Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Now it's getting scary...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
AgenT

#21 Post by AgenT »

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today released the fourth and “last call” draft for version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), the world's most widely used free software license. The Foundation will hear comments on the latest draft for 29 days, and expects to officially publish the license on Friday, June 29, 2007.
If you have any concerns or suggestions, now is the time to act!

For those that are concerned about recent issues involving Microsoft and Novell, Xandros, LG and now Linspire should really get involved in the GPLv3 drafting processs. There is a nice and open draft editing page where people can highlight text and give their comment to help the GPLv3 be as strong as possible.

You can help with anything from correcting vague language that a company like Microsoft may try to take advantage of in the future, to help decide how previous Microsoft deals are dealt with.

Right now, the GPLv3 will NOT break the current deals that happen. I would highly recommend anyone who does not agree to this to voice their opinion so that the final version WILL break any pacts such as the Microsoft-Novell/Xandros/Lindows/LG.

Make your voice heard! Make a difference!
[FSF Releases "Last Call" Draft of GPLv3]

DeanLinkous

#22 Post by DeanLinkous »

geezuzzzz then why arent you simply using windows.....

Why the flock do people use linux if all they want is to use windows apps and be under windows control and subject to microsoft whims.

Why is it a few have to flock it up for many....????

For everyone wanting a better windows, apple is over that way....

Give microsoft control, and see where it gets you....my guess is back on windows in about five years.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

dmn_clown

#23 Post by dmn_clown »

jml wrote:Another distro falls to the dark side. Just read in Cnet that Linspire has also inked a deal with Microsoft. What is M$ up to? Still don't know for sure. FUD is still my top choice. But there was one comment in today's Cnet article and I quote:

"... Linspire will join an effort to create translators between Office 2007's XML file formats and the OpenDocument format. "
I don't know, I would like to see evidence for the "infringing" patents that these companies won't get sued for AND have conveniently lent legal credence to by signing these deals. Granted most of the commercial distributions probably can't afford to have ideals, but to cave to Redmond without any public evidence is just spineless and not a good way to ensure consumer confidence in their product.

ABCC

#24 Post by ABCC »

All the talk of patents is straight up FUD. This Linspire deal says nothing about patent crosslicensing, but it makes strong allusions to it. Purchase a patent sku and get a license to ttf fonts, huh? Patents and EULAs are two completely different things, yet in the press release they're pushed together to make it seem as if they are related.

The real trick is to shove a bunch of proprietary MS crap into Linux so that it can mostly function on an active directory network. Probably at a level that is good enough for IT, but not good enough for an average office worker (which should be easier, so go figure). Embrace/Extend has been their gambit all along. Talking about patents is merely FUD, as they mentioned in their Hallowe'en documents years ago.

llivv

#25 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

alleluia20

#26 Post by alleluia20 »

geezuzzzz then why arent you simply using windows.....
Why that? I do not remember myself being unpolite in my posts...
Why the flock do people use linux if all they want is to use windows apps
and be under windows control and subject to microsoft whims.
Beeeep, error! I would not use MS office to write my own documents. But I would use it to open a MS office document.

But I will give you some more reasons to be unpolite: I use skype, Adobe reader, the flash plugin from adobe, some propietary drivers, etc

Will you continue talking to me, then? :oops:

llivv

#27 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

DeanLinkous

#28 Post by DeanLinkous »

I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular but if you feel the shoe fits....

I dont care what anyone uses. I care that the thing that is truly different is being turned into the very same thing we already have.

Someone gets a taste of freedom and the first thing they want to do is give it up to someone and be dictated to. I am honestly starting to think people cant handle it. They honestly do not know how to be in control.

Hey Will! :wink: Trust me - I am not back. Just a drive-by troll post....while browsing for greener pastures.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!