Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

For nvidia and 2.6.21 users

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
swirling_vortex

For nvidia and 2.6.21 users

#1 Post by swirling_vortex »

As you may have found out, your nvidia drivers won't compile! This is because PARAVIRTUALIZATION is put into the kernel and the nvidia driver doesn't like that.

So, if you still want 3D acceleration and haven't gone to another distro yet, use this modified nvidia driver:
http://grizach.sc18.info/nvpatch/
http://grizach.servebeer.com/nvpatch/NV ... atched.run
(There are more packages listed on that page)

So far, it hasn't given me any problems and I hope it calms down some stressed out nvidia users. :)

Eck

#2 Post by Eck »

That's what I've been sayin'!

Heh heh, except that actually that reworked script does leave para-virtualization enabled as it really doesn't mess with how Debian sets up the Kernel at all. It only provides a GPL certified makefile for the nvidia.ko module so that it will compile fine instead of being blocked by that GPL only switch that para-virtualization has.

All will be solved with the next 2.6.22 Kernels but that nice reworked installer saves a lot of headaches for now.

You'd think NVidia would have released this themselves as it would save users from needing to search around to figure out why their driver won't install. Debian should have also done the same thing so that ANY version of the Debian NVidia driver could be installed the Debian way. Right now, we can't do it the Debian way.

I know our concentration priorities are not putting non-free proprietary drivers too high on the list of things to do but in this case even the most religious Debian users likely want 3D to work, no?

Anyway, it's great that there is a way at all to get it to work. This should at least be advised about on some of the how to documents, if only temporarily until we get the 2.6.22 Linux kernels.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

jdhore

#3 Post by jdhore »

The new "reworked" 1.0-9639 package doesn't seem to work with my 2.6.21 kernel...I get a weird error about not being to create a few directories/files and the installer completes, but X doesn't want to load the driver. For the record, With 2.6.22 from kernel-archive.buildserver.net (Kernel trunk...i think), the stock 1.0-9639 works perfectly.

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

Eck wrote: This should at least be advised about on some of the how to documents, if only temporarily until we get the 2.6.22 Linux kernels.
=> Debian -- linux-source-2.6.22

jdhore

#5 Post by jdhore »

L_V wrote:
Eck wrote: This should at least be advised about on some of the how to documents, if only temporarily until we get the 2.6.22 Linux kernels.
=> Debian -- linux-source-2.6.22
What's the difference between using that and downloading a .tar.gz of it from kernel.org? I think nothing...I'll wait for a linux-image to hit to make it so i DON'T have to compile a kernel, thanks.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

You are right and I will do the same because I have the same problem with Nvidia.
It was just to inform that 2.6.22 sources are available per now on Debian site, and nothing more !

Like you, I don't intend to play with kernel compilation to just install a graphic driver.

jdhore

#7 Post by jdhore »

L_V wrote:You are right and I will do the same because I have the same problem with Nvidia.
It was just to inform that 2.6.22 sources are available per now on Debian site, and nothing more !

Like you, I don't intend to play with kernel compilation to just install a graphic driver.
Honestly, if i KNEW how to compile a kernel to work with everything i need it to work with, i'd gladly do it...but the last time i had to compile a kernel by hand and use it (in Gentoo) i had no sound, so i had to have genkernel config it for me and i don't believe there's something like Genkernel on Debian...If you need another fix (that's easier), add this line:

Code: Select all

deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main
to your sources.list and install all the 2.6.22 stuff (the kernel-image, kernel-headers, etc) and the nvidia driver will install fine (at least it did for me)...Now...This is almost a "git" kernel so don't put it on a system that you need really good stability on (i've pulled 4 days uptime, but i rebooted myself)

kadet

a comment about a daily bulld of lenny

#8 Post by kadet »

if anyone is using a daily build of lenny and is having this same problem, I followed the steps at http://grizach.sc18.info/nvpatch/ only for editing the Makfile.kbuild and then ran the installer successfully. I was having trouble trying to rebuild kbuild 2.6.20 following the procedure and decided to try it having only edited the Makefile. It may save you some time and grief if you are running into a similar problem.

timrichardson

#9 Post by timrichardson »

The 2.6.22 kernel is now in unstable along with everyone you need to install the nvidia drivers the debian way.

On the Debian wiki there is a link to a script that simply replaces the install script of the Nvidia package. It was as simple as using the Nvidia download.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

this wiki page is quite good and I hope as a community we can always rely on it for nvidia installation.

L_V

#10 Post by L_V »

There is a but: all 2.6.22 nvidia packages are not yet available:

exemple:
nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-2.6.18-4-k7 is available
nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-2.6.22-1-k7 is not yet available.

jdhore

#11 Post by jdhore »

L_V wrote:There is a but: all 2.6.22 nvidia packages are not yet available:

exemple:
nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-2.6.18-4-k7 is available
nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-2.6.22-1-k7 is not yet available.
you could always just install the nvidia package from the nvidia site and be done with it...You don't need (and probably shouldn't use IMO) the one in apt.

L_V

#12 Post by L_V »

I always try the easiest recommended by Debian.
Never really know how to choose among the 4 methods proposed here http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers , especially because I don't want to reproduce a complete mess with Lenny/nividia-legacy and xorg 7.2, which forced me to go back to etch.

I just expect an easy way from 2.6.18 to 2.6.22-k7 without playing with any compilation.
I now verify if everything is available, before switching kernels.
I am not in a hurry at all which helps !
I just keep an eye on it for the moment.

jongi

#13 Post by jongi »

I've tried three different methods to install the nvidia drivers and nothing has worked. I'll just wait for the new kernel and hope that sorts the issue.

If I wasn't too lazy I would just compile my own kernel like I did with 2.6.21-1.

EDIT: Impatience got the better of me and I compiled 2.6.22.1 with rt-9 patch. Then I just ran the normal Nvidia installer off their site and all is well again.