working after this change, ask the interweb how.
debolot wrote:preparing the USB installation media with UNetbootin and Rufus
Don't use unetbootin for Debian ISO images: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=775689

I think Rufus requires that the "DD" [sic] mode be enabled but I'm not really sure.

See also https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#write-usb

Secure Boot should be supported by the Debian buster ISO images.
deadbang

debolot

#3 Post by debolot »

Thank you for your answer.
I prepared the USB installation media following your link but it still does not recognize the internal drive. It only sees the installation media and any other USB.
My BIOS does not have an option to set to AHCI.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you disabled "fast restart" [sic] in Windows?

If so then try https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ng_my_ssd/ ← that was the top result when I entered your thread title into a search engine.

Search engines are always quicker than waiting for a reply on forums and they ensure that you don't waste other people's time.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

What kind of SSD it it ? SATA, NVMe, eMMC ?
If NVMe, what does lspci report ?
debolot wrote:I am also able to install Fedora 33 to the internal hard drive.
Do you mean to the SSD ? This is interesting. What kernel version does it have ? Does it see the SSD as /dev/sd*, /dev/nvme* or /dev/mmcblk* ?

debolot

#6 Post by debolot »

Hi Head_on_a_Stick, thank you again for taking your time.
I did my research before I posted here and tried a number of procedures. I've been trying to deal with this issue for a month now.
As mentioned in my OP the list is long and didn't track them all. I tried the link you suggested without success and I tested it again today, just in case I missed anything, with the same result.

debolot

#7 Post by debolot »

Hi p.H, thank you for your time.
p.H wrote:What kind of SSD it it ? SATA, NVMe, eMMC ?
If NVMe, what does lspci report ?
NVMe. The disk is this https://www.micron.com/products/ssd/bus ... fd-1ax1aab.

debolot wrote:I am also able to install Fedora 33 to the internal hard drive.
Sorry, my mistake here. I didn't actually install it, I meant the installation media does recognize the internal disk
p.H wrote:Do you mean to the SSD ? This is interesting. What kernel version does it have ? Does it see the SSD as /dev/sd*, /dev/nvme* or /dev/mmcblk* ?
Yes, I meant the SSD.
The kernel version is 5.8.15-301.
The live installer sees the SSD as /dev/nvme0n1p1

debolot

#8 Post by debolot »

p.H wrote: If NVMe, what does lspci report ?
Sorry p.H, I forgot about that.
I posted a screenshot of lspci done on the Fedora 33 live installer here https://imgur.com/a/lJWRbCG

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debolot wrote:I did my research before I posted here and tried a number of procedures. I've been trying to deal with this issue for a month now.
As mentioned in my OP the list is long and didn't track them all.
Well you should post as many as you can remember because otherwise this thread will just be a long list of people suggesting that you try various things only to be told that you already have. Do you not see how that could be irritating for potential helpers and also a waste of forum resources?
debolot wrote:I tried the link you suggested without success and I tested it again today, just in case I missed anything, with the same result.
And again, you need to state *exactly* what you tried, preferably by posting the exact command(s) so that we can spot any mistakes. There was more than one potential solution listed in that thread so I will now have to waste more time checking specifically if you disabled "fast restart" [sic] in Windows (and if so how, exactly) and also if you tried the suggested kernel command line parameter (and if so how did you apply it and how did you check if it was applied). I am now officially irritated btw.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

debolot wrote:The kernel version is 5.8.15-301.
Much more recent than Debian stable's 4.19 kernel. Did you try Debian testing ?
debolot wrote:I posted a screenshot of lspci done on the Fedora 33 live installer here https://imgur.com/a/lJWRbCG
1) **** that damn site, firefox cannot display your screenshot.
2) Posting pictures for plain text is a total waste. Please post the plain text directly here.
3) I want the output of "lspci -k" on Debian.
4) Post the output of "dmesg | grep -i nvme" on Debian.

debolot

#11 Post by debolot »

p.H wrote:Much more recent than Debian stable's 4.19 kernel. Did you try Debian testing ?
Hi p.H, thanks for you suggestion. I didn't try with Debian testing. I have now, and the installer managed to detect the internal SSD.
Thank you for your time and sorry if I caused trouble.