Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to mount disk at same point after wiping it?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
OneArmedGlory

Unable to mount disk at same point after wiping it?

#1 Post by OneArmedGlory »

Hi all,

So, kind of what the title says. I had a disk mounted as /mnt/Europa (because I like space stuff) which would never show up in Windows 10 normally, even though the disk mounted at /mnt/Tethys in linux would show up just fine. So, in Windows, I wiped it, set it as gpt disk to get all the space, and even named it Europa just to make everything the same.

Then, I reboot back into Debian, and set it to mount at /mnt/Europa just like before. However, after setting it to mount at /mnt/Europa in gnome-disks, it REFUSES to mount. I can mount it as /mnt/cookie, /mnt/butt/, /mnt/whatever just fine no problem. But for some reason, /mnt/Europa is now a no-go for it.

Any ideas? Thank you!

OneArmedGlory

Re: Unable to mount disk at same point after wiping it?

#3 Post by OneArmedGlory »

I thank you for the effort, however the post you linked to was submitted by me. I'm asking both on here and there.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

It's impossible to say from the minimal info you gave. Post the exact command you tried to mount it and the exact error messages.
Did you create a filesystem after wiping it? What type? Does it show up in lsblk? What are the permissions of the /mnt/Europa directory? Are they different from /mnt/cookie, /mnt/butt/, /mnt/whatever?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

OneArmedGlory

#5 Post by OneArmedGlory »

sunrat wrote:It's impossible to say from the minimal info you gave. Post the exact command you tried to mount it and the exact error messages.
Did you create a filesystem after wiping it? What type? Does it show up in lsblk? What are the permissions of the /mnt/Europa directory? Are they different from /mnt/cookie, /mnt/butt/, /mnt/whatever?

Firstly, thank you for your time and reply.

Did you create a filesystem after wiping it?: Yes
What type?: NTFS
Does it show up in lsblk?: Yes and no. It shows up simply as sdc1 with no mount point.
What are the permissions of the /mnt/Europa directory? I have full access to /mnt/Europa
Are they different from /mnt/cookie, /mnt/butt/, /mnt/whatever? No, no difference. However, just to be clear, those were used just to desk this disk. The disk would mount when I would use (through gnome-disks) those mounting points.

I tried 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' and got this error: ntfs-3g-mount: failed to access mountpoint /mnt/Europa: No such file or directory

So ok, I do 'sudo mkdir /mnt/Europa' and gives no errors, and then 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' which gives no errors. However when I click the button to mount the disk at /mnt/Europa, nothing happens.

I hope these images can be of some help: https://imgur.com/a/Vq2BmvL

Thank you again!

EDIT: Now 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' gives the error: Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

Ok, so I use 'fuser /mnt/Europa/' with no errors.

OneArmedGlory

#6 Post by OneArmedGlory »

OneArmedGlory wrote:
sunrat wrote:It's impossible to say from the minimal info you gave. Post the exact command you tried to mount it and the exact error messages.

Firstly, thank you for your time and reply.

Did you create a filesystem after wiping it?: Yes
What type?: NTFS
Does it show up in lsblk?: Yes and no. It shows up simply as sdc1 with no mount point.
What are the permissions of the /mnt/Europa directory? I have full access to /mnt/Europa
Are they different from /mnt/cookie, /mnt/butt/, /mnt/whatever? No, no difference. However, just to be clear, those were used just to desk this disk. The disk would mount when I would use (through gnome-disks) those mounting points.

I tried 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' and got this error: ntfs-3g-mount: failed to access mountpoint /mnt/Europa: No such file or directory

So ok, I do 'sudo mkdir /mnt/Europa' and gives no errors, and then 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' which gives no errors. However when I click the button to mount the disk at /mnt/Europa, nothing happens.

I hope these images can be of some help: https://imgur.com/a/Vq2BmvL

Thank you again!

EDIT: Now 'sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa' gives the error: Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

Ok, so I use 'fuser /mnt/Europa/' with no errors.

ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED

Ok, so for some reason, I had to do this multpl times on my terminal before it worked, but it DID give me the final result I wanted (mounting my 8TB drive on /mnt/Europa)
1) sudo rmdir /mnt/Europa
2) sudo mkdir /mnt/Europa
3) sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/Europa
4) Done.

Why this process didn't work the first dozen or so times I tried it, I'll never know. But at least it's fixed! Finally! :)