Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

World of Warcraft using CVSCedega and Debian Sid.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Predius

World of Warcraft using CVSCedega and Debian Sid.

#1 Post by Predius »

Installing and using WoW on Debian Unstable.

Okay, first of all, we need to get Cedega. As this is a completely free guide, other than the costs of WoW and subscriptions, we will use CVSCedega.

First of all, we need to get some packages and install them, just run, as root, the following:

Code: Select all

apt-get install cvs build-essential bison flex-old libasound2-dev x-window-system-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6-dev libxrender-dev libttf2 libttf-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev msttcorefonts libfontconfig1-dev

You can download the script from here Place it somewhere on you home directory, but don't run it yet.

As sid uses gcc-4.0 as default, we need to remove the symlink at /usr/bin/gcc and then make a new one pointing at gcc-3.3. To do this we just do the following, as root:

# rm /usr/bin/gcc 
Then, we enter this:

# ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 /usr/bin/gcc
Now, we can run the CVS script to install cedega. Just follow the instructions on the script, they're easy to get.

Now, we have to install WoW on our machine. As there is a problem with unmounting, I recommend that you copy all the files called Installer Tome.mpq into a folder, then copy the files on the first CD, and then:

$ wine /path/to/Installer.exe 
After waiting some time for the install to finish, we can go to <i>~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/</i> and you'll be able to find the WoW.exe there. You just need to run it as such:

$ cvscedega WoW.exe -- -opengl

This will only work if you have bought the game recently, and it came fully patched. Now, we need to patch it, so that we are able to actually run the game.

You will need two dlls to be able to patch the game. Download the following two:

msvcp60.dll
mfc42.dll
Then, put them in the ~/.wine/fake_windows/windows/system directory.

Proceed to get the Windows version of Mozilla from mozilla.org. Install it with Wine, then download the ActiveX control from <a href="http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/Mozill ... e">here</a>. Install this again with Wine. Then, just run the patch you downloaded, and it should install perfectly.

Since the 1.3.0 patch, WoW opengl support on Linux was shattered. You need to download the following file:

http://downloads.transgaming.com/misc_downloads/cedega_4.3/libopengl32.so
Then, put it into <i>/usr/lib/cvscedega/lib</i>. After that, you move into your WoW directory, and edit the WTF/Config.wtf file. At the top of this file, you add:

SET gxApi "opengl"
Then you just need to run WoW using cvscedega, as such:

$ cvscedega WoW.exe
I hope this was of use to you, you can email me if you run into any problems, I'll gladly answer to the extent of my knowledge.

Frazer

#2 Post by Frazer »

How do the gfx compare running wow like this, will it run just as smoth as in windows? Im going to install debian tonight and the only reason i wont just swich over is for games.

Genyns

hi

#3 Post by Genyns »

mmmm I wanted to now, where is a correct repository to set in sources.list cuz i cant run the first code because this msg.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
bison is already the newest version.
E: Couldn't find package x-window-system-dev
So, please help me. Im pretty noob in this stuff. :oops:

chrismortimore

Re: World of Warcraft using CVSCedega and Debian Sid.

#4 Post by chrismortimore »

Predius wrote:As sid uses gcc-4.0 as default, we need to remove the symlink at /usr/bin/gcc and then make a new one pointing at gcc-3.3. To do this we just do the following, as root:

# rm /usr/bin/gcc 
Then, we enter this:

# ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 /usr/bin/gcc
For the love of God, do not do that.
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

Genyns

>,<

#5 Post by Genyns »

what should i do chris? i just want to play wow in Debian :oops:

chrismortimore

#6 Post by chrismortimore »

Given that the link he posted didn't work for me, I'd say find a better guide. I don't have WoW, so have no experience in getting it working with Cedega.

However, this page might help you get it working with Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=6482
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

Genyns

x.x

#7 Post by Genyns »

oh no! that guide is out of date! :(

rickh

#8 Post by rickh »

I don't know anything about it either, but I'd say, pay cedega their $15, and don't mess around with the cvs ... http://builder.com.com/5100-6372_14-6063292.html
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Jackiebrown

Re: >,<

#9 Post by Jackiebrown »

Genyns wrote:what should i do chris? i just want to play wow in Debian :oops:
better would be

update-alternatives --config gcc
This will also show is you have gcc 3.3 installed (for example - I don't)

thamarok

#10 Post by thamarok »

World of Warcraft works fine under Wine.. Don't know why you should need CVS Cedega for it :?:

Genyns

omg

#11 Post by Genyns »

I have 12 hours without do anything than try run wow on debian, and when i get isntall the stupid cedega cvs, and try to run it for the first time this error appears:

Making fake C drive...

Edit the /root/.cvscedega/config file to fit your system

Installing registry...
Done

cvscedega Features:
Reinsert default registry: cvscedega --reregister
Install .reg with regapi: cvscedega regapi <regfilename.reg>
Install .reg with regedit: cvscedega regedit [regfilename.reg]
Install a .dll with regedit: cvscedega regsvr32 [filename.dll]
Start winecfg: cvscedega winecfg
Log to file: cvscedega log <normal params>
eg: cvscedega log -debugmsg=+ddraw,+err -- hl.exe -console

Cedega CVS

Usage: /usr/lib/cvscedega/bin/wine [options] [--] program_name [arguments]
The -- has to be used if you specify arguments (of the program)

Options:
--debugmsg name Turn debugging-messages on or off
--dll name Enable or disable built-in DLLs
--dosver x.xx DOS version to imitate (e.g. 6.22)
Only valid with --winver win31
--help,-h Show this help message
--managed Allow the window manager to manage created windows
--version,-v Display the Wine version
--winver Version to imitate (win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win20,win30,win31)
--dt Defer trace until Alt+F12
--use-dos-cwd Used to set the DOS current working directory for the process (needs a path)
--cmdline Specifies the application's command line
--monitor-cdrom-eject Activate monitoring of CD-ROM ejection requests
ERROR: wineserver exiting unexpectantly!

Please, Help! I'm about to kill myself... :(

PD. If u know the easy way to run WoW on debian with Wine please tell me how! I just wanna play :cry:

Jackiebrown

#12 Post by Jackiebrown »

Did you try this for wine?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine