Exim4 Configuration Question

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Exim4 Configuration Question

Postby rickh » 2007-06-21 14:42

When I did my original installation, I didn't really pay any attention to Exim4, the MTA. I have just recently discovered that it is critical to some operations I want to use ... like popularity-contest. So I have been working on getting it configured correctly.

My ISP-Email host is comcast.net ... I figured out the way to connect to their "smarthost" for outgoing email and to "hide the local mail name in outgoing mail."

I have a problem with Instruction 2.1.1.10 in the Exim4 documentation.
2.1.1.10. Visible domain name for local users

If you ask Exim to hide the local mail name in outgoing mail, it will next ask you for the domain name that should be visible for your local users. These information is then used to establish the appropriate rewriting rules.

In that box on the configuration interface, I put "comcast.net". Now when I use "mail" to send a message to somebody@net.domain, it goes out fine.

The problem is, the Reply-To address. Exim is parsing it as username@comcast.net instead of emailname@comcast.net I hope that is clear. How do I get it to attach the correct From/Reply-To/Sender/Return-Path address?

/etc/exim4/email-addresses contains, "user: emailname@comcast.net"
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Postby Issyer » 2007-06-21 15:09

You need to edit /etc/exim4/email-addresses like "rickh: rickh@comcast.net".
Issyer

Postby rickh » 2007-06-21 15:17

you need to edit /etc/exim4/email-addresses (it can be also /etc/exim4/@email-addresses) . There should be a template included how to do it correctly.

As nearly as I can tell, that's what I did. That's why the OP says:
/etc/exim4/email-addresses contains, "user: emailname@comcast.net"

Edit: Ah! Now I see the difference. Thanks.
Edit2: lol. The poor sucker whose real email address is "rickh(AT)comcast.net" will get some activity now.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Return to System configuration