Looking for a fast PCIe or USB network adapter

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Looking for a fast PCIe or USB network adapter

Postby korilius » 2021-04-06 15:05

I need a chipset that works right out of the box. Following conditions / notes:

* Package for chipset must exist in Debian's repos. I don't care if it's non-free at this point. Github drivers just don't work. (See Archer 4U comment below)
* Wireless of course
* Faster than 150mbps

Rambling time: Archer 4U doesn't work on Buster (if it does, enlighten me without using backports). I prefer Atheros, but don't care if it's Realtek or whatever. it's stable and works faster than 150 mbps.

Open to any suggestions and thanks in advance.
korilius

Re: Looking for a fast PCIe or USB network adapter

Postby stevepusser » 2021-04-07 16:47

Would you be open to an Intel PCIe adapter? As far as I know, you really can't do better than those in terms of quality and Debian compatibilty, and Intel works quickly to get their new hardware supported in the kernel. They'll all need non-free firmware; no getting around that.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby ticojohn » 2021-04-07 17:43

I bought a TP-Link model TL-WN725N for use with Buster. I don't remember if I had to install any packages, but I don't think so. Having said that, I already had the firmware-misc-nonfree and firmware-realtek packages installed. I don't know if TP-LINK uses the Realtek chips, but if so then those packages might be required. Someone with more expertise may be able to enlighten you on the drivers.

UPDATE: I just checked the hardware using lshw and it looks like the adapter does use the Realtek driver. So you might want to install those packages. And it is rated at 150Mbs.
Code: Select all
 *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 2
       bus info: usb@2:8
       logical name: wlx503eaad3bd78
       serial: 50:3e:aa:d3:bd:78
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8188eu multicast=yes wireless=unassociated
root@deb

A word of caution: I had previously tried other TP-LINK wireless adapters and they did not work.
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Postby korilius » 2021-04-08 23:45

@ticojohn I'm using a TL-WN722N right now and it's not fast enough for me.
@stevepusser I'd be open to an Intel PCIe adapter. Do you have something in mind meets what I posted above?

Thanks,
korilius

Postby ticojohn » 2021-04-09 13:49

korilius wrote:@ticojohn I'm using a TL-WN722N right now and it's not fast enough for me.
Thanks,

OOPS! Sorry. I misread your original post and thought you needed 150Mbs. My bad.
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Postby stevepusser » 2021-04-09 20:34

Something like the 8265 here? https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/20E0 ... f_=ast_bln

The AX ones on that page would need a newer kernel and firmware package from buster-backports--the 8265 should be fine with the stock Buster 4.19 kernel plus firmware.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Return to Hardware