Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google cuts data retention times

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
michael7

Google cuts data retention times

#1 Post by michael7 »

"The search giant has said it will now keep personally identifiable search data for 18 months rather than the previous period of 18 to 24 months."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6745191.stm

I vote for 18 seconds. Think of all the storage space they would save.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

swirling_vortex

#2 Post by swirling_vortex »

How about 0 seconds? Why would that information be useful to them?

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 19:41, edited 3 times in total.

sinical

#4 Post by sinical »

swirling_vortex wrote:How about 0 seconds? Why would that information be useful to them?
Four words: Better focused google advertising.

= more clicks = more revenue.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

rickh

#5 Post by rickh »

The good thing about the Google search engine is that by keeping track of everything you click on, they can focus in a very unobtrusive way to show you only advertising that it's likely you'll be interested in. That's also, the bad thing about it.

I never click on a paid Google ad. If everyone followed that rule, Google would quickly be forced to run garish flash based advertising like everyone else. That would be better since there are easy ways to block that sort of thing.

Hopefully, personal, intelligent web crawlers will soon be available. I could reserve a 50-60 GB disk for nothing but search engine data, and my intelligent web crawler could spend 24/7 updating it by scouting around for sites with information analogous to my bookmarks and my cached browser history.

Then, goodbye Google for me, but the unwashed masses will never be able to deal with that. The dummies need to have someone spying on them in order to validate their sense of self-importance.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

AgenT

#6 Post by AgenT »

rickh wrote:I never click on a paid Google ad. If everyone followed that rule, Google would quickly be forced to run garish flash based advertising like everyone else. That would be better since there are easy ways to block that sort of thing.
This is easily done, you just need a regular expression. Iceweasel already has a plugin to do this, for example.

AgenT

#7 Post by AgenT »

Google ranked 'worst' on privacy
Rights group Privacy International rated the search giant as "hostile" to privacy in a report ranking web firms by how they handle personal data.
The group said Google was leading a "race to the bottom" among net firms many of whom had policies that did little to substantially protect users.
and....
Google accused of conducting smear campaign against Privacy International:
http://www.privacyinternational.org/art ... 347-553960