Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GoboLinux looks like the next-gen Linux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sonic6k

GoboLinux looks like the next-gen Linux

#1 Post by sonic6k »

http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=at_a_glance

I wouldn't have thought that there is a Linux which has well-organized directory structures like Mac OS X. This looks very awesome!

diego1116

#2 Post by diego1116 »

It's a Brazilian distribution 8)

I downloaded their live CD a while ago but didn't have the time to try it.

They created a really interesting and original distro, which is a hard thing to find these days with all the clones we see around.

sonic6k

#3 Post by sonic6k »

It has a different directory structure, it's cool, it's unique, it's Brazilian :D
I downloaded the LiveCD and I am really amazed!

e1even1

#4 Post by e1even1 »

they achieve *nix path compatibility by linking their file system back to a hidden nix-type file system.

they admit this involves performance loss.

maybe they should just forget nix path compatibility and go their own way. their file structure has lots of merit.

sonic6k

#5 Post by sonic6k »

e1even1 wrote:they achieve *nix path compatibility by linking their file system back to a hidden nix-type file system.

they admit this involves performance loss.

maybe they should just forget nix path compatibility and go their own way. their file structure has lots of merit.
Well yeah, but then existing Linux software won't work with GoboLinux unless the software gets rewritten to use the GoboLinux structure instead. So I find it very good that they keep UNIX path compatibility.

chrismortimore

#6 Post by chrismortimore »

I thought it was really cool until I tried it. I think I'm just too stuck in my ways ;)
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: GoboLinux looks like the next-gen Linux

#7 Post by mzilikazi »

sonic6k wrote:http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=at_a_glance

I wouldn't have thought that there is a Linux which has well-organized directory structures like Mac OS X. This looks very awesome!
OK maybe I just didn't read enough to be impressed. Is this anything more impressive than

Code: Select all

ln -s /bin /Programs
What end user even cares about where a binary lives? The vast majority don't even know what a binary is! Hell, most end users don't even know what an operating system is.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

sonic6k

Re: GoboLinux looks like the next-gen Linux

#8 Post by sonic6k »

mzilikazi wrote:

Code: Select all

ln -s /bin /Programs
You didn't read enough. GoboLinux isn't just a normal Linux with lots of symlinks to achieve a different directory structure.

You might find it better to read about GoboLinux @ Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoboLinux

CocoAUS

#9 Post by CocoAUS »

I love how Gobolinux is forward-looking in their decisions. Debian is (obviously, imho) the absolute best distro for doing things the old way. But the idea that you can have multiple versions of programs (defeating dependency problems), keep all your config files in one place (no having to look all over for 3 different .conf files for your favorite program), and that you don't need any special repository or packaging system...it's all fantastic. No more having to install programs over the net--just copy your /Programs folder to a CD and take your installed apps with you, including dependencies.

From my understanding, OS X actually uses sym links as well. This is just a rather obscure fact because, let's face it, the average iUser can just barely use a two-button mouse. It'd be next to impossible for them to navigate a complex system directory.

At any rate, for those of you who have tried it, why are you still (I assume) using Debian? For me, when I tried it months ago, the squashfs wouldn't work with my HT processor, the programs I wanted didn't have recipes, and there wasn't enough documentation for an uber Gobo-noob like myself.

sonic6k

#10 Post by sonic6k »

I'm going to use it for my Quad-Core "Clovertown" Intel Xeon server, seems to be easier and more efficient to use than oldskool Debian.

e1even1

#11 Post by e1even1 »

sonic6k wrote:Well yeah, but then existing Linux software won't work with GoboLinux unless the software gets rewritten to use the GoboLinux structure instead.
their file system is such a good idea that it justifies a conversion environment/tools that will obviate any need for nix links and the performance loss.

currently, from what i see, the gobo 'compile' and 'recipes' dont do that. i think that if you wanted to become rich and famous, ... well, at least famous, you could develop that.

sonic6k

#12 Post by sonic6k »

e1even1 wrote:currently, from what i see, the gobo 'compile' and 'recipes' dont do that. i think that if you wanted to become rich and famous, ... well, at least famous, you could develop that.
I would happily be a volunteer to develope that, but currently I have too much work on my hands. Firstly there is my bug hunting hobby using Debian Experimental, and secondly there is FLG for which I develope programs.