Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Aptitude vs Apt-Get

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
rickh

Aptitude vs Apt-Get

#1 Post by rickh »

http://www.pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/

We're winning the battle, one user at a time.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Bulkley

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Aptitude is just a front-end for Apt-get, is it not? Every time I experiment with Aptitude, I give it up as too much trouble. When I want a GUI, I use Synaptic. Otherwise, I use apt-get line instructions.

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

No thanks, I will stick with APT.

aptitude doesn't even come preinstalled on sidux.

The one and only time I try to use aptitude to do a dist-upgrade it wanted to remove most of kde, apt was smart enough to autohold the packages rather than trying to remove half of my system.

Right after my d-u that day I took the advice of the Kanotix/sidux devs and did apt-get remove --purge aptitude.

3 yrs on the same install with no problems since. :)
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

rickh

#4 Post by rickh »

When I want a GUI, I use Synaptic. Otherwise, I use apt-get line instructions.
I have barely seen the ncurses interface of aptitude, and I certainly don't recommend it. My position is that Aptitude is best used from the command line, where all package management belongs.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

hellfire[bg]

#5 Post by hellfire[bg] »

I`ve used apt ever since started using Debian. When i want to make things easier i use synaptic.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Issyer

Re: Aptitude vs Apt-Get

#6 Post by Issyer »

rickh wrote:We're winning the battle, one user at a time.
Actually nobody is winning anything. Yes, apt-get doesn't remove libraries. But it was not meant to. Just an example:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install mondo
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  afio buffer cdrecord dosfstools libparted1.7-1 lzop mindi mindi-busybox
  parted
Suggested packages:
  libparted1.7-dev libparted1.7-i18n less petris acl attr lilo mondo-doc
  parted-doc
Recommended packages:
  mdadm ntfsprogs linux-image-2.6-amd64 linux-image-2.6-486
  kernel-image-2.6-386 kernel-image-2.4-386 kernel-image-2.6-itanium
  kernel-image-2.4-itanium
The following NEW packages will be installed
  afio buffer cdrecord dosfstools libparted1.7-1 lzop mindi mindi-busybox
  mondo parted
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1582kB of archives.
After unpacking 4248kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 

Code: Select all

$ sudo aptitude install mondo
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information       
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done         
Building tag database... Done    
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  afio buffer cdrecord dosfstools fuse-utils libfuse2 libntfs9 
  libparted1.7-1 linux-image-2.6-amd64 linux-image-2.6.18-4-amd64 lzop 
  mdadm mindi mindi-busybox ntfsprogs parted 
The following packages have been kept back:
  libwine opera w32codecs wine 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  afio buffer cdrecord dosfstools fuse-utils libfuse2 libntfs9 
  libparted1.7-1 linux-image-2.6-amd64 linux-image-2.6.18-4-amd64 lzop 
  mdadm mindi mindi-busybox mondo ntfsprogs parted 
0 packages upgraded, 17 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/19.2MB of archives. After unpacking 73.8MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] 
If I wanted a nice graphical interface and other bloats, I would continue using Windows. But I want a fast and obedient system. I use apt-get.

Plato

#7 Post by Plato »

I use aptitude as it is really smarter when you have messed up your system.
Debian Etch 2.6.22.6 on IBM ThinkPad R50e

b9anders

#8 Post by b9anders »

craigevil wrote:No thanks, I will stick with APT.

aptitude doesn't even come preinstalled on sidux.
aptitude is a frontend for apt, same way apt-get is.
Linux user as of Jan 20007. Still getting the hang of it.

kirihito

#9 Post by kirihito »

Issyer wrote: If I wanted a nice graphical interface and other bloats, I would continue using Windows. But I want a fast and obedient system. I use apt-get.
By default aptitude automatically installs recommended packages. That can be easily changed. aptitude->options->dependency handling->Uncheck install recommended packages automatically.

actionM

#10 Post by actionM »

I'm still using BOTH! I'll let you guys know who wins...eventually.

Issyer

#11 Post by Issyer »

kirihito wrote:By default aptitude automatically installs recommended packages. That can be easily changed. aptitude->options->dependency handling->Uncheck install recommended packages automatically.
By default I can continue using apt-get without the need to figure out which package is recommended and so on.

Plato

#12 Post by Plato »

You'll lose as it is very bad idea to use apt and aptitude together. Those who complain that aptitude wants to remove their Gnome usually are apt users who decided to give aptitude a try. But the fact is that you should use either one or another unless you want to mess everything up.
Debian Etch 2.6.22.6 on IBM ThinkPad R50e

kirihito

#13 Post by kirihito »

Issyer wrote: By default I can continue using apt-get without the need to figure out which package is recommended and so on.
Why would you have to figure out which package is recommended with aptitude?

Issyer

#14 Post by Issyer »

kirihito wrote:Why would you have to figure out which package is recommended with aptitude?
Why aptitude is better? Is it faster? It removes libraries together with the executable. But there are a lot of other tools that can remove libraries, if you need. Or you can simply copy the packages that are going to be installed from the terminal and save somewhere. It doesn't make any problem at all. I don't see any huge difference between apt-get and aptitude except that I need to learn one more program.

rickh

#15 Post by rickh »

I don't see any huge difference between apt-get and aptitude except that I need to learn one more program.
Did you read the link in the OP.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

actionM

#16 Post by actionM »

Plato wrote:
You'll lose as it is very bad idea to use apt and aptitude together. Those who complain that aptitude wants to remove their Gnome usually are apt users who decided to give aptitude a try. But the fact is that you should use either one or another unless you want to mess everything up.
Thanks for the warning. I do pay attention to whats being installed and un installed so hopefully I want skrew up to bad. I take lots of notes while experimenting with things :)

Issyer

#17 Post by Issyer »

rickh wrote:
I don't see any huge difference between apt-get and aptitude except that I need to learn one more program.
Did you read the link in the OP.
I did. I myself wrote a lot of similar articles. They forgot to put some ads on this page.

plugwash

#18 Post by plugwash »

Plato wrote:
For the most part it should be ok with reasonablly modern debian, sarges aptitude had very buggy autoremoval code that did not get on well with packages installed by other means but that should be cleared up with etch.

the other common reason for things like gnome getting inadvertantly removed is the following scenario
1: gnome is installed via a metapackage
2: the user decides they don't want a particular gnome app that was pulled in by the metapackage
3: the user tries to remove the app, if they use aptitude it will try and remove all of gnome there and then. If they remove it with another tool aptitude will try and remove gnome the next time it is used.

lukillly etch's aptitude has the keep-all command for just this kind of situation so you can just remove the gnome app in question using apt-get and then immediately do aptitude keep-all.

the apt-get in lenny/sid also tracks what packages were automatically installed but unlike aptitude it does not act on this information until explicitly asked to.

kirihito

#19 Post by kirihito »

Issyer wrote: I don't see any huge difference between apt-get and aptitude except that I need to learn one more program.
It's just your example of apt-get/aptitude install mondo is flawed. Turning off one option, install recommended packages automatically, will make aptitude install and apt-get install the exact same. I wouldn't want new users getting the impression aptitude installs more then apt-get.

BioTube

#20 Post by BioTube »

In my opinion, aptitude's default removal of automatically installed packages is flawed. If you don't want one to be removed, you pretty much have to keep them all(and remember to do it consciously), whereas apt-get makes you explicitly remove automatically installed packages. The situation as it stands now leaves aptitude with only one "feature" apt-get doesn't have: a clumsy ncurses interface.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.