Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

suspend and hibernate with gnome-power-manager not working

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
phil

suspend and hibernate with gnome-power-manager not working

#1 Post by phil »

With a default Debian install, suspend and hibernate have never worked for me. After installing uswsusp, I can suspend my laptop with s2ram -f and I can hibernate with s2disk.

How can I tell gnome-power-manager to use s2ram and s2disk instead of whatever it is trying to use? Or, if the former is not possible, how do I get the default Debian suspend and hibernate methods to work?

My hardware is listed below in my signature. I'll be happy to supply more information, but I don't know what to supply.

Thanks.
System: Debian Sid with Gnome on a Compaq Presario V6030US laptop, AMD Turion64 dualcore, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

phil

#2 Post by phil »

Hopefully the following is useful.
If I clicked on the <Suspend> or <Hibernate> buttons in the gnome-power-manager or just closed the lid, the screen would blank, but thats all. Browsing this forum, I discovered a few bits and pieces to the puzzle. By adding

Code: Select all

TryMethod ususpend-ram.conf
and commenting out all other TryMethod lines in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf, I was able to get the <Suspend> button working. (Of course, I also had to uncomment the force option in /etc/hibernate/ususpend-ram.conf because my laptop only suspends with the s2ram -f option.) Unfortunately, pressing <Hibernate> suspends instead of hibernating and closing the lid still only blanks the screen.

It would be nice to have my laptop suspend automatically when I close the lid and hibernate automatically when the battery level is critical.
Last edited by phil on 2007-06-15 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
System: Debian Sid with Gnome on a Compaq Presario V6030US laptop, AMD Turion64 dualcore, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

timblech

#3 Post by timblech »

same problem here ...

i can hibernate with root privileges, but neither as user nor with g-p-m

phil

#4 Post by phil »

timblech, if you find some answers, post them here and I'll do the same. So far I can't find any useful information in /usr/share/doc/ and my initial internet searches have been unfruitful.

timblech

#5 Post by timblech »

i've got it working by adding my user to the powerdev group .... not sure, if it helps for you, though ...

phil

#6 Post by phil »

timblech! Awesome! It finally works properly! I changed back /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf to it's original settings and then I modified the powerdev group.

How did you find out the secret? It seems strange to me, though, that this is not the default setup when Debian installer asks you if you're installing on a laptop. Why isn't this in the FAQ section of the g-p-m website? Are we the only two people on the planet that had this issuse?

Also, did you add your normal user to powerdev or root? When I looked at the powerdev group, my normal user was already a member and I got a little frustrated that what worked for you wasn't going to work for me. Then the thought occured to me that my mormal user couldn't suspend or hibernate anyway. It wasn't until after I added root to powerdev that everything worked.

Thanks a million!

diego1116

#7 Post by diego1116 »

I don't have a laptop, but you could write a howto about all that :)

phil

#8 Post by phil »

It doesn't seem like anyone else has a problem with suspending or at least the same problem I had. Besides, I hardly feel capable of writing a howto. I'm barely familiar with how it works and certainly I don't have comprehensive knowledge of the subject. Anyways, thanks for the confidence.