Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
lemoicavalier

#21 Post by lemoicavalier »

BioTube wrote:Konqueror's user agent is a little subpar. There's no option for recent Firefox/IE versions and no place to put a custom string in.
Not to mention that some sites actually do need at least Firefox for real technical reasons (A few examples were given here already)... And all because of crappy web developers, must of which don't even know what the W3C is.
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.6.23.8, KDE 3.5.8
I have conquered the holy mountain horizontally!
LeMoi, He whose planet is Venus.

Eck

#22 Post by Eck »

If you got the user agent switcher for Iceweasel you could get into just about any site, including those looking for Internet Explorer (unless you needed Active X).

A bit of searching will find that for you, as well as a newer list a few sites have available.

I used Firefox 1.0.5 (Slackware Linux) to get Rhapsody working. Yes, this is on Debian, but the Debian setting didn't work. Most just work with default Iceweasel and the majority of the rest work with the Firefox 2.0 (Windows XP) switch. Crazy, but Rhapsody need that old versioned Slackware one. There's lots of different choices and you get a menu in the Tools drop down to switch between them. But it's really rarely needed. My banks work without using it.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

GnuHDL

#23 Post by GnuHDL »

Thank you my friends!
your answers Practically and Philosophically were great! :D

L_V

#24 Post by L_V »

Chapter 6 wrote:So Debian has clearly made considerable changes to the Firefox code. .
Where is it possible to find a list of these "considerable" changes from Firefox to Iceweasel ?
It should help for better clarity. Still obscure to me.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by canci »

BioTube wrote:The only thing that violated the DFSG is the logo. Everything else was acceptable. Therefore, the logo was replaced with the generic one.
Well, yes, but Iceweasel is also different in that it is maintained by the
Debian team, so in terms of security, it is more tailored to the Debian
system... I think :? Isn't it?

Well anyway, I'd always trust Debian packages more than ones I compile
myself, or I get from wild repos (If I have the choice). And the Firefox issue
is really fixed in a jiffy... There was a thread about this, so it won't be hard to
find. With the user agent you can also make the site believe you had
Windows instead of Linux. Dunno if this would be any useful, but maybe it
comes in handy when downloading crappy proprietary whatever from the MS site...

Evil, ha? :)
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Velvet Elvis

#26 Post by Velvet Elvis »

L_V wrote:
Chapter 6 wrote:So Debian has clearly made considerable changes to the Firefox code. .
Where is it possible to find a list of these "considerable" changes from Firefox to Iceweasel ?
It should help for better clarity. Still obscure to me.
apt-get source iceweasel

the diffs should be in there.

Firefox is very windows centric. Debian (and any other linux distro worth its salt) has to do a fair bit of hacking to turn it into a well behaved unix application. The geko and javacript libraries are split out into their own packages so that all geko based browsers in debian use them without there having to be two copies of the same codebase in use at the same time.

go to about:buildconfig to see the compile time options.

L_V

#27 Post by L_V »

Velvet Elvis wrote:apt-get source iceweasel
the diffs should be in there.
I forgot to say I am not a developer.
The problem is when you have different behaviors between Firefox and Iceweasel, you get lost because you don't have any Iceweasel support to understand what happens (can happen with JavaScript).

A difference summary (not a code diff) should at least be welcome to better understand.
I've tried Iceweasel, but back to Firefox because noticed some differences (ie font management), and bored playing with tricky mozilla profiles for font settings, or QT/Gtk problems.

And Thunderbird: I am using V2 for more than one year ! (since alpha).
Icedove is still V1.5.
Dangerous to mix V1.5 and V2 profiles (at least it has been dangerous....)
Then using Thunderbird I get from mozilla ftp.

Velvet Elvis

#28 Post by Velvet Elvis »

to get the default mozzilla.org font handling put the following in /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc:

MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1

L_V

#29 Post by L_V »

If you read this Image , needless to say this iceweaselrc file also needs some clarification.

I've found this in mine:

Code: Select all

# which /dev/dsp wrapper to use
ICEWEASEL_DSP="none"
Without any explanation, don't know what this new file is managing.
The added value of Iceweasel vs Firefox should be better communicated, as well as configuration file differences.

More generally speaking, I support this one:
maclag wrote:I still think the font management in debian (and linux in general) is a nightmare, with all the different tools (which one should we use? fontconfig? defoma? other one?) and confusion between app fonts and Xorg fonts.

plugwash

#30 Post by plugwash »

debian builds with the pango font rendering back end enabled, i'm not sure exactly why but I think it has to do with better internationalisation than the one mozilla uses in the official builds.

Other than that I think most of the changes in iceweasel are bugfixes, rebranding and fixes for architectures that mozilla doesn't support.

L_V

#31 Post by L_V »

plugwash wrote:debian builds with the pango font rendering back end enabled, i'm not sure exactly why
Is it something to add to the linux font management complexity nightmare ?
The lack of any explanation anywhere of some Debian specificities, is for me, a weakness of Debian.
I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user, simply because I am not a developer able to imagine the answers of all these questions specific to Debian.

Velvet Elvis

#32 Post by Velvet Elvis »

It's all explained in /user/share/doc/iceweasel

Apparently there are places in asia where if you want to use the default mozilla.org font rendering and print at the same time you're out of luck. Or something like that.

If you think fonts are a mess in western typefaces, think about languages with a few thousand characters.

this is what pango does:
http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery

txHarleyMan

#33 Post by txHarleyMan »

L_V wrote:I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user
" You should probably choose something else if ...
you are new to Unix
you need to use top-of-the-line hardware
you want to run Debian because 'it is cool'
you want a working system and are unwilling to figure out how it works"

Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#34 Post by Lavene »

txHarleyMan wrote:
L_V wrote:I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user
" You should probably choose something else if ...
you are new to Unix"
<snip>
Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
Crap! I haven't used Unix in my life! Oh well... off to ubuntu then... :P

MeanDean

#35 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: you want to run Debian because 'it is cool'
why, isn't debian cool?
you want a working system and are unwilling to figure out how it works"
my system works and I haven't bothered to try and figure anything out since about the woody days...although I am willing - just havent seen the need

L_V

#36 Post by L_V »

Velvet Elvis wrote:It's all explained in /user/share/doc/iceweasel
I cannot check because I do not have Iceweasel installed anymore.
I can tell you layout.css.dpi key does not behave the same between Fx and IW. Why ? Don't know.
I don't understand the logic to have to install a software to find the doc, and then, read it to understand what is the software you just installed.

In summary, 95% of users think that Iceweasel= Firefox, but the logos and "details" like that.
This is not true, based on my observation.
A "normal" user would appreciate to clearly find what is Iceweasel before installing it, or at least find some support somewhere.
I even don't know if I am a "normal" user anymore.
But I still use Debian (for the moment).
But Gutsy/ubuntu could be my next one, because for example, I never succeeded to control the suspend feature with my keyboard with Etch (it worked with Feisty without doing anything).

txHarleyMan

#37 Post by txHarleyMan »

dean, youre being mean

even // I // understand this.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#38 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
Publisher: No Starch Press; 1 edition (September 19, 2005)

Might of been true in early 2005 and before.....but that was ages ago in linux years!

txHarleyMan

#39 Post by txHarleyMan »

Very Good! You're doing a lil research now.

But I'm afraid it still holds true to this day. Debian is on the deeper end of the pool. It is not for everyone. If you want or need handholding, better to use a forked distribution.

And I am sure you have heard "you get out of something what you put into it".
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#40 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: But I'm afraid it still holds true to this day. Debian is on the deeper end of the pool. It is not for everyone. If you want or need handholding, better to use a forked distribution.
Then start a new thread and prove it to me.....without using quotes from 2005, thanks.