Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie - Mozilla resolves but won't load url, konqueror will

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
b12

Newbie - Mozilla resolves but won't load url, konqueror will

#1 Post by b12 »

Hello,

I am a newbie, about two weeks with Linux and Debian. I installed sarge with a 2.6.8 kernel stable. Am using xf86 and gnome.

I am connected to the internet via an actiontec dsl gateway.

My problem is Mozilla will report it is connecting to a url but will never actually load anything, just times out. Ping works most of the time. Traceroute too. Konqueror has no trouble at all. Sometimes, if I ping www.metacrawler.com first, then Mozilla will actually load it. Apt-get and synaptic work, but often require me to ping the repository first.

We have two windows machines and two Debian machines. Both Debian machines have exactly the same problem. Neither of the windows machines are having a problem.

I have worked on this for 4 days now. I have read a multitude of articles, and man pages. Looked at bug reports, reinstalled Mozilla, upgraded, and downgraded it. Reinstalled the whole system twice. I have fiddled with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts hosts.conf resolv.conf. Tried dhcp and static.

Hoped I would learn to solve this on my own. But I am such a newbie I don't really understand half of what I am reading. I would sure appreciate any assistance anyone would give me.

Thank you!

dreamboat

#2 Post by dreamboat »

This sounds like the same problem which I have just overcome with plenty of assistance... and it seems to be something which the modem is "pushing" onto the machine whether you want it or not.
I found that my resolv.conf would keep getting overwritten with a nameserver which was no good for me (IP of the Modem itself). Try changing you resolv.conf nameserver value, and see if this fixes your problem. I found this worked for a while, but would get overwritten again after a timeout or reboot or whatever, so further measures were required to fix it, but it was achieveable!

dreamboat