Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

Postby Macmittens » 2021-02-09 23:23

Hi,

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my Debian install reverting my filesystem to read only. I assumed this was a hardware problem and I’ve replaced both the RAM and the SSD figuring one of those was responsible, but the issue has stayed around. The machine is a headless NUC running Debian Buster.

Whenever I have the issue the machine keeps running, just switches to read-only, and then I end up having to reboot and go through initramfs to get fsck to fix deleted inode referencing. I can’t work out if there’s a way to chase down the actual source of this problem given the hardware has been replaced.

The box itself runs openHAB, pi-hole, Plex, and the assoaciated web servers to keep all of this alive- the way I generally find the problem is that pi-hole stops working.

Filesystem is Ext4, and drive is an NVMe SSD

I’ve tried looking through dmesg and the kernel logs, but I really can’t work out what I’m looking for!

Would really appreciate any help!
Macmittens

Re: Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-10 10:47

When you replaced the disk did you create a fresh filesystem and reinstall or did you just copy (or clone) the old disk? You may have copied over the corruption from the old disk.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Macmittens » 2021-02-10 11:29

I cloned the old drive - the other thing I realised this morning is that both of the drives were the same; I went from a Crucial MX500 2.5" to an M.2 Crucial MX500 - so I'm not sure if the drive itself is the source of the problem?

I keep repairing the files and the problems keep cropping up; I'm assuming this is either indicative with drive deterioration (which shouldn't be the case with two drives), a RAM problem (which shouldn't be the case having swapped out the RAM), or possibly something in software?
Macmittens

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-10 12:12

Perhaps you also cloned the corruption so try creating a fresh filesystem.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions