Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bullseye: CONFIG_IP_PNP not set

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ksu

Bullseye: CONFIG_IP_PNP not set

#1 Post by ksu »

Hi,
after a few hours trying to PXE boot finally found out that:

$ grep CONFIG_IP_PNP config-5.10.0-3-amd64
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set

this disables the network/IP autoconfig feature during boot
it applies also to at least the earlier -2 kernel as well I believe

BTW, Clonezilla does not seem to be able IP autoconfig either in order to NFS boot - version 2.7.1-22 runs on Debian 5.10.0-2
but without /proc/config.gz nor the config file available I can't quickly confirm,

thanks!

edit: for now ended up compiling 5.10.13 with CONFIG_IP_PNP support
"They did not know it was impossible so they did it” - Mark Twain

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Bullseye: CONFIG_IP_PNP not set

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I find it highly unlikely that a custom kernel is required for PXE booting. Have you seen https://www.adrian.idv.hk/2020-11-24-pxeboot/?

Disclaimer: I've never tried PXE booting.
deadbang

ksu

Re: Bullseye: CONFIG_IP_PNP not set

#3 Post by ksu »

Hi, and thanks,
It is not just pxe booting - it is pxe + nfs mount while still in initial ram fs stage. The latest Debian testing kernels do not seem to acquire IP via IP=dhcp in the kernel cmdline which allows to setup the networking piece before attempting to mount the nfs.
At this moment I am not 100% certain that the lack of CONFIG_IP_PNP is the main reason, but this is all I was able to find out.
Due to the lack of time last night, and workload today I was not able to test the newly compiled kernel other than booting it traditionally - I will attempt to test the pxe/nfs this evening - results will be shared.
thank you

edit: it is not CONFIG_IP_PNP related - the custom 5.10.13 kernel has it enabled but the result is the same -
"highly unlikely" till I saw it not working, now I know it is not the right direction I am going... but still a good exercise :)
"They did not know it was impossible so they did it” - Mark Twain