Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GnuHDL

Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

#1 Post by GnuHDL »

Hello!
I searched before for this issue in the forum but no result.
I've download firefox from mozilla site but I can't install it using ./install-firefox script, it doesn't run.
is it banned by Debian because of their problem with Mozilla ?
I've the 1.5 version of iceweasel and seems the 2.0 version hasn't released so my extensions doesn't work.

Thank in advance
-------------------------------------
I've Debian Etch 4.0 DVD

mechmg93

#2 Post by mechmg93 »

something is wrong. if you use etch and have it updated you should be running the latest iceweasel, not 1.5.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/sear ... elease=all

Azriel

#3 Post by Azriel »

I am currently using firefox, so it has not been banned by debian, except from the repositories :wink: .

What is the error you're getting when launching the script ?

Also, i have done differently for installing firefox. The directory in the archive is ready to use, so i've just put it in /opt, and then

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
This way, just typing firefox in a term will open a window.

Then, if you want to do a pretty nice shortcut witch a pretty nice icon, everything you want is in /opt/firefox/icons. Just do the shortcut according to your WM.

BioTube

#4 Post by BioTube »

I never got why people are so obsessed with going through the trouble of installing Firefox just to get a name and an icon. I may not agree with the reasons the whole Iceweasel thing got started, but I can live with an arctic rodent. And you really should have Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 in Etch.

apt-cache policy iceweasel
will tell you what version of the package you're running.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Chapter 6

#5 Post by Chapter 6 »

BioTube wrote:I never got why people are so obsessed with going through the trouble of installing Firefox just to get a name and an icon. I may not agree with the reasons the whole Iceweasel thing got started, but I can live with an arctic rodent. And you really should have Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 in Etch.

apt-cache policy iceweasel
will tell you what version of the package you're running.
If you've ever tried to use a website that requires Firefox or Internet Explorer, you'll understand why.

As for using Firefox just to get the icon and name, that is just wrong. I just read this morning why Mozilla protects their Firefox trademarks so vigourously. It's not that they don't want distributions using their trademarks; they really don't care who uses their trademarks. They protect their trademarks because they don't want people distributing versions of Firefox that are significantly different from the versions that Mozilla releases.

So Debian has clearly made considerable changes to the Firefox code. Therefore they are not permitted to distribute their version of Firefox under the Firefox name. Mozilla wants to be sure that anything distributed as Firefox actually is Firefox -- as they know it.
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory

BioTube

#6 Post by BioTube »

The website issue is an easily fixed user agent problem. Just set 'general.useragent.extra.firefox' to 'Firefox/2.0.0.6' in about:config. And Iceweasel came about because Debian refused to use the FF icon because it was copyrighted. Mozilla insisted that Debian use either both the name and the icon or neither; Debian chose the latter.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Chapter 6

#7 Post by Chapter 6 »

BioTube wrote:The website issue is an easily fixed user agent problem. Just set 'general.useragent.extra.firefox' to 'Firefox/2.0.0.6' in about:config. And Iceweasel came about because Debian refused to use the FF icon because it was copyrighted. Mozilla insisted that Debian use either both the name and the icon or neither; Debian chose the latter.
Why would Debian refuse to use the Firefox icon? If the copyright were such a big issue, Debian could have simply distributed Firefox in the Non-Free repository -- like they do with other copyrighted works.

Obviously there's more to it than just that. And if you compare Firefox to Iceweasel, there are considerable differences. These differences, I would suppose, would precipitate the requisite name change and forfeiture of Firefox trademark use. At least, according to what I've read from reliable sources.

BioTube

#8 Post by BioTube »

The only thing that violated the DFSG is the logo. Everything else was acceptable. Therefore, the logo was replaced with the generic one.

rasebo

#9 Post by rasebo »

Chapter 6, could you please share those sources with us?

lemoicavalier

#10 Post by lemoicavalier »

BioTube wrote:The website issue is an easily fixed user agent problem. Just set 'general.useragent.extra.firefox' to 'Firefox/2.0.0.6' in about:config.
If you're going to to hack iceweasel, why not just install the "real" thing? ;)
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.6.23.8, KDE 3.5.8
I have conquered the holy mountain horizontally!
LeMoi, He whose planet is Venus.

lemoicavalier

#11 Post by lemoicavalier »

It all started with the logo. Then Mozilla also wanted Debian to send a copy of the firefox's packages before distribution so they could approve them. http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/ar ... hp/3634591 and http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/ar ... hp/3636651

Personally I don't have a problem with the re-naming, nor I think is silly. Firefox is a trademark, and as such they need to protect it. Use it or loose, that's how it goes.

Chapter 6

#12 Post by Chapter 6 »

lemoicavalier wrote:Then Mozilla also wanted Debian to send a copy of the firefox's packages before distribution so they could approve them.
I believe they would only have to send a copy of the package for approval if there were significant changes made that would deviate from the official Firefox release. Which is pretty much what I said earlier.

Debian could have just as easily distributed Firefox in the non-free repositories. Although it is kind of ironic, because the Debian name and logo are also trademarked. So it's somewhat hypocritical of Debian. "Do as we say, not as we do."

plugwash

#13 Post by plugwash »

the mozilla logos were non free under copyright as well as trademark and mozilla would not allow use of the firefox name without the logos. Mozilla also wanted a veto over all patches that debian wanted to ship including security updates.

yes sure debian could have bumped firefox to non-free and removed all the patches (mainly to do with supporting more architectures and supporting some weired text scripts afaict) that were difficult to get past mozilla but doing that would have been a far greater loss to the debian community than a name (debian never had the official firefox logos btw though after the naming conflict they moved from the mozilla supplies unofficial build logos to logos of thier own)

Darkman

#14 Post by Darkman »

Follow these instructions:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8550165372.html
Because you're running Etch, it should work like a charm.

craigevil

#15 Post by craigevil »

I have both Iceweasel and Mozilla's Firefox, I have yet to come across a site that Iceweasel wouldn't work on that Firefox would, as for a site that only wants me to use IE I could care less. If it wants IE the webmaster is a moron.

If you must have Firefox this is a nice howto:
Howto: Install Firefox 2 and various plugins on Debian Etch - Linux Forums
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

detly

#16 Post by detly »

Chapter 6 wrote: If you've ever tried to use a website that requires Firefox or Internet Explorer, you'll understand why.
I've seen this claim a few times — just out of curiosity, does anyone have any examples of sites that work with FF but not IW?

lemoicavalier

#17 Post by lemoicavalier »

detly wrote:
Chapter 6 wrote: If you've ever tried to use a website that requires Firefox or Internet Explorer, you'll understand why.
I've seen this claim a few times — just out of curiosity, does anyone have any examples of sites that work with FF but not IW?
Rhapsody if you want to use the "play now" option. I'm sure there are other cases, the Internet is a huge place :)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

detly wrote:
I had problems with Yahoo mail. The 'compose' form was too small in Iceweasel (some 40 characters wide). However, spoofing the FF useragent fixed it. This was a couple of months ago though and I didn't really look into it since I normally don't use Yahoo mail anyway...

Tina

Pjotr

#19 Post by Pjotr »

Of course, if you're smart, you'd just use konqueror...

BioTube

#20 Post by BioTube »

Konqueror's user agent is a little subpar. There's no option for recent Firefox/IE versions and no place to put a custom string in.