Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ubuntu on the top 100 best products of the year list!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sonic6k

Ubuntu on the top 100 best products of the year list!

#1 Post by sonic6k »

Hello!

I took a look on the "Top 100 best products of the year" list of the upcoming PC World Magazine July 2007 (my friend gets these earlier before the public ;))

And guess what I saw on the 16th place? You are right! It's Ubuntu :D
Quote from the magazine:
PC World Magazine wrote:16. Ubuntu 7.04 (operating system; free)

Fast and friendly. Ubuntu has solidified itself as the one Linux distribution that Linux geeks love and newbies can comfortably use. Even Dell turned to the 7.04 version of Ubuntu when it announced its intention to preload some systems with Linux.
If Ubuntu is so good that it even fits in a top 100 best products of the year list with a ranking of 16, I think there are going to be more and more people going to be interested in Linux (crosses fingers). It's however a pity that the Debian project won't benefit much from this, and I hardly can find "Debian" on the Ubuntu website :(

Incase someone wanted to know, the first 10 best products on that list are:

1. Google Apps Premiere Edition
2. Intel Core 2 Duo
3. Nintendo Wii
4. Verizon FIOS
5. RIM Blackberry 8800
6. Parallels Desktop
7. Pioneer Elite 1080p PRO-FHD1
8. Infrant Technologies ReadyNAS NW
9. Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
10. Adobe Premiere Elements 3

I can understand that the Nintendo Wii is a real killer, but why is Mac OS X listed as 9th in that list :roll:

sinical

#2 Post by sinical »

link

but why 2007 hasnt even finished yet and they are doing a best of? Oh, and why there are products in that list that are a few years old. O and crap like SysInternals/Microsoft Process Explorer at 75.. wtf. I cant see how something like the PS3 hasnt made this list considering a crap mainboard vendor (Gigabyte) got 62 with the GA-965P-DQ6.

After reading the list actually lines up more like a whos' who of their sponsored ad links that flank the left of this list.

Maybe I'll coffee before I post. Grats ubuntu :wink:
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

sonic6k

#3 Post by sonic6k »

Cool that you found the article online! I maybe know why the PlayStation 3 isn't on that list: It's very expensive compared to its competitors, It has several features lacking that were present in PS2 (rumble, etc..) and maybe some other things too.

Just look at the prices for PS3! I mean, it should be just a gaming console, not a hyper-multimedia-bluray system. We have PC's for the latter :evil:

jml

#4 Post by jml »

Just to add my two cents worth. While I don't plan to comment on the merits of any magazine's best of...list, from a pragmatic point of view, I am thrilled that any Linux distro made it into the top 20 of a Windows centric magazine! While Ubuntu is not my favorite distro, and I may not agree with all of the decisions the developers and supporters have made, it has succeeded in grabbing a large amount of "mind share" I really think that Ubuntu's efforts are responsible for many people trying Linux for the first time. With Microsoft's move to Vista, and Dell's decision to sell computers with Ubuntu, I think that there is a one time opportunity for Linux to increase its presence among computer users. And that is a good thing as I see it.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

dmn_clown

#5 Post by dmn_clown »

sonic6k wrote:Cool that you found the article online! I maybe know why the PlayStation 3 isn't on that list: It's very expensive compared to its competitors, It has several features lacking that were present in PS2 (rumble, etc..) and maybe some other things too.
That is because Sony lost its lawsuit (the tech for the rumble is patented, Microsoft settled out of court in the same lawsuit, IIRC, and then agreed to license the technology).

As for Ubuntu in the top 20, good for them, should we send Mark Shuttleworth a box of Girl Scout cookies?

sonic6k

#6 Post by sonic6k »

I really don't know much about each console's background, but since there's no Super Mario games for PS3, I don't like it :P
dmn_clown wrote:As for Ubuntu in the top 20, good for them, should we send Mark Shuttleworth a box of Girl Scout cookies?
Why not Boy Scout cookies :lol:

sinical

#7 Post by sinical »

sonic6k wrote:Why not Boy Scout cookies :lol:
Duh boys dont cook. Thats woman work.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

sonic6k

#8 Post by sonic6k »

sinical wrote:Duh boys dont cook. Thats woman work.
I love cooking and baking.. after all, it's open-source :D
You have all the ingredients (*-dev packages) and the cooking instructions (Makefile), and you just need to follow the instructions carefully (Debian/rules) to bake a nice cake (compile) :lol:

llivv

#9 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

CocoAUS

#10 Post by CocoAUS »

I really don't care about mainstream top lists of anything. Especially lists that list the Wii in their top 5. Seriously, this seems all about hype. Ubuntu is truly no easier than Debian to install. Even the graphical installer isn't really any easier than Debian's (and it actually does a worse job handling partitions). Ubuntu is a new buzzword for the kids over at Digg, just like iPhone, Wii, Apple, 300, etc. It's all about the hype, and though I don't have too much against Ubuntu, I really don't think it deserves to be there. At the same time, congratulations on a Debian-based distro getting to the top, even if Debian itself won't ever benefit from Ubuntu's advances.

jml

#11 Post by jml »

CocoAUS, I feel that anything that raises public awareness of Linux can potentially help Debian. Its not infrequent for a new user to start with Ubuntu, probably because of the hype, and the percieved easier access to help. Over time, Ubuntu's limitations will drive that very same user to look for other solutions, and will not infrequently try and stay with Debian.

And I agree with you that with Debian Etch, the installation process is just as easy as the other "newby friendly" distros. And given all of the activity between Microsoft and Novell and noe Xandros i'm very happy to use a distro that is not incumbered by any commercial ties.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

dmn_clown

#12 Post by dmn_clown »

sonic6k wrote:I really don't know much about each console's background, but since there's no Super Mario games for PS3, I don't like it :P
dmn_clown wrote:As for Ubuntu in the top 20, good for them, should we send Mark Shuttleworth a box of Girl Scout cookies?
Why not Boy Scout cookies :lol:
I don't think the boy scouts sell cookies, they are too busy discriminating against GLBT children.
llivv wrote:I wonder if that is what danmd_clown was thinking too?
I'll bet he has enough fan boy cookies.
I have enough enough fan boy cookies, enough so that is going to be my X-mas gifts to everyone this year :lol: