Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

5 days of no net

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sinical

5 days of no net

#1 Post by sinical »

is coming up for me as I change providers and get some dsl2+

Guess I got plenty of time now to go see Hostel2 and PotC3.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

hkoster1

#2 Post by hkoster1 »

What, no old 56K modem lying around? Sure, it's slow, but OK for checking email or this forum.

sinical

#3 Post by sinical »

ill never go back to dialup again ... NEVER!

I might just pinch my neighbours wifi
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
umop apisdn

esaym

#4 Post by esaym »

no net is terrible

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#5 Post by mzilikazi »

I just moved to a new house. Comcast wanted to charge me quite alot of $ for installation and such but what are you going to do? I was ready to eat the costs. Comcast was scheduled to install tv/net on the same day we moved. They failed to show.

I cancelled Comcast service.

Called Qwest to inquire into DSL. They have no capacity left in my neighborhood. I requested that they increase the capacity (the customer service rep said they could) and Qwest charged me $30. Yes - $30 for a request not any actual products or services. I called to see why they had charged me. This time the CS rep said - "they can't increase the capacity - you're just on a waiting list so as soon as someone moves or cancels their service you might get DSL then if no one else is ahead of you in line".

I cancelled Qwest. Still waiting for my #30 refund for services not rendered.

I looked into satellite but it's quite expensive and not very much bandwidth.

Called Comcast back and signed up as a new customer. I got the new customer discounts. Comcast was scheduled to come the next week but they forgot to inform the installer! Called Comcast once again and after 1 1/2 hours on the phone we hammerd out an agreeable arrangement (including lots of discounts for my pain and suffering). Comcast was scheduled to install today 6-13-07 in fact. The installer showed this time! But......my daughter in only 17 and you have to have an adult of 18 years or older present. Grrrrr......no net, no tv yet.......

So let's see.......... it's been 2 weeks now and no one has died. In alot of ways I don't miss the internet @ home (I can post from work). There's always some yard work to do or the wife is always happy to get some extra attention. All in all I can't complain and it's actually been a nice break.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

sinical

#6 Post by sinical »

So I am bumming off some neighbours net right now, did a speedtest. 1.1k. Seriously, dialup is better than that. Now i just got to find a dialup modem...
umop apisdn