Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dinosaurs and man living side by side

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
CocoAUS

Dinosaurs and man living side by side

#1 Post by CocoAUS »

EDIT: WARNING: Music plays right away, watch your volume level :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1827593433

So if you hate creationists and think they're stupid, leave that aside and address the issue. Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?

davidlb

#2 Post by davidlb »

wow. That is all
“Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.” -
Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Bro.Tiag

Re: Dinosaurs and man living side by side

#3 Post by Bro.Tiag »

CocoAUS wrote:EDIT: WARNING: Music plays right away, watch your volume level :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1827593433

So if you hate creationists and think they're stupid, leave that aside and address the issue. Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?
Hear, Hear!

actionM

#4 Post by actionM »

Evolution skiped that first guy thats talking. He still looks like a monkey.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by Lavene »

I miss some references... Where is it documented? Who are those people they refer to that made such discoveries? Names, locations, maps, photos....
Anyone into creationism here that might know?

Tina

PS: This is a highly volatile topic and (very very off topic). Please let it not evolve into something ugly.
PPS: Yes yes... I know. I'm terrible
;)

CocoAUS

#6 Post by CocoAUS »

Lavene wrote:I miss some references... Where is it documented? Who are those people they refer to that made such discoveries? Names, locations, maps, photos....
The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data. The weird-looking guy is Ken Ham from Answers In Genesis, where much of the evidence/pictures/references can be found. A quick Google-fu session will go a long way in finding stuff to backup their claims (even Wikipedia helps).

Kent Hovind is a guy who gives presentations on this sort of thing, and he cites many sources, has the pictures, scans of documents, etc. I'm hesitant to reference him, however, because he's used some arguments that most of the creationist community doesn't believe should be used, and for a number of reasons, the community has distanced itself from him. Still, incase you want a long video with plenty of historical data, pictures, sources, etc, try http://tinyurl.com/2jsvcm

Telemachus

#7 Post by Telemachus »

CocoAUS wrote:The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data.
Um, nope: it's not data unless you actually back up your "evidence" with detailed references (sources for confirmation, names, dates, maps, etc.). This is just, what's that word I'm looking for....bullshit.

CocoAUS

#8 Post by CocoAUS »

Telemachus wrote:
CocoAUS wrote:The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data.
Um, nope: it's not data unless you actually back up your "evidence" with detailed references (sources for confirmation, names, dates, maps, etc.). This is just, what's that word I'm looking for....bullshit.
First, please don't degrade this thread so quickly.

Second, Google the claims in the video. If you're going to use the energy to post in this thread, you could perhaps use the energy to do a quick search. Unless you're dismissing the arguments out of hand. You say it's BS, yet you have no evidence against this video. Who's BSing who?

Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
The Black Dragon Canyon evidence: http://s8int.com/dinolit3.html Plenty more on that page, including sources and photos.

Telemachus

#9 Post by Telemachus »

CocoAUS wrote:First, please don't degrade this thread so quickly.
Sorry if I ruined your chance to show us all that Genesis has so much to teach us about dinosaurs and evolution. This isn't offtopic - it's out of bounds.
CocoAUS wrote:Second, Google the claims in the video. If you're going to use the energy to post in this thread, you could perhaps use the energy to do a quick search. Unless you're dismissing the arguments out of hand. You say it's BS, yet you have no evidence against this video. Who's BSing who?

Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
The Black Dragon Canyon evidence: http://s8int.com/dinolit3.html Plenty more on that page, including sources and photos.
The problem with Google and Wikipedia on this issue and creationism generally is that there is no peer-editing on the web. If you have a website or a Wiki account, you can post pretty much anything. Call me prejudiced, but I don't trust the evidence about dinosaurs from a site that has a prominent link "What must you do to be saved?" (http://s8int.com/saved1.html)

I will leave your post alone and not troll anymore, but I really think that we should not have open proselytizing on this board.

rickh

#10 Post by rickh »

I tend to be sympathetic to creationism simply because evolution suggests that random chaotic events conspired to create increasingly sophisticated beings. That's ridiculous. In every other scientific discipline it is recognized that random chaotic events will cause the entity being affected to be degenerated, not enhanced.

