Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Creating and Deleting a User?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Carlosinfl

Creating and Deleting a User?

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I sometimes will create a user account for someone so they can login to my box via FTP for one day and then after I see they have logged in to my ftp, I will remove their account. I was wondering if anyone can tell me after I delete the user account, is anything left maining on my Linux machine? Do I need to remove any special files or anything as I don't want clutter building up from many "temp" user accounts that I create.

Thanks for any assistance.

Demetrius

#2 Post by Demetrius »

If you use deluser to delete the user it will, by default, not delete the files associated with the user. With the switch --remove-home it will delete the user's home directory. With the switch --remove-all-files, deluser will remove all files owned by that user.

See man deluser for more information.

Carlosinfl

#3 Post by Carlosinfl »

I don't understand your response...

If I use deluser whoever it will or will not delete all the directories associated with this user?

Demetrius

#4 Post by Demetrius »

No, by default it leaves files owned by the user behind. You can delete them yourself, or you can use deluser --remove-all-files username to have deluser delete the user's files for you.

Again, it is all explained in the man page. Try man deluser.