Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Macbook Black Core2Duo 2.0 GHz Superdrive Issues

Need help with peripherals or devices?
flux

Macbook Black Core2Duo 2.0 GHz Superdrive Issues

#1 Post by flux »

hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: status error: error=0x40 { LastFailedSense=0x04 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

The above error messages pollute dmesg and the Superdrive is convinced that it has an "Audio CD" inserted when no disc is present. Removing the module 'ide-cd' provides temporary relief, but the problem resumes almost immediately.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is there a quick fix?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

First let me say - I have no idea! When you rmmod ide-cd the drive works? Do you actually need the ide-cd module? If not you could blacklist it so that it's not loaded. Just add ide-cd to

Code: Select all

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

flux

ide-cd and SuperDrive

#3 Post by flux »

I do need ide-cd to the best of my knowledge, at least to have the drive function as an ide device (I'm sure there's some way to get it working through deprecated scsi-cd drivers, but it's by no means ideal).

That aside, when I remove the module the errors stop; when I reinsert the module and immediately load media into the drive it *may* or not function for awhile and then randomly issue the above errors and believe it has a faulty cd drive installed. any futher debugging suggestions?