Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Three bugs about /etc/fstab

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
alleluia20

Three bugs about /etc/fstab

#1 Post by alleluia20 »

Hello,

I do not know where to report them, so I post them here. I see three bugs regarding /etc/fstab:

1) For CD/DVD units, the line of fstab created at the installation is something like

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

so the DVDs with the new ISO system cannot be read. Why not set "auto" instead of "udf,iso9660" by default?

2) When you change the hardware, eg, add a new optical unit, fstab does not change. OK, HAL still mounts the CD, but it gives more issues.

3) Why not put "exec" by default? Sometimes you have to install something from the CD, and newbies can go crazy about it...

Thank you

perlhacker14

#2 Post by perlhacker14 »

1) For CD/DVD units, the line of fstab created at the installation is something like

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

so the DVDs with the new ISO system cannot be read. Why not set "auto" instead of "udf,iso9660" by default?
Debian does not usually include newer features, seeking to make sure they are safe and secure before including them.

As to the others, I have no Idea, except Installation from CD can be achieved through adding a repository (ie the CD) in the /etc/apt/sources.list, and finding it in the repository.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

alleluia20

#3 Post by alleluia20 »

Debian does not usually include newer features, seeking to make sure they are safe and secure before including them.
If I delete "udf,iso9660" and set "auto", the new DVDs are read without problems. So the kernel (I think it is the kernel) does provide this feature. I use sid and kernel 2.6.21, and the only thing preventing from reading those DVDs was fstab :-P
As to the others, I have no Idea, except Installation from CD can be achieved through adding a repository (ie the CD) in the /etc/apt/sources.list, and finding it in the repository.
What about other software (eg, matlab that is ¡nstalled from 3 CDs)?

perlhacker14

#4 Post by perlhacker14 »

If the cd is for Linux, and installation is an issue, mount the CD at a different address (as in cdrom2 or whatnot and install from there), or copy the contents to HDD and install from there (works with matlab, at least), if mount -a has no effect.
I remember my professor (uses Debian) going on about this two months ago when he was debating over Debian vs Windows- he told the other guy trying Debian to set fstab obtions for all devices as auto,dev,exec,rw,sync,suid,user and make his life alot easier, so he would stop complaining about matlab not installing - if it works (i no know), do tell me.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

My opinion about the second point:

If the hardware changes, especially if you add a new unit, the operating system should do _nothing_ but handle the new hardware. I mean, if I plug another optical unit, it should be usable promptly, but no, the operating system should not try to figure out where I want to mount it.
I'll do this, I'll change the fstab it it is needed to do so. I don't like systems which are pretending intelligence and mind-reading capability by guessing what I want to do. :-)

BioTube

#6 Post by BioTube »

Why not just have it ask you?

"A new hard/CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/Penguin drive was detected. Would you like to set a mount point?"
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.