Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Puppy Linux Gets a Serious Reaming on DistroWatch

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
rickh

Puppy Linux Gets a Serious Reaming on DistroWatch

#1 Post by rickh »

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 25#feature

DistroWatch takes it's own hits sometimes regarding it's rating systems, etc., but I'd hate to have my distro as the object of such an article as this.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

jml

#2 Post by jml »

I just read that article as well. Wow! not exactly a glowing endorsement is it? I have to agree with one of the points the author makes. The value of a distro is not just the raw code that gets set down to a disc, but the community of users, and developers who support it. It almost makes me want to lurk on the Puppy Linux forums and see what goes on.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

hrsetrdr

#3 Post by hrsetrdr »

Looks like "sour grapes" not particularly related to Puppy, but with the owner of the Puppy Forum.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).

jml

#4 Post by jml »

hrsetrdr, I tend to agree with you. The poster did not seem to have any issues with the current version of Puppy Linux, but rather the way the forum was moderated.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

pcalvert

#5 Post by pcalvert »

I have Puppy in my collection of "live CDs," just in case it might prove to be useful some day. But I would never install it on a hard disk drive and use it like a regular distro since, with Puppy, you are always root.

Phil

Lou

#6 Post by Lou »

Well, the article just shows how some pseudo-moderators manage to drive out productive members of the forum, just out of spite or envy. You know, power trips, we've seen that around different forums.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid