Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

which distro for getting a job ?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
arnuld_aqua

which distro for getting a job ?

#1 Post by arnuld_aqua »

i want to do a job as "OOAD and C++ expert on Linux platform". i know that for C++ distro does not matter but what about getting a job as a developer/programmer on Linux platform ?

In INDIA,(except for Windows), most job ads require "C++ with Linux/UNIX" (i notice, Linux is much higher in requirement). so which distro will be better for getting that type of job ?

AgenT

Re: which distro for getting a job ?

#2 Post by AgenT »

arnuld_aqua wrote:i want to do a job as "OOAD and C++ expert on Linux platform". i know that for C++ distro does not matter but what about getting a job as a developer/programmer on Linux platform ?

In INDIA,(except for Windows), most job ads require "C++ with Linux/UNIX" (i notice, Linux is much higher in requirement). so which distro will be better for getting that type of job ?
It should not matter, but a distribution such as Debian would be a good choice because it uses mostly standard upstream packages. Same for Gentoo, etc. A few distributions (especially the commercial ones, except Red Hat I suppose) use modified software extensively. And for your job requirement, having advanced skills in GNU/Linux will not be required.

jml

#3 Post by jml »

I would suggest learning two distros. I agree that Debian should be one of them because it is widely used for servers. And is a good clean distro without a lot of added fluff.

I would also suggest that you would benefit from learning Fedora/RHEL simply because it has quite a bit of mind share among corporations and IT departments. If I am not mistaken, there are also formal certifications a person can study and apply for in both Linux in general and RHEL in particular. Just my two cents worth.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

sinical

#4 Post by sinical »

where i am unless you work for an isp, and u want linux work its all redhat / novell suse
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Dargor

#5 Post by Dargor »

from what i've heard money linux(red hat, novel suse) do stupid things, like rename libc6, which make compiling stuff crap hard.

swirling_vortex

#6 Post by swirling_vortex »

Mainly if you see Linux, they'll be corporate backed, which are usually Red Hat or Novell. I'd be familiar with RHEL (CentOS) and SuSE because businesses need some tech support to yell at when it (ever) goes down. :)