OTOH, I can't really get any more interested in studying the science of creationism, than I could get in studying the science of evolution.

I'm just happy to see the increasing number of internet video presentations that work flawlessly on the AMD64 with no proprietary codecs. Gnash v. 8.0 has certainly increased that likelihood.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Simpatico

#11 Post by Simpatico »

If creationism is a science then what does it predict, and where is the evidence for those predictions?
Debian GNU/Linux testing
Debian GNU/Linux stable

CocoAUS

#12 Post by CocoAUS »

Telemachus wrote:Call me prejudiced, but I don't trust the evidence about dinosaurs from a site that has a prominent link "What must you do to be saved?" (http://s8int.com/saved1.html)
So first you imply the claims have no basis without ever having done research, then when I post a bit of research for you, you find another reason to dismiss it out of hand--it talks about salvation. This is called an ad hominem. You are trying to negate the evidence by saying, "Well, he's the Christian, so clearly I can't trust him."

CocoAUS

#13 Post by CocoAUS »

Simpatico wrote:If creationism is a science then what does it predict, and where is the evidence for those predictions?
Ignore creationism. Focus on the matter at hand--dinosaurs living at the same time as men.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#14 Post by Lavene »

CocoAUS wrote:Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
There *is* a problem with the 'evidence' on that site. And that is if you search for, say Leon Pericard and Stephane Lewoff (from this page, the modern looking cavemen) the only hit you get is *that* page. And it's like that with so much of it. It's really problematic to get any of the momentous discoveries confirmed. If you try to follow the evidence it almost always disappears in the big conspiracy theory...

Don't get me wrong, I have tried several times to prove science wrong in several areas based on 'alternative' theories but it never works out. For many years I really wanted to believe in something but my damn inquisitive mind blows every fantastic theory out of the water...

Tina

Simpatico

#15 Post by Simpatico »

CocoAUS wrote:Ignore creationism. Focus on the matter at hand--dinosaurs living at the same time as men.
Right. It's a bit difficult to do that when the OP mentions creationists in the first post. In your own view, it's relevant to the discussion.

But I will leave this to you and others to debate. Religion vs. science is a false dichotomy.
Debian GNU/Linux testing
Debian GNU/Linux stable

CocoAUS

#16 Post by CocoAUS »

Lavene wrote:There *is* a problem with the 'evidence' on that site. And that is if you search for, say Leon Pericard and Stephane Lewoff (from this page, the modern looking cavemen) the only hit you get is *that* page. And it's like that with so much of it. It's really problematic to get any of the momentous discoveries confirmed.
I suppose you'd have to actually find the books and journals, then, instead of hoping these things are published on the internet. Don't books carry more weight than webpages? Also note the other video link I posted which includes a crap-ton of sources.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by Lavene »

CocoAUS wrote:I suppose you'd have to actually find the books and journals, then, instead of hoping these things are published on the internet.
Probably... I'll put it on my list :)

garrincha

#18 Post by garrincha »

Without going into detail, I would point out that website references like Wiki is a big NO in academia circle, at least from my experience. Mainly because these references tend not be be peer reviewed.

Other than that I would suggest a good dollop of reading both academic and popular publications by the late Stephen Jay Gould, here's a good on-line reference, an unofficial SJG on-line archive :

Evolution as Fact and Theory (reprinted from Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes, 1994)
by Stephen Jay Gould
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/ ... heory.html
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Harold

#19 Post by Harold »

CocoAUS> Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?

No, it is not.

gmedina

#20 Post by gmedina »

CocoAUS wrote:...rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?
I think evidence is not the right word to use here. Evidence should always mean scientific evidence, i.e. data which can and have been subjected to some form of validation.