Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Even Linus thinks Debian is hard to install

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
perlhacker14

#41 Post by perlhacker14 »

I just found out that RMS uses Debian... what a shock!
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Vergil

#42 Post by Vergil »

perlhacker14 wrote:I just found out that RMS uses Debian... what a shock!
I think he now uses gNewSense
http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

perlhacker14

#43 Post by perlhacker14 »

Vergil wrote:
I stand corrected; He used to use Debian on his laptops, then moved to some GNU/LinEx or whatever and now this gNewSense...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Bro.Tiag

#44 Post by Bro.Tiag »

perlhacker14 wrote:
Vergil wrote:
I stand corrected; He used to use Debian on his laptops, then moved to some GNU/LinEx or whatever and now this gNewSense...
I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.

DeanLinkous

#45 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote: I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.
So Teague, if RMS absolutely needed to check his email at a airport or bus station and the only system available was MSwindows - do you think he would use mswindows?
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Bro.Tiag

#46 Post by Bro.Tiag »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.
So Teague, if RMS absolutely needed to check his email at a airport or bus station and the only system available was MSwindows - do you think he would use mswindows?
I do not know, you are the principled man then I, what do you say?

DeanLinkous

#47 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote: I do not know, you are the principled man then I, what do you say?
Since you seem to consider RMS to be lacking in a practical sense when it comes to free software, I thought that would of been a easy question. I am simply asking what YOU think he would do...
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Vergil

#48 Post by Vergil »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:
Vergil wrote: I think he now uses gNewSense
I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.
Well, I don't think Hurd is quite ready for full time use.

Bro.Tiag

#49 Post by Bro.Tiag »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: I do not know, you are the principled man then I, what do you say?
Since you seem to consider RMS to be lacking in a practical sense when it comes to free software, I thought that would of been a easy question. I am simply asking what YOU think he would do...
AH, go on Dean. I never said such regarding RMS. One would just think that since he is the Gnu guru that he would at least be running his own operating system, no? I mean if a novice as my self can be posting a reply to you from my GNU install surly he would be able to check his e-mail on his laptop from a bus stop or airport.

Cheers
Last edited by Bro.Tiag on 2007-07-21 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Bro.Tiag

#50 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Vergil wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.
Well, I don't think Hurd is quite ready for full time use.
I guess that somewhat depends on what one wants to use it for. I can surf the web with it, which is I guess most of what I do with my computer. I also spend quit a bit of time just mucking with my install of it, mostly testing stuff, trying to install stuff & build stuff. I figure once I get e17 built & a decent web-browser built I will see 'bout making some deb packages of it. For not, I do find it fun to work on.

Cheers

llivv

#51 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

DeanLinkous

#52 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote: I guess that somewhat depends on what one wants to use it for.
Hows the sound system?

Bro.Tiag

#53 Post by Bro.Tiag »

DeanLinkous wrote:Hows the sound system?
What sound system?

DeanLinkous

#54 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
DeanLinkous wrote:
AH, go on Dean. I never said such regarding RMS. One would just think that since he is the Gnu guru that he would at least be running his own operating system, no? I mean if a novice as my self can be posting a reply to you from my GNU install surly he would be able to check his e-mail on his laptop from a bus stop or airport.

Cheers
AH, go on Teague. I didnt say that you said, I said you seemed to consider.....

What the hell is a GNU guru anyway?

He also uses emacs but if he was on a system with only vi, why wouldnt he use it?

The man is practical and as such he would not run GNU/Hurd the same as he said he would not run Ututo when he first tried it. It isn't usable, it isn't useful, it isn't complete. It isn't a good system.

The hurd isnt his operating system no more or less than linux is his operating system.

Linux isn't any less free software, in that I have the four freedoms with it. Linux is less-free than it could be because it contains blobs. But I still have the freedom to remove those blobs so it is still free software.

Free software is the long term goal, something people strive for - not something we have to be perfect about this instant - but we have to truly strive for it and put in the effort to reach the goal or else we aren't really trying just making excuses.

Free software was (and in some cases still is) created on non-free systems. So it isn't always about what you are using but why you are using it and how using it furthers the goal.

It isn't about two sides of a battle and one killing off the other, it is about having a choice, both sides being present and people having a real choice to choose. Free software is about making sure that the choice is different - since it wouldnt be much of a choice otherwise. If we turn free software into the same patents/deals/business as non-free then it isn't really any different is it?

DeanLinkous

#55 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
What sound system?
The GNU Hurd sound system? RMS has to be able to listen to stuff....
Sounds is a important part of a computer IMO.

Chapter 6

#56 Post by Chapter 6 »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Somehow I get the impression that Mr. Stallman never has to check his email at any particular time. I get the impression that he is a man that allows nothing to come between him and his principles. He is a man of strong conviction -- world be damned. It's his way or the highway.
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory

perlhacker14

#57 Post by perlhacker14 »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:
What sound system?
It seems that RMS would have more pressing concerns then listening to stuff... maybe updating that hyper political website of his and writing his next speech? Or working on some new software for GNU?

Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?

Bro.Tiag

#58 Post by Bro.Tiag »

DeanLinkous wrote:AH, go on Teague. I didnt say that you said, I said you seemed to consider.....
Man Dean, and I was not even trying to wind you up.
DeanLinkous wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:
What sound system?
The right tool for the right job, I have a very nice Hi-fi Stereo for all the sound I need (as well as my neighbours ).

DeanLinkous

#59 Post by DeanLinkous »

Bro.Tiag wrote: Man Dean, and I was not even trying to wind you up.
Then you suceeded in not winding me up. Just wanted to make sure you didnt say that I said something when I didn't, the same as you....
Bro.Tiag wrote: The right tool for the right job, I have a very nice Hi-fi Stereo for all the sound I need (as well as my neighbours ).
Thats YOU. Certainly you can agree that most people would demand at least some sort of sound system to consider something usable? That is what we was discussing, the HURD as a usable system....

I noticed you didnt comment much on my other post....are you sure you aren't just wanting to wind someone up?
Last edited by DeanLinkous on 2007-07-21 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

DeanLinkous

#60 Post by DeanLinkous »

perlhacker14 wrote: It seems that RMS would have more pressing concerns then listening to stuff... maybe updating that hyper political website of his and writing his next speech? Or working on some new software for GNU?

Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?
I dont think RMS is nearly as one track as you seem to think he is...

Are you aware that he is fond of folk dancing?

I don't think he codes much at all anymore.